Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-10-2019, 11:00 AM   #1
Memphis SS

Drives: 2017 SS A8 Hyper Blue/White Stripes
Need input on location of ZL1 Addons Jacking Pads

I looked at all the threads I could find on the forum still didn't find the information, sorry if I have missed it.

I would like some input on the location of the front jack pads. I see two locations in the front where they could be mounted, do you use the ones closest to the front tires or the ones that are more toward the back of the car around the door seam?

I currently have the front one in the cut out right behind the front tire but I was going to use my buddies mobile lift that just slides under the car and you hook the lines up and plug it in, not so much because the pads are too far apart to hit the ZL1 addon pads. That got me to thinking maybe even on a large lift the pads are too far apart using that location... HELP guys!

I know the back pad locations are a no brainer, you only have one cut out on each side to mount.
Old 07-10-2019, 11:31 AM   #2
RoninSS

Drives: 2019 SS1LE Garnet Red../Silver CL30
I used the Front closest to the tire. I could not get the allen key inserted into the block when i tried to use the location close to the door seam. Of course i was doing the install laying on the garage floor.
RoninSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 11:33 AM   #3
grampa_ss

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Me too. Closest to the front tire.
Old 07-10-2019, 11:44 AM   #4
DIYguy

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
Me three.
Closest to the front tires.

I have heard the ones a bit farther back mentioned for lifting one entire side of the car using a single jack, or for safety jack stand placements.
Old 07-10-2019, 01:19 PM   #5
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
I used the front most spot as well. On a 1LE (not sure if chassis is stiffer or not over others) jacking from the front most point will lift the entire side and i have done this to place jack stands at the rear.
Old 07-10-2019, 02:19 PM   #6
Memphis SS

Thanks for the feedback guys

I've seen drawings showing the jack points, is that in a service manual?
Old 07-10-2019, 02:48 PM   #7
DougCBJ

Drives: 2016 Blue 2SS
I used the opening farthest from the tire as the the spot where I put the jack pad as that is where i planned to jack the car up at; however the opening closest to the tire is where I wanted the jack stand to sit on the pinch weld. however after I put on the rear I think that strategy may not work because there is only one opening on the rear so i would have a the fronts sitting on the pinch weld and the rears sitting on the ZL1 pads, which could be a safety hazard....realistically you almost need 6 jack pads instead of 4 if you want all four tires off the floor with a regular jack and floor stands if you want the floor stands to sit on the jack pads. If you want the floor stands to sit on the pinch weld, you really only need 2 of the jack pads.
DougCBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 06:23 PM   #8
Memphis SS

Does anyone know what the dealer preferred jacking location is in the front and does the jack arms reach the front and back with out issue on a lift?(if you use the location right behind front wheel)
Old 07-11-2019, 05:42 AM   #9
madscotsman

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Front most slot. Middle slot is for lifting the entire side of the car, front most slot is for just lifting the front on each side. I jack the entire side up using the middle slot with a jack puck from ZL1 addons. Then use jack stands on each the pads on that side.
madscotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 05:55 AM   #10
ac-427

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS Redline Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis SS View Post
I looked at all the threads I could find on the forum still didn't find the information, sorry if I have missed it.

I would like some input on the location of the front jack pads. I see two locations in the front where they could be mounted, do you use the ones closest to the front tires or the ones that are more toward the back of the car around the door seam?

I currently have the front one in the cut out right behind the front tire but I was going to use my buddies mobile lift that just slides under the car and you hook the lines up and plug it in, not so much because the pads are too far apart to hit the ZL1 addon pads. That got me to thinking maybe even on a large lift the pads are too far apart using that location... HELP guys!

I know the back pad locations are a no brainer, you only have one cut out on each side to mount.
I published this previously. I hope it is helpful.

I don't like lifting my car. In fact, I have nightmares about it lying flat on the garage floor with the wheels off and no way for me to raise it. Soooo.....I'm sharing the most conservative approach I could come up with short of buying ramps that slide too easily or a drive on lift that's too expensive for my budget.

1. Equipment: (4) Torin 6000 lb aluminum jack stands purchased at Pep Boys, (2) 4000 lb jacks, and ZL-1 Addons Permanent Lift Pads for Gen 6 convertibles.

2. Equipment Locations: I started with the front and used the Cross Brace attachment bolts shown in the photographs as the points to locate the floor jack saddles. For the front, I used the outer bolt (circled in red) and for the rear I used the inner bolt (circled in yellow). The Torin jack stands have a saddle that fits the ZL-1 Lift Pads perfectly and the base on them is small enough that interference between the floor jack and stand is eliminated. In my method, a wider based jack stand would not have worked due to interference problems.

3. Jacking Procedure: Since I wanted to avoid twisting the body, I centered the jacks on the cross brace bolt (circled in red) in the front and gradually raised the car by going from side to side in small increments until I got to the height I wanted. After making sure the front was secure, I used the inner cross brace bolt (circled in yellow) to raise the rear using the same side to side method.

Conclusion, I was getting the car ready for the Dallas Autorama so thoroughly cleaning wheels, wheel wells and the bottom of the car was a necessity. Using my method, I heard no creaks in the body, or other evidence of twisting or misalignment. Also, the stands are extremely secure, take up the smallest amount of room possible, and don't scratch the floor. Yep, my method ain't cheap but it costs a lot less than the damage accruing from my beloved Camaro falling off a jack.
Attached Images

ac-427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 08:05 AM   #11
DIYguy

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
Smile

For the OP-

Here is a thread that has a nice graphic showing the jack points-
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=553890
I don't know where the graphic came from though.
My FSM doesn't show it, oddly.

And here is a thread that shows what I did (permanent pads), FWIW-
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...=471737&page=2
I will be adding an additional pair in the middle lift positions soon, I just haven't gotten around to it yet.
I really like having the permanent pads because they are always there whenever I need them.

Almost any commercial car lift should be able to span between the front-most and rear-most lift points on these cars.

I agree with ac-427 about using a pair of jacks.
I almost always lift a side using a jack each on the front and back pads, or lift the front or rear using both front or rear pads.
It isn't that the car should flex that much, I just feel it is more gentle to the frame.
Plus of course, always use jack stands for safety...!
Old 07-11-2019, 08:24 AM   #12
mrgoodbytes

Drives: '18 2SS/EU (+Recaros) M6 Red Hot
I just installed mine two days ago. And I was also curious about the correct location, but I also ended up installing them slots closest to the front wheels.
mrgoodbytes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 04:29 PM   #13
winter568

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
ZL1 Jack pads

I placed mine on the back slot so I could use my QuickJacks. I had to take the panels off the bottom of each side to get to the set screw. The QuickJacks lift my 2018 SS 1LE with no problems and once looked in place the car is rock solid.
Attached Images

winter568 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 07:04 PM   #14
Frisbey

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 Nightfall Grey
I just added mine 2 weeks ago,

Here's a pic of the front and rear locations

I'd recommend a little loc-tite on the threads to keep them tight
Attached Images

2000 - 02/06/18 | 4300 - 02/20/18 Built
3000 - 02/07/18 | 5000 - 03/08/18 At Dealer
3100 - 02/09/18 | Delivered