#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 12-06-2023, 05:27 PM   #1
SammYyYyY

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
ZL1 1LE Basic Bolt-Ons Question

Hey all!

Recently, I found a deal on a pair of LT headers and catted connection pipes that I couldn’t resist, so I snagged them.

Aside from a Rotofab Big Gulp intake, I’m trying to decide what other bolt ons I should add before getting dyno tuned (obviously both the LTs and Big Gulp are going to require dyno tuning). I have a reputable shop nearby that is known for building and tuning Gen V LT engines, so that I have figured out.

I’m not sure if I want to pulley down just yet for a few reasons, the main being heat soak; temperatures in the summer here can hit triple digits, and I don’t think I want to deal with the heat soaking that comes along with that.

Would there be any benefit to an X-pipe? The current plan is to run the LTs and the catted connection pipes with the stock X-pipe and axle back; would snagging the X-pipe result in any power gains compared to the stock X-pipe? I think I would like the idea for sound, but if there is no power gain then I’m not as interested.

I’d like to hear anyone’s input as to what other basic bolt ons I should do at the same time
SammYyYyY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 06:20 PM   #2
CalgaryZL1

Drives: 2020 Chevy Camaro ZL1
Just take what you have and get it tuned first, if you’re happy with it good enough! you can take a stock car and get it tuned to perform better with stock parts
CalgaryZL1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 06:23 PM   #3
AZIROC

Drives: '86 IROC-Z '18 ZL1
I did cai, kooks long tubes w/ mid pipes, borla axle back and a 2.3 upper all at the same time. Mostly because I didn't want to pay for a tune (retune) just for the pulley.

As far as the xpipe...its up to you. Alot of people run LT's into the stock muffler.
AZIROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 07:51 PM   #4
KILLA BEE
Black lightning

Drives: 2021 ZL1 1LE A10
Ethanol, that’s what most do at first rather than go bizerk
Old 12-06-2023, 10:47 PM   #5
SammYyYyY

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZIROC View Post
I did cai, kooks long tubes w/ mid pipes, borla axle back and a 2.3 upper all at the same time. Mostly because I didn't want to pay for a tune (retune) just for the pulley.

As far as the xpipe...its up to you. Alot of people run LT's into the stock muffler.
How much did you pick up from the mods listed? Any heat soaking issues from the 2.3 pulley?

Also, do you/your tuner suspect that you picked up anything from the Borla axle-back?
Old 12-07-2023, 05:57 AM   #6
BunnyBoy

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SammYyYyY View Post
Hey all!

Recently, I found a deal on a pair of LT headers and catted connection pipes that I couldn’t resist, so I snagged them.

Aside from a Rotofab Big Gulp intake, I’m trying to decide what other bolt ons I should add before getting dyno tuned (obviously both the LTs and Big Gulp are going to require dyno tuning). I have a reputable shop nearby that is known for building and tuning Gen V LT engines, so that I have figured out.

I’m not sure if I want to pulley down just yet for a few reasons, the main being heat soak; temperatures in the summer here can hit triple digits, and I don’t think I want to deal with the heat soaking that comes along with that.

Would there be any benefit to an X-pipe? The current plan is to run the LTs and the catted connection pipes with the stock X-pipe and axle back; would snagging the X-pipe result in any power gains compared to the stock X-pipe? I think I would like the idea for sound, but if there is no power gain then I’m not as interested.

I’d like to hear anyone’s input as to what other basic bolt ons I should do at the same time

Your halfway to a JRE 125 Package. Ditch the pulley and do flexfuel.Also get bigger Throttle body. This is the best bang for buck IMO.
BunnyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 02:26 PM   #7
SammYyYyY

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyBoy View Post
Your halfway to a JRE 125 Package. Ditch the pulley and do flexfuel.Also get bigger Throttle body. This is the best bang for buck IMO.
I was thinking about that as well.

My one concern with going with a bigger throttle body is that you can't run a Katech 103mm on a stock blower, correct? It needs to be ported.

What size throttle body would I go with? I don't want to buy a TB that will be a bottleneck in the future if I decide to port the blower, you feel?

Also, as far as what's included in the JRE125 kit, they're kind of vague on the flexfuel stuff; seems like I would need the following:

-JMS Voltage Booster
-HP Tuners MPVI 2 (Would this be required since I'm dyno tuning with my shop?)
-LT5 throttle body (Refer to throttle body question above.)
-MSD Spark Plug Wires
-NGK Spark Plugs
-"Flex Fuel Sensor Kit" (What does this consist of exactly? This is what I was saying when they're kinda vague on their site).

On this setup, I would be limited to E40 on the stock fuel system, correct?
Old 12-07-2023, 04:52 PM   #8
BunnyBoy

Quote:
I was thinking about that as well.

My one concern with going with a bigger throttle body is that you can't run a Katech 103mm on a stock blower, correct? It needs to be ported.

What size throttle body would I go with? I don't want to buy a TB that will be a bottleneck in the future if I decide to port the blower, you feel?

Also, as far as what's included in the JRE125 kit, they're kind of vague on the flexfuel stuff; seems like I would need the following:

-JMS Voltage Booster
-HP Tuners MPVI 2 (Would this be required since I'm dyno tuning with my shop?)
-LT5 throttle body (Refer to throttle body question above.)
-MSD Spark Plug Wires
-NGK Spark Plugs
-"Flex Fuel Sensor Kit" (What does this consist of exactly? This is what I was saying when they're kinda vague on their site).

On this setup, I would be limited to E40 on the stock fuel system, correct?

I did the 125 Package on my car. Installed all the parts and had him remote tune. Honestly, its scary how much this woke the car up and how much better it runs. And how much faster the car feels running 45 - 50 percent E.

Not sure on your throttle body questions but I would ask Ted on that. He will gladly talk you through it. I did the LT5 with the adapter plate.

As far as the HP tuners /Credits - You are going to ahve to buy some of this either way tuning.
Old 12-12-2023, 08:38 AM   #9
2023_ZL1-AUTO

Drives: 2023 ZL1 - Modified All Bolt On's
On topic to OP's comments: But I didn't think a 103mm TB could fit a stock blower snout with out getting the blower ported? I had to use an adapter on mine just to fit a 100mm TB? Am I missing something?

EDIT: I need to read more closely ! It was addressed above !!!

Thanks King !
2023 ZL1 A10 - CSP 2" Long Tube Headers by Stainless Works | Gesi G-Sport High Flow CATs | Stainless Works Legend NPP Axle Back | Roto-Fab Big Gulp | Kong NM103mm | Kong X-Port/Polish w/Griptech 2.3" Upper | Granatelli Malevolent Coil Packs | Granatelli 0 Ohm Plug Wires | Katech Valve Covers w/Coil Relocation | FI Interchillers Blower Spacer Plates | Mighty Mouse Mild | JMS Flex Fuel Booster | DSX Flex Fuel Kit | DSX Billet Lid | DMS 2gal Fender Tank | NT555R2's 305/285 | AEM w/b AFR | Banks iDash Data Monster | HPTuners MPVi3 Module and Licenses (ECU & CCM) | Remote Tuned by Ted at JRE

Last edited by 2023_ZL1-AUTO; 12-12-2023 at 09:08 AM.
2023_ZL1-AUTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2023, 08:50 AM   #10
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Headers, Ported blower, 103tb, Big gulp, Flex sensor, E50, proper tuning. That's all you need for a high 9 second capable car in the 1/4 mile with traction. I have tuned several of them and they are easy to do remotely.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2023, 11:49 AM   #11
BunnyBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
Headers, Ported blower, 103tb, Big gulp, Flex sensor, E50, proper tuning. That's all you need for a high 9 second capable car in the 1/4 mile with traction. I have tuned several of them and they are easy to do remotely.

Whats your normal HP to wheels with that?

And what fuel upgrades?
Old 12-12-2023, 11:54 AM   #12
SOCAL.M6.ZLE
Having FUN in the SUN...

Drives: 2022 M6 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Hey all!

If you have E85 near by, I would add that also before you invest in a tune.
ALL the RED Rear End BMR Goodies + JRE Terminator Cam Package + Remote Tuning and Moral Support from TED @ JRE
BMR Motor Mounts + DMS Front HX + FIC 30's + APEX SM.10's + 305/345 R888R's = 770rwhp 785rwtq @E50 13.5psi
SOCAL.M6.ZLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2023, 02:33 PM   #13
SammYyYyY

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOCAL.M6.ZLE View Post
If you have E85 near by, I would add that also before you invest in a tune.
I think it's attainable around here? I don't know if there are any stations that have E85 pumps directly, but I know that there are shops where you can buy E85 in cans for pretty reasonable prices (I believe this is what all of the DAZA guys do around here, since that platform is SO dependent on E85 to make power).

If I do go the ethanol route, I would want a FlexFuel tune for convenience; I'm frankly not interested in running E85 at all times, just for spirited weekend drives with friends and whatnot. It would be something that I would use when going to the track and/or roll racing events.

What kind of fueling upgrades are required to run E85?
Old 12-12-2023, 04:18 PM   #14
SOCAL.M6.ZLE
Having FUN in the SUN...

Drives: 2022 M6 ZL1 1LE
You are correct, you will get a flex tune and will need to blend. no mods needed to start. With your bolt ons, you should be able to run around E50 no problem... Well worth the investment.
ALL the RED Rear End BMR Goodies + JRE Terminator Cam Package + Remote Tuning and Moral Support from TED @ JRE
BMR Motor Mounts + DMS Front HX + FIC 30's + APEX SM.10's + 305/345 R888R's = 770rwhp 785rwtq @E50 13.5psi
SOCAL.M6.ZLE is offline   Reply With Quote