Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 10-08-2016, 02:10 PM   #1
Alex-A

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2LT 50th Anniversary
Extended Warranty

Hello all,

I am waiting for my Camaro to arrive from a factory order, and I have a couple questions regarding extended warranties. Do I have to buy extended warranty from the dealership I bought my car, or can I shop around after I bought it? Also, what are some prices people have bought their warranties for?
Alex-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 03:21 PM   #2
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
It looks like you are from Canada. In the US you can buy the GM extended warranty from any US dealer. I assume that Canadian buyers could buy from any Canadian dealer but you might want to check. The downside of buying from a different dealer is that you probably won't be able to roll it into the car loan. If you search you will find several threads where people have discussed US prices but I don't know if there are any members that have posted Canadian prices.
Mark114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 01:58 PM   #3
mariojmoe
Account Suspended

Drives: C7 Z06 manual, 18 Zl1 manual, etc
lol, mine was cancelled probably with a week of ownership. longtube headers for starters. Looking at a big cam and blower before end of the month. What the hell is a warranty?
mariojmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 12:01 AM   #4
MSMYYC
@maplefed

Drives: 16' MBM 2SS,
I bought my camaro from an Alberta dealership after being approved for the loan and they added it on. However I had healthy down payment and a shorter term, they add the cost on your total vehicle price. I dealer will pressure you on the extended warranty as financing managers get commission on that and the 3m etc. they will tell you that it is best priced initially when you purchase the vehicle, and they are correct. If you add it after it will be more. You have 60 days to cancel the extended the warranty and receive a full refund for the extended warranty as that is what I did as the car is sitting at Vortech if you wait until after 60 days your refund will be prorated. The refund will be sent to the lien holder if under one. If not GM will address the check to you. The warranty prices vary on the mileage you select and terms, deductible and tenure. I can provide more info if you'd like in PM if you have any questions! Hope I helped!
MSMYYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 12:05 AM   #5
samsumon

Drives: 4 wheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex-A View Post
Hello all,

I am waiting for my Camaro to arrive from a factory order, and I have a couple questions regarding extended warranties. Do I have to buy extended warranty from the dealership I bought my car, or can I shop around after I bought it? Also, what are some prices people have bought their warranties for?
You can shop around for it. I faced couple of issues with my car and literally forced GM to give me an extended 2 year bumper to bumper on the car. So, if you start experiences issues with the car, look into getting some coverage from them.
samsumon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 04:11 PM   #6
Marine Corps

Drives: 2016 2SS Garnet Red Camaro
There are several private companies who sell extended warranties. Even Chevrolet dealerships in different areas compete. Do your research and save.
Added Procharger supercharger.
Marine Corps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 04:23 PM   #7
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
I cancelled mine about a week in as well. If i wasn't intending on voiding many of the warranties that would actually matter by the end of the normal factory warranty, then I'd have just leased the vehicle.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 12:05 PM   #8
Steve2150

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, Red Hot
Here in Florida they don't allow you to by out of state extended warranties. Got my Major Guard Ally from my dealer for 84 months/84k miles, went with the $100 deductible, was gonna go for the $0 deductible but figured this is more cost effective.
Steve2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 02:52 PM   #9
DisturbedSS

Drives: 16 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex-A View Post
Hello all,

Im the King of eliminating warranties. My advice? Forgo the extra few thousand dollars and dont do it - period. Its nothing but a money maker for dealerships hence why they ask you 25 different ways in finance to buy it as you say no 25 times. You still have the basic factory warranty that covers serious issues. They will play on your fears and make it sound that it doesnt really cover anything - normally the "scary" car electronics repair spiel. You are paying for minor repairs upfront that arent covered by the serious issue factory warranty - waste. These finance guys have quotas - I know for a fact that compensation is tied to these #s

Warranties are 3rd party animals and you can buy them later on your own from these same 3rd party vendors. There is a date and mileage limitation, so check that out prior. Hard to believe but some of them even cover 3rd party S/Cs if installed by an ASE certified tech.

Just the fact youre in this forum has already upped your chances exponentially that you will mod the Camaro and start eliminating warrantied parts of the car anyways!!

Last edited by DisturbedSS; 11-15-2016 at 04:20 PM.
DisturbedSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 05:27 AM   #10
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisturbedSS View Post
Im the King of eliminating warranties.
I used to feel pretty strongly about this.
My main concern is electronics modules that need to be added with a tech2. Eventually these will be available on the recycled market, but you can't just remove and replace unless you have your own tech2. And the second hand modules still command a high price on eBay (although maybe half of what you would pay for new). Yes, you will likely get a refurb when a module is replaced under factory warranty, but at least the warranty still covers the refurb. IMHO, it only takes the cost of 1 or 2 modules to cover the cost of a factory extended warranty.
I've had head units and amps fail within and outside the warranty period and the cost of replacing these is ridiculous. Also, when you talk about things like tuneable suspension (e.g. MRC) I suspect the system needs a recalibration if the car is in an accident. The body shop often can fix the car but not calibrate all the electronics.
So I do not see the extended warranty as an outright waste of $$ anymore, but I am still biased against them. I did get it for my son's car because he goes to school 1200 miles away from his Mr. Fix-it dad.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote