Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-25-2019, 01:50 PM   #15
cooper1965
Coopers Camaro

Drives: 18 Flex Fuel LTG
Don't get caught up in the chatter Wook. Your graph is right, and almost matches your dyno identically. I only suggesting adding a variable to your HP math to bring that number closer. 295x.09(-30) = 265 Much closer to your dyno.

---My Build Thread---
-----My IG PAGe-----
cooper1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 08:21 PM   #16
wookwook

Drives: 18 Camaro LS M6
Lightbulb

ok then. We have a couple of ideas and conversations going on, I just wanted to try and accomplish allot, sometimes a thing takes on a new path, as usual.

I am gonna give this ONE more try then let it rest. In the final analysis all I am trying to accomplish is the Knock Retard. I am pretty happy with the power numbers, yes and along this narrative I will try to be as clear as possible. Not with attitude or anything like that, just emphasis on what I am trying.

I did a RC chip and a Borla Midpipe and then went to the dyno guy. I got this chart that started the Thread. So far so good. The numbers surprisingly matched up well with RCs "as advertised" numbers, even though I threw it a curve with the midpipe. I was surprised. I knew the spool was slower. Its just an expected result and that's what I experienced. Fine no problem there.

Next I installed the JacFab Valve and NGK 6510's. By now I was interested in actually getting my own charts as a reference, at the very least I could calibrate the delta, and save on interim visits to the dyno guy. Great!

By the time I figured out how to get a good capture on a section of road I can always go back to I had, my 4 mods as described, and I figured out how to get these graphs.

First thing I wanted to know was - WELL? What is the difference Actually? How much should I adjust to get a 'feel' for what I would get at the dyno guy.... As do all of us I am assuming.

Well, I put the information here. There is no smoke and mirrors, nor corrective factors or cheats or any silliness. As a side note I have an advanced education in math and statistic analytics. Believe me. I know how to make numbers tell the story I want if I wanted to. But none of that here. Just the facts Ma'am.

FIRST - the HEAD TO HEAD Dyno Vs HP with on-board sensors (generic pid) if I recall.

THERE IS A CAVEAT HERE - I ADDED the JAC VALVE AND NKG 6510 SINCE THE ORIGINAL CHART, SO I EXPECTED A SLIGHT POSITIVE GAIN. There is a slightly positive gain in the HP SCANNER Graph. YUP another curve ball.....

SO THIS- Represents the Head to Head Dyno vs Internal Sensor Power Chart. *with a known new variable, the jacfab and the nkg 6510 @ .0275 plugs. Which were put in, after the original chart.

The results are here: THere is a reasonably Strong equal correlation bewteen Dyno and Sensors IHMO.

Name:  table of hpPNG.PNG
Views: 403
Size:  20.8 KB

I have the static pic AND a moving picture - ONE THING TO NOTE- is the Knock Retard. I also got enough PING at the dyno test, that the tech pointed it out.

HERE IS the Static Image of the comparison test run.

Name:  comp dyno HPs.jpg
Views: 483
Size:  101.7 KB

HERE IS the above image in playback mode. IT has the KR and the boost and the other good metrics in motion.

https://youtu.be/w4IBClB62rs

GREAT! That is the first point.

THE SECOND POINT Is taking my new TOOL and getting a reasonably reliable Graph with the Newly Added ZZP Downpipe. Same thing, no tricks no smoke and mirrors or partial or cropped readings.

Here is my Current Chart that shows my area of most interest seems to be a reduction in KR! Its a positive direction.

Also what seems to be implied is the stock turbo is pumping its little heart out and its fully maxed in its function. I am not exactly sure why I think that, but I do. ANyways here is the current setup as it sits in my driveway.

RC RS 5/6, NKG 6510 @.0275, Borla resonator, ZZP Catted DP, JacFab.

295HP/315tq, +33/+4 zzp catted DP effect combined with the other mods.

Static pic-

Name:  zzp DP.jpg
Views: 423
Size:  95.8 KB

Video - https://youtu.be/qrgWg2DIqPY

KR fixes ideas, meth injection / cutout exhaust / reduce the tune (:

Happy motoring!
WW.

Last edited by wookwook; 06-25-2019 at 08:35 PM.
wookwook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 08:59 AM   #17
zts1986
Account Suspended

Drives: 2019 Chevrolet Camaro 1LT 2.0T
Wook, holy shit. Thank you for taking the time to do all of this. I am absolutely loving it.

Looks like the ZZP Catted DP was a worthwhile adventure. What is your take on the "feel" of the car with the DP added? How do the changes in the low-end, midrange, and high-end feel to you..."seat of the pants" type thing?
zts1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 11:02 AM   #18
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
Excellent post! Thanks for sharing!
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 03:20 PM   #19
wookwook

Hah lol. Thanks I wasn't expecting that! I am glad u guys found it informative. I think next time I can get another test I will put the RS on 4. And see the result. I am just trying to figure it all out.
Old 06-26-2019, 03:24 PM   #20
wookwook

Oh yeah, your question. Zzp chatted DP is the shit. Totally woke the car up. Almost like the same jump to tune vs stock.Perfect "in the pocket" type of drivability. You will really appreciate with the xlr. And then ur tune of choice will work fine and multiply the benefit of the breathing room.
Old 06-27-2019, 08:14 AM   #21
zts1986
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by wookwook View Post
Oh yeah, your question. Zzp chatted DP is the shit. Totally woke the car up. Almost like the same jump to tune vs stock.Perfect "in the pocket" type of drivability. You will really appreciate with the xlr. And then ur tune of choice will work fine and multiply the benefit of the breathing room.
No discernible loss in the low-end rpm ranges? That's awesome to hear. I'll be ordering one today.
Old 06-27-2019, 08:45 AM   #22
wookwook

Good. Also I just wanted to make a mention that we have the benefit of the guys who paved the way before so really it's kudos to those who found and published all their info. I just took the opportunity to dig in a little deeper and hopefully supported all the work others have done here. They have spent countless hours testing and tuning and reporting. So it's a crowd effort. Sometimes stuff didn't turn up as expected and others where surprises that worked well. We are all into getting our car to the personal settings, by trial and error. But that is what makes this so fun! The thanks to all.
Old 06-27-2019, 08:59 AM   #23
zts1986
Account Suspended

Quote:
Good. Also I just wanted to make a mention that we have the benefit of the guys who paved the way before so really it's kudos to those who found and published all their info. I just took the opportunity to dig in a little deeper and hopefully supported all the work others have done here. They have spent countless hours testing and tuning and reporting. So it's a crowd effort. Sometimes stuff didn't turn up as expected and others where surprises that worked well. We are all into getting our car to the personal settings, by trial and error. But that is what makes this so fun! The thanks to all.
Of course it's a crowd effort. This place has been great. But what I was really interested in is how your catted DP worked in conjunction with the RC. You've confirmed it for me, and I appreciate that. Just placed my order

Once I get my RC back and confirm that it works, I'll get on a dyno and post my information.

These cars are so incredible for the modifications that can be done to personalize it.
Old 06-29-2019, 07:41 AM   #24
wookwook

Updated table of power results.

Name:  zzpcatteddp.PNG
Views: 351
Size:  40.5 KB
Old 06-29-2019, 07:53 AM   #25
zts1986
Account Suspended

Awesome stuff, Wook. Can’t wait for my downpipe to be in. At that point we will have very similar setups and I’ll find a dyno to run as well. 295 hp and 315 tq at the wheel is nothing to take lightly! While the addition of the DP only rose tour max tq by 4 ft-lb, the jump at 2000-2500 rpm really sticks out to me. I’m pumped.
Old 06-30-2019, 08:13 AM   #26
wookwook

yeah. so wrapping my brain around the torque and hp. So torque is measured and HP is calculated using RPM with a variable factor of 5252. That is how they are linked. The how one reads the chart is "how much work is it taking (HP) to make the force applied (TQ) to the contact patch on the tire", using 1-1 which 4th gear on M6 is 1-1 with the obvious inherent errors, like factory calibration for tire size, air pressure diameter, slippage, etc. but its close enough for our purposes. You can get much higher TQ readings using more leverage with lower gears, but usually in reporting stuff, its assumed your talking 1-1.

Also you may not get the right result if you are trying this on a level surface. You have to use a good incline so all the work of the engine is required and can be measured. That's why on my dyno run, I could smell some rubber burning off the rollers. I found a spot that is about 3000 ft of steady incline with an on ramp so I can start from a slow speed in 4th, and get the full pull to about 5k before it gets dicey.
Old 06-30-2019, 11:09 AM   #27
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
Quote:
yeah. so wrapping my brain around the torque and hp. So torque is measured and HP is calculated using RPM with a variable factor of 5252. That is how they are linked. The how one reads the chart is "how much work is it taking (HP) to make the force applied (TQ) to the contact patch on the tire", using 1-1 which 4th gear on M6 is 1-1 with the obvious inherent errors, like factory calibration for tire size, air pressure diameter, slippage, etc. but its close enough for our purposes. You can get much higher TQ readings using more leverage with lower gears, but usually in reporting stuff, its assumed your talking 1-1.

Also you may not get the right result if you are trying this on a level surface. You have to use a good incline so all the work of the engine is required and can be measured. That's why on my dyno run, I could smell some rubber burning off the rollers. I found a spot that is about 3000 ft of steady incline with an on ramp so I can start from a slow speed in 4th, and get the full pull to about 5k before it gets dicey.
That's some good explanation right there. I'll add if your auto 1:1 is 6th gear but the way the auto is geared your closer to actual pavement to tire in 5th gear.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 08:19 AM   #28
zts1986
Account Suspended

Ordered last Thursday and still no confirmation of shipping