Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

Bigwormgraphix

Old 10-08-2019, 10:21 AM   #15
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
This is why I don't recommend ceramic to any of my customers. I will apply it if they insist. I prefer polymer sealants.
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 02:20 PM   #16
jfearh

Drives: 2018 Camaro LS / 2018 Equinox LS
ordered the chemical guy water spot remover , will get it by friday. Also, my detailer said that there is a chance that those water spots could be under the coating, he said if the product doesnt work he will slightly buff it out and slightly recoat it.
jfearh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 02:25 PM   #17
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Slightly?… If this guy put a coating on your car and put it on over water spots, you need to either get your money back and or find a new detailer. That’s just incredibly bad prep, and that’s what you hired him for.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 03:32 PM   #18
jfearh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
Slightly?… If this guy put a coating on your car and put it on over water spots, you need to either get your money back and or find a new detailer. That’s just incredibly bad prep, and that’s what you hired him for.
sorry i meant that he said that it doesn't need to be polished as much and prob min polish will take care of the existing water spots so we will see although i hope this chem guy product i ordered take care of it, it arrives on Friday so finger crossed.
Old 10-11-2019, 05:01 PM   #19
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfearh View Post
sorry i meant that he said that it doesn't need to be polished as much and prob min polish will take care of the existing water spots so we will see although i hope this chem guy product i ordered take care of it, it arrives on Friday so finger crossed.
Curious to know how the CG works out for you. I have used Carpro Water Spot remover with some limited, but not complete, success. The carpro WSR is citric acid based and removes spots a bit... kinda knocks em down to the point where they get hard to see when dry, but doesn’t get them completely off.... you can still see them when you wipe a damp MF across them.

Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 05:39 PM   #20
Gary H

Drives: Camaro ZL1
I'm currently using Gtechniq W9 water spot remover as I've just discovered the spotting after a ceramic coating - but only if I let rain dry on it (not always possible to wash and clean a car after driving in rain!) It's very easy to use, gentle, but effective.
Going forward , I'll be rinsing with the water I collect from my dehumidifier.

Velossa intake, Rotofab, Mamo TB, Custom ported NX Lid & Jokerz Full tilt ported LT4 charger, 3 port CoolingMist Meth injection - ATI 15% lower pulley, E2X CC, TSP ceramic coated longtubes, de-cat and Borla 60608 to NPP box, JRE tune, BMR rear control & trailing arms, lock-out kit, lowering springs and front strut brace, Custom carbon trim interior, Xpel ultimate front PPF and Prestige window tint with Chameleon Windscreen tint...ever evolving...
Gary H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 12:47 AM   #21
indyz

Drives: 2SS, CT-R, LC500
Glad I limited ceramic to one vehicle. Polishing a coating off because of watersports would suck.

Sounds like ceramic coatings are a pain in the arse to maintain ......
indyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 10:43 AM   #22
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by indyz View Post
Glad I limited ceramic to one vehicle. Polishing a coating off because of watersports would suck.

Sounds like ceramic coatings are a pain in the arse to maintain ......
Ceramics are prone to water spots -- their achilles heel. When hard water is left to dry on the car, Calcium/Aluminum/etc. based deposits like to bond, possibly covalently, to the "ceramic" Si-O, Mg-O, etc. terminated groups in the ceramic coating polymer molecule. They can be a SOB to get off chemically, requiring mechanical polishing as mentioned multiple times in thread after thread here.

With a good hydrophobic coating (or well maintained spray-n-wipe topper) on the ceramic, less of these oxide groups are exposed to the elements, and water is easier to remove with blow and towel drying, so they become less prone to spotting.

If I were to do my car all over again (and this is the current plan for the C8 vert): I'd do the whole car in self-healing PPF with Gtechniq EXO durable hydrophobic on the entire car. I'd only use the ceramic (+hydrophobic) on the grille, wheels and any other places that my installer couldn't put film on.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 03:15 AM   #23
indyz

Drives: 2SS, CT-R, LC500
On my Mazda, Ive had good luck so far. No spots but I also do a touchfree wash every week or two. It is left out in the open 24/7 now, let's see if the luck continues.

I use turtle seal & shine and Meguiars hcw (diluted 1:7) on the other two cars.
indyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 11:06 AM   #24
jfearh

Hey Guys,

The chemical guys spot remover did not work, not even a little. I am probably not getting ceramic coating again as i think its not worth washing the car every single time it rains. I mean think about it, we all have families and have a life. My neighbors think i am probably crazy with the amount of car washes and things i do. I am really starting to believe in KISS (keep it stupid simple).

As far as the existing spots are concerned, the detailer did say that he will buff it and coat it again but this time he will coat it with a coating that lasts about 6 months to 12 months as opposed to the one that i paid for (2 years or more if maintained). So i dont know if its worth it at this stage to have him re do the hood and the trunk? If I leaves these spots as is, would they disappear in time as the coating wears off? Please advise.
Old 10-14-2019, 12:05 PM   #25
Glen e

You need to polish off all that crap and start over. The water spots will not go away if they have penetrated the ceramic coating. I have coated several cars and won’t do it again, just because it’s not necessary. I will use it for things that get a lot a high traffic wear like my motorcycle helmets/windshield and my wheels on every car., But not the paint anymore...
I now run my car through a touchless carwash about once every three weeks and spray it down with a ceramic wipe and forget spray. And it still looks like it just came out of the show room.....
Old 10-14-2019, 12:53 PM   #26
jfearh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
You need to polish off all that crap and start over. The water spots will not go away if they have penetrated the ceramic coating. I have coated several cars and won’t do it again, just because it’s not necessary. I will use it for things that get a lot a high traffic wear like my motorcycle helmets/windshield and my wheels on every car., But not the paint anymore...
I now run my car through a touchless carwash about once every three weeks and spray it down with a ceramic wipe and forget spray. And it still looks like it just came out of the show room.....
but eventially they will go away right as the coating is not permanent. The coating i got is a silver package for ceramic pro which is warrantied for 2 years so around that time frame when the coating wears down, the spots should go away as well right? i mean i can maintain the car from here and make sure i dry it properly and take my time but what is the rush for me to polish it now? please advise if i am missing anything. Btw, i can see those spots from an angle only or if i am up close for the most part. From a distance it looks all good.
Old 10-14-2019, 12:57 PM   #27
Glen e

You certainly don’t need to do anything now if you can live with it. That’s common sense… It’s just the wanna gets stored the end of it’s life and you want to start over a polish job is going to do it. And it’s not hard , it just takes some time and a good random orbital with a medium to heavy pad , And something like Maguires 105 followed by 205.
Old 10-14-2019, 01:23 PM   #28
jfearh

Thats my car right there. As you can see that from a distance you cant really tell, its only when i zoom in and look at a certain angle you can see spots, most are on the hood and trunk, rest of the car looks ok. Based off of this, what do you think?