Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-09-2019, 01:30 AM   #1
cheap

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
Whipple install issues

I cannot get my harmonic balancer/crank pulley bolt loose. Even spent maybe an extra hour pulling the radiator fan/shroud to create clearance for my 1/2” impact.

Also how do you get to the LTR bracket bolts? The instructions are so nonchalant... “yeah man, just slap those brackets on using the four supplied bolts, NBD.” Did you have to pull the whole radiator out? This is on a 2017 1LE so I’m not sure if I have more plastic deflectors to force air places that weren’t on the base SS.

Lastly, the Magnusson instructions say to pull the fuel line that crosses the intake manifold. The Whipple instructions don’t mention it at all but it’s not present in the intake manifold removal picture and I don’t think I have a spring lock connector small enough to work on those lines.
cheap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 02:17 AM   #2
shinysun

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
You need to use a heating gun or gas torch on the center bolt.

Last edited by shinysun; 06-09-2019 at 03:28 AM.
shinysun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 04:44 AM   #3
Dysan911

Drives: 2017 50th Anniversary 2SS
Yeah what Shinysun said. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I took a handheld propane torch and heated the bolt up for about a minute and it was the easiest thing to remove with like 1 hand..
Former Ride: 17 Camaro 2SS, M6 - Fifty | Procharger P1SC | 3.7 Pulley | Stage 2 IC | Race Bypass | DSX FF Kit | JRE Custom E85 Flex Fuel Tune | LT4 Fuel System | JMS Voltage Booster | MSD Plug Wires | American Racing 1-7/8's LT Headers Full System Catback | Baro Breakout Harness | LT4 Map Sensor | Katech Ported TB | MMS Oil Catch Can | 160 Thermo | Solo Performance J-Pipes

Dysan911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 12:20 PM   #4
cheap

I got the crank bolt out using my wife's hairdryer.

For the life of me I have no idea how I'm going to get the LTR brackets on the side of the radiator. My 1LE has plastic bits secured to the side with those disposable push clips but the evap lines run through the shroud, so even with the clips off I can't get in there at all. I can't even SEE the lower bolt.
Old 06-09-2019, 05:03 PM   #5
Nmolina9239

Drives: 2018 2SS
I just went through this with my Whipple install. I ended up taking out as much hardware to bend the plastic out. Find somebody with small hands, I got lucky myself having some lol. Lots of patience and beer.
Nmolina9239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 10:25 PM   #6
biker2k

Drives: 2018 2ss 1le
pictures of that would be great im about to do an eforce install
love to be prepared
Old 06-13-2019, 04:45 PM   #7
GT-ER

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Your problem is your 1/2" impact. I use a 3/4" impact with a 3/8" hose and it took a whole second to remove that bolt.
GT-ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 05:00 PM   #8
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
You would be surprised at a what the Kobalt electric impact will do. It came off with that and 20 seconds of heat, impact and 15 seconds of heat impact done all in a minute.

I did upgrade all my line to 3/8. there are new high flow 5/16? fittings too...
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 06:40 PM   #9
RuthleSSchevy

Drives: 2016Camaro+1968Chevelle+1954BelAir
Careful using heat you may damage the crank seal... I use a 36" chain wrench to hold the balancer and a 42" 3/4" drive ratchet to break the bolt loose. Usesome mudflap rubber around the balancer to avoid scoring and aid in friction.
Old 06-13-2019, 11:12 PM   #10
cheap

Install is complete. Notes for future folks reading this: that crank bolt needs heat. I used a few minutes with the wife’s hair dryer. The fittings you have to reuse have to be cut out, they don’t “disconnect” from the lines like the manual implies. The fuel line in the back needs to be straightened out towards the drivers side but not excessively; I have way more fuel line than I needed back there. The evap line that connects to the fuel line will need to be disconnected because the hose they supply from that to the evap solenoid isn’t long enough to reach otherwise. The serpentine belt was barely big enough with the tensioner fully compressed; I had to have my wife hold the breaker bar while I bolted on a smooth idler pulley because I couldn’t get it to slip on otherwise. The LTR brackets are a royal PITA with 1LE plastic aero bits from the radiator area, there’s one bolt I couldn’t get in. I had to cut away a section of plastic air deflector for the LTR supply and return hoses as well.
Old 06-19-2019, 11:09 PM   #11
cheap

Another thing; turned out my tune didn’t install correctly. When you read the factory tune you have to make sure to deselect CCM or their program wants an extra 3 credits (at $50/credit) to upload the CCM part of the file that Whipple doesn’t touch anyways. Got it figured out after my car went into limp mode after the first drive with more than just idle, and the drivability is back at stock refinement now.
Old 06-23-2019, 06:01 AM   #12
Tim M

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Cheap: post some images so in the future others can understand your challenges/solutions...like me!

Thanks.
Old 06-24-2019, 02:25 AM   #13
Chris V

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap View Post
Another thing; turned out my tune didn’t install correctly. When you read the factory tune you have to make sure to deselect CCM or their program wants an extra 3 credits (at $50/credit) to upload the CCM part of the file that Whipple doesn’t touch anyways. Got it figured out after my car went into limp mode after the first drive with more than just idle, and the drivability is back at stock refinement now.
I had the same experiences with the air shrouds around the radiator - cutting and time were the only remedy.

One tip - get a real tuner on the car sooner than later. The canned Whipple tune was terrible for me. Too much throttle at tip in made it feel fast, but really hard to drive in a performance setting. I also melted my OEM cats.

I’d recommend Steven Rankins at 42 Auto Sport. He can remote tune better than a well-known tuner who had my car in the shop and on the dyno.

2017 1SS 1LE - 663 whp/623 wtq
Rotofab/Whipple/Kooks 2"/LT5 TB/LT4 Fueling/E85/MCS Coilovers/Ground Control/GOODAero/Apex Wheels/Race Louvers
Chris V is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fthispos, install, problems, whipple