Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 11-12-2019, 10:35 PM   #15
RobbyBeefcake87

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by s346k View Post
the iats are already ambient if the car is moving. it was one of the first things i noticed after logging.
I'm assuming his dropped iat measurements were while not moving which may have some benefit at launch.

I still believe there will be some benefit to the "ram air" effect helping push more air in especially at speed.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE - GM cai, black bowties, suede knee bolsters, 1le plate frame, black fuel door, dark tails + 3rd brake light, euro side markers + led's, GM all weather floor mats, velossatech big mouth, GM strut brace.
2017 Corvette Grandsport (sold) - untouched.
2006 GTO (sold) - iat relocation, air box mod, monero side marker lights.
RobbyBeefcake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 06:37 PM   #16
driven2exceSS

Drives: 2016 2SS BLK A8 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgon4948 View Post
Does anyone have experience with this product and can give opinions? If not, what are your thoughts? I want to install it on an N/A SS. Not sure yet if i'll run a SC in the future. Thanks.
My experience, only this past weekend with this unit installed at NJMP, certainly did no harm. Lets just leave it at that.. because I have no data but the seat of my pant and a couple of ears dialed into my normal intake sound. This BIG MOUTH Ram Air Intake Snorkel plus the cool weather came together quite nicely I think. Cheers
NPP, MRC, Tinted side & rear reflectors, OEM ZL1 Rockers / 3rd Brake / Darken tail lights, OEM Blk rear splash guards, Satin hood wrap, Fuse pull, Sound tube delete, Cat delete, Ported 95 TB, Ported MSD IM, Dry RotoFab, ARH 1 7/8 headers, E85, "Performance Dyno" Tune, BMR "pieces", "Track" alignment, Hawk DCT-70/70's w/SRF, Goodridge lines, Ti shims, Red powdered calipers, 18" APEX SM-10's w/ Pirelli DH's, FE4 Vert swaybars, Brake cooling ducts, ATI 10% UD, Vorshlag camber plates, OEM 1LE Splitter w/APR Ext., Velossa BIG MOUTH Ram Air, CF QA1, ZLE brakes(F)
driven2exceSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 12:33 AM   #17
dgon4948

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by driven2exceSS View Post
My experience, only this past weekend with this unit installed at NJMP, certainly did no harm. Lets just leave it at that.. because I have no data but the seat of my pant and a couple of ears dialed into my normal intake sound. This BIG MOUTH Ram Air Intake Snorkel plus the cool weather came together quite nicely I think. Cheers
So you can feel a noticeable difference?
dgon4948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 08:38 AM   #18
driven2exceSS

Drives: 2016 2SS BLK A8 Vert
Quote:
So you can feel a noticeable difference?
My butt dyno, and ears, and the improved lap time at the track say yes I did feel a difference. Again, no true data obtained. It's not going to be an earth shattering OMG difference, but it has to help, especially at speed.
NPP, MRC, Tinted side & rear reflectors, OEM ZL1 Rockers / 3rd Brake / Darken tail lights, OEM Blk rear splash guards, Satin hood wrap, Fuse pull, Sound tube delete, Cat delete, Ported 95 TB, Ported MSD IM, Dry RotoFab, ARH 1 7/8 headers, E85, "Performance Dyno" Tune, BMR "pieces", "Track" alignment, Hawk DCT-70/70's w/SRF, Goodridge lines, Ti shims, Red powdered calipers, 18" APEX SM-10's w/ Pirelli DH's, FE4 Vert swaybars, Brake cooling ducts, ATI 10% UD, Vorshlag camber plates, OEM 1LE Splitter w/APR Ext., Velossa BIG MOUTH Ram Air, CF QA1, ZLE brakes(F)

Last edited by driven2exceSS; 12-05-2019 at 09:07 AM.
driven2exceSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 03:37 PM   #19
MGD

Drives: 16 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverDie View Post
The tradeoff in lower IATs should more than make up for that.

If you are taking in less heat, you need less cooling.
So, when you drive your car in -20 degrees, you need no cooling?
Engine does not care if it sucks in 80 degrees air or 110 degrees. Engine temp. is controlled by the thermostat.
Old 12-06-2019, 05:25 PM   #20
USAFS197

Drives: 2018 Audi TT RS
I had a Focus ST with one of these. For those of you who do not or did not see the path the air takes to actually get into the filter area, it may be difficult to quantify how this can help the car breathe. I was talking to VelossaTech for nearly two years about making one of these for the 6th Gen. Unfortunately I was deployed when they were doing their test fitting so, I couldn’t lend them my car. They aren’t a huge shop and you won’t see a lot of metrics coming from them. So all the demands for data from the company just won’t happen. I mean, all of these pieces are literally 3D printed. Folks will buy them and folks will test them. That’s how you’ll get your real world data and that’s how it took off in the Focus ST world and others alike.

I’m confident that this will have a measurable impact upon performance.
About as fast as the TT RS
2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Sold
2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Sold
2019 Corvette Z06
Sold
2021 Charger Hellcat Redeye Widebody
Sold
USAFS197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 06:00 PM   #21
BlackbeastSS2

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1LE Shock Candy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGD View Post
So, when you drive your car in -20 degrees, you need no cooling?
Engine does not care if it sucks in 80 degrees air or 110 degrees. Engine temp. is controlled by the thermostat.
This above.

Plus if in fact it is able to suck in more air and increase velocity then it’s going to upset air/fuel trims so a tune is needed even if the product does not increase Power levels.

They need to provide facts. Believe me by just getting in more air in your air intake is not always the way to go depending on your set up. Cooler air is more the key and that’s where an interchiller comes into play. “IAT”
Diamond Piston & Manley Rods, Roto Fab Big Gulp
BTR Push Rods,LS7 Lifters, ARP, FI Chiller, Kirkey Seats
SJM Line Lock, Hurst Pistol Grip. 747/739 RWHP street tune - 821/794 RWHP track tune 98 octane.
2014 Mini Cooper countryman S All4 M6 daily driver
BlackbeastSS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 05:44 AM   #22
wnta1ss

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFS197 View Post
I had a Focus ST with one of these. For those of you who do not or did not see the path the air takes to actually get into the filter area, it may be difficult to quantify how this can help the car breathe. I was talking to VelossaTech for nearly two years about making one of these for the 6th Gen. Unfortunately I was deployed when they were doing their test fitting so, I couldn’t lend them my car. They aren’t a huge shop and you won’t see a lot of metrics coming from them. So all the demands for data from the company just won’t happen. I mean, all of these pieces are literally 3D printed. Folks will buy them and folks will test them. That’s how you’ll get your real world data and that’s how it took off in the Focus ST world and others alike.

I’m confident that this will have a measurable impact upon performance.
I have looked at one of these installed on an SS, and I can see that it will very likely help get air to the airbox more easily than the stock setup does. I think that it's effect will be more at higher speeds of course. Might not show much, if anything, on a static dyno, but dyno numbers are not important, on-track performance is the only thing that really matters.
wnta1ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 02:56 PM   #23
dgon4948

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackbeastSS2 View Post
This above.

Plus if in fact it is able to suck in more air and increase velocity then it’s going to upset air/fuel trims so a tune is needed even if the product does not increase Power levels.

They need to provide facts. Believe me by just getting in more air in your air intake is not always the way to go depending on your set up. Cooler air is more the key and that’s where an interchiller comes into play. “IAT”
I have a shop in San Antonio that will let me do free dyno pulls. I'm going to see if I can do a before and after comparison in a few weeks. That will be the best way to get some kind of numbers. It's a friend of a friend so I still have to see but hopefully I can get that done. The only mod I will have is a roto-fab intake. Or should I do the test with the stock box? As of now, all my car has is a Mishimoto catch can ha so whatever gains will be just attributed to the snorkel. I will need to simulate wind though for it to be remotely relevant data; hopefully they do that.
Old 12-07-2019, 04:19 PM   #24
BlackbeastSS2

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1LE Shock Candy
Quote:
I have a shop in San Antonio that will let me do free dyno pulls. I'm going to see if I can do a before and after comparison in a few weeks. That will be the best way to get some kind of numbers. It's a friend of a friend so I still have to see but hopefully I can get that done. The only mod I will have is a roto-fab intake. Or should I do the test with the stock box? As of now, all my car has is a Mishimoto catch can ha so whatever gains will be just attributed to the snorkel. I will need to simulate wind though for it to be remotely relevant data; hopefully they do that.
In theory it should work but in reality to get any gains I would think you would have to be going X amount of MPH in order to help performance. Like the Bill Wicker spoiler you have to be going 150 MPH to gain the full performance down force.

So just for a stock street car I would think very very little gains, it’s more of a mod hey look what I got IMO. Not to many of us Camaro guys race around the track at over X amount of MPH to gain the desired performance valve that the designer had in mind. Either way if you like the mod get it, but keep in mind that screwing with the air flow in the air intake will upset MAF valves that may need correction by a tune. The ECM cam only adjust so much.

Will be looking forward to your pulls, u should do both if u can. Stock/Rotofab
Diamond Piston & Manley Rods, Roto Fab Big Gulp
BTR Push Rods,LS7 Lifters, ARP, FI Chiller, Kirkey Seats
SJM Line Lock, Hurst Pistol Grip. 747/739 RWHP street tune - 821/794 RWHP track tune 98 octane.
2014 Mini Cooper countryman S All4 M6 daily driver
BlackbeastSS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 05:28 PM   #25
dgon4948

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackbeastSS2 View Post
In theory it should work but in reality to get any gains I would think you would have to be going X amount of MPH in order to help performance. Like the Bill Wicker spoiler you have to be going 150 MPH to gain the full performance down force.

So just for a stock street car I would think very very little gains, it’s more of a mod hey look what I got IMO. Not to many of us Camaro guys race around the track at over X amount of MPH to gain the desired performance valve that the designer had in mind. Either way if you like the mod get it, but keep in mind that screwing with the air flow in the air intake will upset MAF valves that may need correction by a tune. The ECM cam only adjust so much.

Will be looking forward to your pulls, u should do both if u can. Stock/Rotofab
My understanding, which goes along with what you said, is that there is a pressure drop in the higher RPMs, especially at higher speeds; any real gains will be at speed. I've read a few people put together data on the pressure drop issue with the stock box and also the roto-fab CAI. I don't believe it'll make a wild difference but even a 5hp increase or hair better top end would be cool. I don't believe it'll be enough to throw off the stock tune, I think it can learn. However, I definitely agree that a tune would be ideal. I'm just not near that point yet. I plan on doing just the snorkel, CAI, and a throttle body from Soler Performance. I heard one other guy run that set up on stock tune with no issues and felt gains. Again, all three in conjunction with a tune would definitely make some decent gains. Worth a shot, why not. You know?
Old 12-07-2019, 06:34 PM   #26
Mcmillion

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1998 SS 1992 Typhoon
I won one of these on their instagram contest. I will have to remind them. Ram air seemed to help on the c7 Z06, I had Halltech CAI with Ram Air, and the Fasterproms car when it was first to 9s used ram air.
Mcmillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 12:06 PM   #27
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
I just ordered one of these up. Looks to be a much better solution then just removing the rain baffle (or whatever that OEM piece is).
Old 01-12-2020, 12:15 PM   #28
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
It’s a good piece. I’m surprised EVERYONE isn’t running it. It likely gives the same improvement as a Rotofab for a fraction of the price. It helped me run the time below first time out with it in the fall before it went into hibernation. Have a few low cost tweaks for 2020 to get it done, with this on it, I think it will all come together.