Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 11-11-2019, 02:13 PM   #15
LARRY01Z28

Drives: 2001Camaro Z28
nice man. I miss my 01Z28. wish I would have kept it.
LARRY01Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 03:05 PM   #16
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Congrats man!!!

The SS 1LE is a rock star and hits several belts above its class.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 04:55 PM   #17
JROC
Account Suspended

Drives: 19 Camaro SS 1LE, 03 Ford Lightning
Quote:
Originally Posted by s346k View Post
jroc...digging the username. and the cars.
Thanks. My name's Jesse and my friends started calling me J-Rock when I was in high school. The only thing I can figure is they got it from the movie "South Central." I think the main characters kid was called J-Rock. IDK if that's where they got it from or not though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
Congrats man!!!

The SS 1LE is a rock star and hits several belts above its class.
Just a quick question how does your 1LE compare with your Z06's? I've always wanted a C6Z and contemplated getting one vs. the 1LE, but decided to get something new and with a warranty. Also the LS7 valve issue would force me to get head work done and the GEN6 Camaros seem to be pretty reliable vehicles overall. If you get rid of the run-flats how do the C6Z and the GEN6 SS 1LE compare in their handling?

When the C6Z first went on sell I hated it as I was a Ford guy, and had a Terminator and when seeing new bone stock C6Z's competing with if not beating TS Terminators had me saying WTF? Lol. I have never driven or ridden in a C6Z but I love them. A large/powerful SBC in a very lightweight and perfectly balanced car is just really cool. Maybe one day I get one.
JROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 05:40 PM   #18
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JROC View Post
Thanks. My name's Jesse and my friends started calling me J-Rock when I was in high school. The only thing I can figure is they got it from the movie "South Central." I think the main characters kid was called J-Rock. IDK if that's where they got it from or not though.

Just a quick question how does your 1LE compare with your Z06's? I've always wanted a C6Z and contemplated getting one vs. the 1LE, but decided to get something new and with a warranty. Also the LS7 valve issue would force me to get head work done and the GEN6 Camaros seem to be pretty reliable vehicles overall. If you get rid of the run-flats how do the C6Z and the GEN6 SS 1LE compare in their handling?

When the C6Z first went on sell I hated it as I was a Ford guy, and had a Terminator and when seeing new bone stock C6Z's competing with if not beating TS Terminators had me saying WTF? Lol. I have never driven or ridden in a C6Z but I love them. A large/powerful SBC in a very lightweight and perfectly balanced car is just really cool. Maybe one day I get one.
It's been a while since I had it, but from what I can remember, the C6Z was quicker in a straight line and had a sharper turn-in and was pretty tossable, however the rear-end with the stock shocks was not very settled. I had to upgrade to DRM Bilstein shocks to get the rear-end to behave.

1st gear was useless as it just spun the tires, but I loved the LS7 (minus the head/value issue. I would love to seen an LS7 in the SS 1LE, manufactured correctly of course.

Having said that, My C6Z was bought back on the Lemon Law due to the Head/value issue. It went on me at 9K miles, was rebuilt by GM and then 1K miles later, I was drinking oil , a qt. a day. That is when I filed the lemon law case and won.

The SS 1LE Alpha chassis is superior to the C6Z chassis when it comes to stability and driver confident at the limits. The C6Z was faster and had a little higher G limits though.

Obviously the C6 interior sucks compared the 6th Gen. Camaro, mine made god awful creaking noises with every button you pushed in it.

To me the C7Z is too overkill for the street, the power levels are just about right in the LS7, just wish they were reliable. I think the 2015 Z/28 has the LS7, so maybe they fixed the issue by then, but DAMN, how I wish I had the LS7 in my SS 1LE.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06

Last edited by TRZ06; 11-11-2019 at 06:27 PM.
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 06:30 PM   #19
JROC
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
It's been a while since I had it, but from what I can remember, the C6Z was quicker in a straight line and had a sharper turn-in and was pretty tossable, however the rear-end with the stock shocks was not very settled. I had to upgrade to DRM Bilstein shocks to get the rear-end to behave.

1st gear was useless as it just spun the tires, but I loved the LS7 (minus the head/value issue. I would love to seen an LS7 in the SS 1LE, manufactured correctly of course.

Having said that, My C6Z was bought back on the Lemon Law due to the Head/value issue. It went on me at 9K miles, was rebuilt by GM and then 1K miles later, I was drinking oil , a qt. a day. That is when I filed the lemon law case and won.

The SS 1LE Alpha chassis is superior to the C6Z chassis when it comes to stability and driver confident at the limits. The C6Z was faster and had a little higher G limits though.

Obviously the C6 interior sucks compared the 6th Gen. Camaro, mine made god awful creaking noises with every button you pushed in it.

To me the C7Z is too overkill for the street, the power levels are just about right in the LS7, just wish they were reliable. I think the 2015 Z/28 has the LS&, so maybe they fixed the issue by then, but DAMN, how I wish I had the LS7 in my SS 1LE.
A LS motor with a 4" stroke, a 4.125" bore and a 7,200 RPM redline with some head options that allow it to outflow most any other factory motor out there would be awesome in a GEN6 SS 1LE!
Old 11-11-2019, 10:25 PM   #20
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
c6z is the last cowboy. soon enough, i will own one of those in addition to the 1LE.
Old 11-12-2019, 03:38 PM   #21
Daily1LE

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
I did a very similar thing, selling my 02 WS6 for a 18 1LE.
I sold the TA afterwards private party. Attached are some pics of the last few days I had both cars.

You will love it! Best of luck with it and enjoy!
Attached Images

Daily1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 04:09 PM   #22
CrazyCatGuy
I'm the cats pajamas baby

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Congrats my friend, I like the red!
Old 11-12-2019, 04:22 PM   #23
avalonandl

Drives: 2019 ZL-1
Congrats, you are way ahead with the Gen 6.

The 02' was last of the Gen4..... and that Gen was around a looooong time,,,,,

2012 Yukon XL Denali w/ 6.2 AWD
avalonandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 11:40 PM   #24
Eldi Z

Drives: 17' 1SS 1LE GBA-Black
Congrats. Good choice and there is absolutely no comparison to the Gen4 (no matter what suspension mods you made). You will soon understand it when you begin seriously driving the Gen6.
The Alpha chassis of the Gen6 (and ATS, CTS from 2014/15) was the most advanced platform in GM's offering, before the recent launch of the C8.
The Alpha chassis outperforms the C7 Vette' as well, since the C7 still uses the outdated, 1984 released Y-Body (same as in the C5 and C6 as well).
The C8 is a new world of course...
Eldi Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 09:01 AM   #25
NeverDie
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldi Z View Post
The Alpha chassis outperforms the C7 Vette' as well, since the C7 still uses the outdated, 1984 released Y-Body (same as in the C5 and C6 as well).
lol
NeverDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 09:32 AM   #26
Hops

Drives: 2019 1ss 1le, blue wrap
The red looks good!
Hops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 10:09 AM   #27
Ventura 1LE

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JROC View Post
I traded this:

For this:

The GEN6 SS 1LE is quite an impressive car. I'm liking it.
Congrats on the SS 1LE. Enjoy the look backs as you drive her. Your in a pretty elite group not many of them in SC as opposed to living out here in SoCal. You got to stretch her legs out on a HPDE event to enjoy the full throws of her.

Speaking of SC is and still considered my home state. Alot of family in the Upstate area..
Ventura 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 07:16 PM   #28
JROC
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daily1LE View Post
I did a very similar thing, selling my 02 WS6 for a 18 1LE.
I sold the TA afterwards private party. Attached are some pics of the last few days I had both cars.

You will love it! Best of luck with it and enjoy!
Nice Bird and new 1LE. Very few cars have been made that have the presents of a 98-02 WS6 coming at you on the road. They are such a mean, and pissed off looking car, but sexy as hell at the same time. I've had quite a few friends with them.

I miss Pontiac. GM needs to bring them back. How cool would a Firehawk based of a GEN6 1LE be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldi Z View Post
Congrats. Good choice and there is absolutely no comparison to the Gen4 (no matter what suspension mods you made). You will soon understand it when you begin seriously driving the Gen6.
Yeah no chit. Lol. If I'm pushing my GEN4 thru a turn hard at 60 MPH, then this thing will do 80 MPH thru the same turn and be totally drama free. My 02 had Koni SA shocks, BMR springs, Hellwig anti-sway bars, Founders LCA's and PHB, GEN5 SS front Brembos, MWC FLSFC's, and OEM C6Z Speedline wheels with the Cooper tires that have the 200 treadwear rating. I think that was all my chassis/suspension mods. It really is a freaking trip. I don't want to search for my 1LE's limits too hard and end up finding them on the street at 100+ MPH.

This car is kind of boring in the sense that if you push it towards its limits then you're doing ludicrous speed and the street's are just not the place for it. Even merging this motor is deceivingly strong. You plan on merging on the interstate by dropping down to third and then you notice that you don't need to as you're aready going 90 MPH in 5th getting ready to downshift. It's just so good and composed that you don't realize how fast you're going. With the LS1 you have to work it to make good speed. I've always though the LS1 felt kind of VTEC'ish as they feel kind of weak until like 3,500 RPM and then they just surge to life. I've always found the LS motors with 4"+ bore to make noticeably better lowend power, but this LT1 is very broad. It kind of reminds me of my old Terminator. Not quite that torquey as a modded Terminator, but it just has power whenever you give it throttle even lugging in higher gears. The motor is also very responsive, but that's never been an issue for LS motors.

One thing I'm not loving is its heavy steering. It feels more like a "fly-by-wire" type of turning where steering seems almost more dictated by how much pressure you apply on the steering wheel as apposed to how far you turn it. I'm sure I'll adapt. It communicates what it's doing well enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventura 1LE View Post
Congrats on the SS 1LE. Enjoy the look backs as you drive her. Your in a pretty elite group not many of them in SC as opposed to living out here in SoCal. You got to stretch her legs out on a HPDE event to enjoy the full throws of her.

Speaking of SC is and still considered my home state. Alot of family in the Upstate area..
You've got that right. This car needs to be tracked. Trying to push it hard on the street would be very irresponsible as it has some very high limits. Lol

I'm from SC as is most of my family, but I grew up an Air Force brat so I've lived all over. I'm from Cola-town. I was actually born on Fort Jackson.

EDIT: BTW my first mod for my 1LE just showed up. That being a skip-shift eliminator.

Last edited by JROC; 11-13-2019 at 07:29 PM.