Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

Phastek Performance

Old 05-16-2017, 09:24 AM   #29
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSport16 View Post
CS never streaked for me, the key is only a couple of light sprays/spritzes on each panel, little is more in this case. Make sure you go over each panel with that applicator until it disappears, a few times. Then go back with a very soft thick MF towel to level out the high spots. Streaking usually means you used too much.
Correct....I usually discuss this on phone calls I get, as many guys, esp older guys, are used to putting on wax and have to see it go on. The poly sealants are different, they literally flash off as you put them on, and since you can't see it, you put on more! And then you get streaking/hi spots. Hence why I wrote the "up down side to side" doc because you feel you're not putting on anything, and you add more.....Yet the original amt was fine. 1 spritz per 2 x 2' section is more than enuf. And 1/2 way thru the car, you applicator is holding a lot. You can see the small amt needed in this reload you tube:

https://youtu.be/PsAheg8Wtdk

I had one guy call me and say he was all streaked up and hated the stuff. When I asked him how much he used, he said "half a Bottle"....

When I told him there were more than 10 cars worth in the smallest bottle, there were crickets on the other end of the line......he Dawn washed, re-tried and called back estatic with the results.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 01:32 PM   #30
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
Correct....I usually discuss this on phone calls I get, as many guys, esp older guys, are used to putting on wax and have to see it go on. The poly sealants are different, they literally flash off as you put them on, and since you can't see it, you put on more! And then you get streaking/hi spots. Hence why I wrote the "up down side to side" doc because you feel you're not putting on anything, and you add more.....Yet the original amt was fine. 1 spritz per 2 x 2' section is more than enuf. And 1/2 way thru the car, you applicator is holding a lot. You can see the small amt needed in this reload you tube:

https://youtu.be/PsAheg8Wtdk

I had one guy call me and say he was all streaked up and hated the stuff. When I asked him how much he used, he said "half a Bottle"....

When I told him there were more than 10 cars worth in the smallest bottle, there were crickets on the other end of the line......he Dawn washed, re-tried and called back estatic with the results.
lol...damn, half a bottle! Yeah it is very different from old wax products for sure. Reload spreads very easily, which to me it is easier than a polymer product like CS, maybe just my OCD, but I don't feel like I have to go over it as much and it flash dries a little quicker...but either one you are going to hate if not applied correctly.

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 03:35 PM   #31
jreagle56

Drives: 2022 2SS A10 NPP MRC Red Hot
After applying Crystal Seal; what are you guys doing to remove the pollen that accumulates on the car this time of year? the stuff looks sticky and abrasive to me. 2 bucket wash? rinseless wash? or something else? after 2 or 3 days the car has a yellow green glow.
jreagle56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 03:46 PM   #32
LesBaer
FMPG

Drives: 2016 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jreagle56 View Post
After applying Crystal Seal; what are you guys doing to remove the pollen that accumulates on the car this time of year? the stuff looks sticky and abrasive to me. 2 bucket wash? rinseless wash? or something else? after 2 or 3 days the car has a yellow green glow.
After Crystal Seal, pollen just slides off with a good microfiber.

Once I do the Blackfire process, I just wash my car with a foam gun and use a mit to wipes the suds all over the car. The wash I use has wax built into it and I like it a lot but Glen is the expert.

Here's the stuff I use:

http://www.autogeek.net/bodsham1gal.html
ARH 1 7/8" ceramic coated full sys w/NPP; Maggie 9.2psi (85mm); Jannetty rough idle cam(TSP), tune and LT4 fuel system; Forgeline VX1 Black PVD (20x10,11); R88R 315's; ALPriority; BMR rear arms, bushings, DS loop; RF intake (red); nGauge

93 octane: 712rwhp, 654rwtq / E85 (E66 mix): 734rwhp, 674rwtq (SuperFlow Dyno)
LesBaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 04:03 PM   #33
SSport16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jreagle56 View Post
Pollen has been gone for a few weeks now here in NC, but if it isn't too bad, I use a thick soft MF towel to wipe off, otherwise weekly rinseless washes do the trick...unfortunately no magic product for pollen.

Old 05-16-2017, 04:16 PM   #34
Glen e

Pollen is a PIA, some report CS tends to attract It, I've never found that to be the case, BUT you might want to try the silicon products in my original post here. But to clean it off, you got a couple choices, before you try, drive an interstate to blow as much off as possible:
1. heavy - a hose wash
2 med heavy - Rinseless
3. Light - a calif duster or microfiber
Old 05-16-2017, 04:43 PM   #35
Burly

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Tree pollen is the worst, just ended here. Now we have grass pollen for a month or so but is lighter and smaller. I've found tree pollen should be rinsed off, no wiping or you'll get scratches even with a duster.
Burly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 06:19 PM   #36
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
Here's a great write up by a professional detailer on pollen removal.

http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-P...ve-your-paint/

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 10:45 PM   #37
DougCBJ

Drives: 2016 Blue 2SS
I believe crystal seal attracts pollen. I finished detailing sunday. Drove to work monday. when i left work my car was a yellow tint basically. That is something I have noticed since using this stuff last year is pollen just loves to hug the car. Now maybe it would even without the sealant, I don't know, but with it, it's there in massive numbers. Right now my car looks like I didn't even detail it two days ago it's so dirty from pollen and dust and my car is garage kept!
DougCBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 10:50 PM   #38
Glen e

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougCBJ View Post
I believe crystal seal attracts pollen. I finished detailing sunday. Drove to work monday. when i left work my car was a yellow tint basically. That is something I have noticed since using this stuff last year is pollen just loves to hug the car. Now maybe it would even without the sealant, I don't know, but with it, it's there in massive numbers. Right now my car looks like I didn't even detail it two days ago it's so dirty from pollen and dust and my car is garage kept!

So Dawn the car and try reload, goes on the same way as CS.....
Old 05-17-2017, 12:42 AM   #39
Black_FiFTY
Custom Black FiFTY

Drives: 2017 Black SS
Yeah I did the process myself about a month ago and literally the next day my car was yellow and the pollen was stuck. I also had water resting on the hood, roof and trunk area from overnight buildup. It was not moving. Is the blackfire crystal seal supposed to be water replant or is that just ceramic coatings? I just wasn't sure if it was working. It looked and felt amazing after applying it.
Old 05-17-2017, 08:25 AM   #40
jreagle56

Drives: 2022 2SS A10 NPP MRC Red Hot
Thanks for your replies guys. I cant say that the CS is actually attracting pollen. Here the tree pollen is in full bloom and grass is starting up. This will end around the 1st week in July; diminishing thru June. The pine tree pollen looks like mini gravel. Weighing the options; I am thinking that a mild soap and water wash will be less disruptive to the paint than anything else. Some blows off on the highway the rest is stuck to the paint; seems the same now with CS compared to prior to CS application; was using Meguires Ultimate products before.
jreagle56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 08:42 AM   #41
Burly

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe M 2012 2SS View Post
Here's a great write up by a professional detailer on pollen removal.

http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-P...ve-your-paint/
I agree with article, you have to soap/wash to safely remove the pollen. And use a sealant safe soap like Chemical Guys Honeydew Snow Foam Cleanser, which is what I use.
Burly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 09:07 AM   #42
SSport16

I do know that CS attracts brake dust, the first week or so after you put it on wheels. I did the barrels a few times with CS, didn't like it. I now have Hydro2 on the wheels with a coat of Reload on the barrels, brake dust does not stick and is just a simple wipe with a dry MF towel.