Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 08-07-2019, 04:50 PM   #1
PowertoLove
Banned

Drives: A Sneaky Fast Camaro
Tire pressure monitor

Anyone know if you can turn it off completely?
PowertoLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 10:52 PM   #2
pnwdan

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
No you cant.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 08-08-2019, 08:18 AM   #3
wasthatacop?

Drives: 2010 2SS
THose tire sensors are annoying. Two of mine had the battery die. My mechanic told me they usually need replacement after 5 years. I didn't want to pay for him to change them while having suspension work done, so I will wait until those particular tires need to be replaced. My 'check tires' light comes on every time I sart the car.
ZL1 factory rims
misc: drilled and slotted rotors, fresh air brake cooling system, new speakers, installed reverse camera, muffler delete
wasthatacop? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 08:20 AM   #4
PowertoLove
Banned

Guess its time to pull the cluster and block off that light.
Old 08-08-2019, 01:25 PM   #5
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasthatacop? View Post
THose tire sensors are annoying. Two of mine had the battery die. My mechanic told me they usually need replacement after 5 years. I didn't want to pay for him to change them while having suspension work done, so I will wait until those particular tires need to be replaced. My 'check tires' light comes on every time I sart the car.
That's odd. I had one that wouldn't read and never saw a 'check tires'. Just displayed dashes when I brought it up on the DIC.
After 2011 all the TPMS are mandated to use 10-year batteries, so you've got that going for you. All 4 of my 2011s are still working, so they must have been anticipating the change.
Old 08-08-2019, 01:59 PM   #6
PowertoLove
Banned

I have 1 sensor that reads low until you drive then it registers correct. So every time you start the car the light flashes.
Old 08-08-2019, 04:14 PM   #7
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
TPMS is designed to save your life. Modern tires don't look flat even at pressures that can result in catastrophic failure due to overheating at highway speeds.

I can't think of any reason to disable TPMS.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 08:15 PM   #8
Talladega

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
Why do you want to disable it?
Talladega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 09:21 AM   #9
TheBracketeer

Drives: 2011 2SS Whipplecharged LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
TPMS is designed to save your life. Modern tires don't look flat even at pressures that can result in catastrophic failure due to overheating at highway speeds.

I can't think of any reason to disable TPMS.
Because if you are running any tires that need lower pressures like drag radials, they are annoying.
TheBracketeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 09:33 AM   #10
pnwdan

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
There is a way around this. You can find a diy online. You build a pvc container and install a valve on it. You place your 4 tpms sensors in it and seal it up. Fill it to 35psi and the set it in your trunk. Done.

Old 08-09-2019, 10:29 AM   #11
LevonH
Chevy Enthusiast.

Drives: 2015 Camaro ZL1 Summit White
Have you tried having them reset at a tire place?

Levon H. Bone Stock
LevonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 10:40 AM   #12
Hogiewan1

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS covertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwdan View Post
There is a way around this. You can find a diy online. You build a pvc container and install a valve on it. You place your 4 tpms sensors in it and seal it up. Fill it to 35psi and the set it in your trunk. Done.

pnwdan, you sir, are a genius. I have been swapping my drag tires/wheels out to get used to driving with them, and the warning light has been driving me nuts. Many thanks!
Hogiewan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 12:34 PM   #13
Deputy347k9

Drives: 2014 Ashen Gray Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasthatacop? View Post
Owning multiple sets of wheels/tires I occasionally have an older OEM sensor reach it's end of service life. I purchased a Autel TS601 TPMS kit that one of it's functions is checking the installed TPMS batteries. I now only use programable Autel Mx-Sensors, a single sensor if programable to either 315 or 433 mhz. If my memory serves me correctly the Autel tool covers about 95+ % of all cars on the road. I have about 15 TPMS sensors on hand just incase local friends end up with a problem. I have purchased NEW Mx-Sensors for as low as $21.00 each, never have I had a problem with one.

Friend just lost a single sensor in his 2014 Shelby, took it to Ford where he paid about $150.00!

I recently had one OEM sensor go out on my original factory 20" wheels, there was no need to remove the tire from the wheel then rebalance. Break the one side down to gain access to the TPMS sensor, remove the bad, install the new and add air! I figured if one went the others probably are not that far behind so I changed all four. With the Autel TS601 I am able to program all 4 TPMS sensors at one time and actually program them for position on the vehicle.

Had one local Marine who thought his information center was going screwy because he would get an occasional warning light. I checked his car with my the TS601 and it showed the battery as OK, checked it a second time and it was faulty. We changed the original sensor and his problem went away.

Not sure if it's true or not but I have heard scuttlebutt that the new TPMS sensors have batteries that can last up to 10 years? I wouldn't think this applies to those made in second or third world countries. I am sure the industry could make a TPMS sensor that we would be able to change batteries like in our watches or hearing aids. Of course the industry and many might lose a dollar or two.
Old 10-17-2019, 03:34 PM   #14
George-CZ

Drives: 2010 2SS LS3 and 1978 STROKER 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroFred View Post
That's odd. I had one that wouldn't read and never saw a 'check tires'. Just displayed dashes when I brought it up on the DIC.
After 2011 all the TPMS are mandated to use 10-year batteries, so you've got that going for you. All 4 of my 2011s are still working, so they must have been anticipating the change.

Exactly...
I have TPMS for over 10 years and still work.
In the summer, I bought new tires, so I bought a new HUF TPMS with a 10-year battery.

5 years ... This is I listen first time
George-CZ is offline   Reply With Quote