Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

AWE Tuning

Old 10-07-2019, 02:39 PM   #1
jfearh

Drives: 2018 Camaro LS / 2018 Equinox LS
Water spots months after ceramic coating

Hey Guys,

I got Ceramic Pro done on my camaro few months back. After my last wash and drying, i noticed water spots on the car that i did not see before. I tried vinegar but that did not remove them. They are mostly all on the hood. Is chemical guys water spot remover safe on ceramic coating? The detailer who installed it said that they dont warranty water spots.
jfearh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 02:44 PM   #2
oftenimitated

Drives: 2004 Honda Civic+2011 Camaro 2SS
are you washing with hard water?
oftenimitated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 02:46 PM   #3
jfearh

Quote:
Originally Posted by oftenimitated View Post
are you washing with hard water?
Yes from the hose
Old 10-07-2019, 02:54 PM   #4
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Welcome to the problem with some coatings...… Do a search here, it’s been talked about quite a bit.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 04:10 PM   #5
jfearh

is chemical guys product for water spot removal safe on ceramic coating? anyone tried that?
Old 10-07-2019, 06:49 PM   #6
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
Hard water spots are the problem with ceramic coating. You might as well try the CG water spot remover. To get the water spots off you will likely have to polish and re-apply the ceramic.

A bottle of ceramic is cheap though.

Oh, and your detailer's warranty is worthless.
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 07:31 PM   #7
jfearh

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkH View Post
Hard water spots are the problem with ceramic coating. You might as well try the CG water spot remover. To get the water spots off you will likely have to polish and re-apply the ceramic.

A bottle of ceramic is cheap though.

Oh, and your detailer's warranty is worthless.
Hey buddy, if i just use the chemical guys water spot remover, is that abrasive enough to remove the coating? Cuz if so i would prob leave it alone and maybe do a better job at drying. I dont want to polish and reapply coating myself
Old 10-07-2019, 09:08 PM   #8
KirkH

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfearh View Post
Hey buddy, if i just use the chemical guys water spot remover, is that abrasive enough to remove the coating? Cuz if so i would prob leave it alone and maybe do a better job at drying. I dont want to polish and reapply coating myself
Is it Chemical Guys Water Spot RX? I just rubbed it between my fingers and it is not very abrasive. Try lightly wiping the spots with a good microfiber with a dot of Water Spot RX.
Old 10-07-2019, 09:10 PM   #9
KirkH

If this were my customer , I would polish the hood and reapply for free. Takes like 30 minutes.
Old 10-08-2019, 02:19 AM   #10
indyz

Drives: 2SS, CT-R, LC500
Would some kind of topper be a solution to water spots on ceramic. I've been doing a touchless car wash, every week or two, after self applying a ceramic coating on one of my vehicles, and so far, I haven't seen the waterspots that I used to see regularly prior to applying a ceramic coating...... maybe I've been lucky
indyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 07:20 AM   #11
harner

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10
First and foremost, if you ever have questions or issues with your coating, talk to your detailer/installer.

I'm SB3 certified. They make maintenance products like "Destroy" (water spot remover) and Maintain (basically a 3 month spray sealant/ceramic boost). You can buy these from their website, the app, or Amazon. They also make other maintenance products that work very well. As a matter of fact, many other major ceramic companies offer very similar products (such as CarPro).

Water spots are the bane of my existence. A quality coating should not be compromised by a water spot remover. Spray it on, let it dwell, wipe off. The water coming out of the ground is what is causing the water spots. This is why it's important to dry the car off immediately after washing and not washing in direct sunlight.
1994 Trans Am LM7/CPT 4L60E/9"
1987 IROC
2006 Silverado
harner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 07:52 AM   #12
indyz

Drives: 2SS, CT-R, LC500
Yeah I've been doing a touchless car wash on my ceramic coated (self installed) Mazda.
Between the car wash air blast drying and the subsequent 50mph drive back to base, no wonder i don't get any waterspots from washing the car.

The sprinklers and rain every few days can cause some spots though, although I havent encountered them since ceramic coating the car a couple of months ago. Those are the spots I am more concerned with and would like to avoid.
indyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 09:13 AM   #13
jfearh

Quote:
Originally Posted by harner View Post
First and foremost, if you ever have questions or issues with your coating, talk to your detailer/installer.

I'm SB3 certified. They make maintenance products like "Destroy" (water spot remover) and Maintain (basically a 3 month spray sealant/ceramic boost). You can buy these from their website, the app, or Amazon. They also make other maintenance products that work very well. As a matter of fact, many other major ceramic companies offer very similar products (such as CarPro).

Water spots are the bane of my existence. A quality coating should not be compromised by a water spot remover. Spray it on, let it dwell, wipe off. The water coming out of the ground is what is causing the water spots. This is why it's important to dry the car off immediately after washing and not washing in direct sunlight.
The dealer is the one that suggested i use vinegar or this chemical guys product. The vinegar didnt work. I spoke to the actual firm - ceramic pro and they were sure if it was ok to use the chemical guys product but the dealer seems pretty confident that its ok to use that product so i dont know im gonna give it a shot and if it takes any of the coating off, ill be going back to the dealer
Old 10-08-2019, 09:18 AM   #14
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
I get water spots from time to time with just Reload as the sealant. I use Carpro Spotless which does work, but not always. Unfortunately I have had to strip down and polish a few times in between my normally yearly polishing when I had a bunch of spots that I could not get out. I also get bug guts and bird poop etches in Reload as well, even though I clean them up right away, still happens. Frustrating but it is the reality of coatings and sealants.

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote