Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-07-2016, 01:45 AM   #15
El_camaronSS

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 1SS Camaro
You ain't seen nothing yet, my previous two evo Xs where way worse than this, this isn't nothing for me lol
Sold-
2015 Evo X
2009 BMW 135i
2011 Evo X
2004 350z
El_camaronSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 06:51 AM   #16
Com69
Banned

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS 6M Nightfall Gray
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
There are several products that will allow the dust to come off easily, youll still have to wash, but the brake dust will not embed in the paint. Armourall brake repellent is a polymer that works, better is a slica spray like hydro2, best is a true silica coating like Cquartz or 22PLE. All need to adhere to a completely clean wheel, using something like Sonax wheel cleaner the first time.

There is nothing you can do to STOP the dust but replace the pads.
I followed the instructions in your signature for my wheels, actually did the whole car with the Hydro2. Finally got it done this past Saturday and NOTHING sticks to my car now. My bright silver wheels used to be just caked with brake dust after every drive, now, there is maybe a slight coating. Wouldn't even notice if you weren't looking for it. And the best part.....just a quick rinse with a hose and it's gone.

Brake dust and pollen have been driving me crazy, but after the Hydro2 my entire car is sooo easy to keep clean. Just a heads up....Hydro2 is NOT body shop safe. I emailed Carpro before even opening the bottle and their advice was simple, go far, far, far away from the shop before applying. Silicone, very bad for adhesion of pretty much everything we do at the shop.

We went to a bay type car wash that had a power washer, dryer, foam gun, etc. Spent half an hour just cleaning the bay before even pulling the car in, but the end result is totally worth it.

Thanks for taking the time to write up your articles, they are much appreciated.
Com69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 07:27 AM   #17
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Nice to see someone using it on paint. I have a friend that uses it on his entire car, and gets great results. I use other stuff on my paint and because it can splatter, i was hesitant to write it up here, ive already had enuf people over the years tell me something did not work because they applied something differently from what i wrote up. Then the post comes "this stuff sucks" LOL, tired of that.....
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 08:12 AM   #18
MovieGuy

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
Does just waxing your wheels work? So far I have not had an issue with this. I wash them once a week and I really don't see that much collection. And I wonder if it is because I have used Optimum No Rinse Wax and Shine on them.

Life after retirement
MovieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 08:16 AM   #19
Glen e

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieGuy View Post
Does just waxing your wheels work? So far I have not had an issue with this. I wash them once a week and I really don't see that much collection. And I wonder if it is because I have used Optimum No Rinse Wax and Shine on them.
It does , but there are easier ways to do it, also a spray silica gets to places wax cant, like the base of the lugs, which hold brake dust. Also the crannies and nooks of the brake caliper. To wax a wheel takes 20 min, a silica spray takes 15 seconds....
Old 06-07-2016, 08:28 AM   #20
MovieGuy

Quote:
It does , but there are easier ways to do it, also a spray silica gets to places wax cant, like the base of the lugs, which hold brake dust. Also the crannies and nooks of the brake caliper. To wax a wheel takes 20 min, a silica spray takes 15 seconds....
Optimum sprays on. It is a rinseless wash with carnuba concentrate added. And I wipe inside the lugnut holes with a cotton swab.

Life after retirement
Old 06-07-2016, 08:32 AM   #21
Glen e

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieGuy View Post
Optimum sprays on. It is a rinseless wash with carnuba concentrate added. And I wipe inside the lugnut holes with a cotton swab.
I know that, used it for years.....that is a cleaner, not a protectant/coating we are discussing. A wax/sealant/coating allows the ONR to remove the dust easily and leave some carnuba to protect. But caruba washes off easily in weeks. All we are talking about here is products that keep the dust from attaching to the paint. Then you can clean easily. But if you like using q tips, keep doing what works for you.
Old 06-07-2016, 08:39 AM   #22
MovieGuy

Quote:
I know that, used it for years.....that is a cleaner, not a protectant/coating we are discussing. A wax/sealant/coating allows the ONR to remove the dust easily and leave some carnuba to protect. But caruba washes off easily in weeks. All we are talking about here is products that keep the dust from attaching to the paint. Then you can clean easily. But if you like using q tips, keep doing what works for you.
The wax and shine does leave carnuba. I spray it on with a spray bottle I bought at the department store. I wipe it off with micro fibre, and I clean the excess out of the lug nut holes with cotton swabs so it doesn't come dripping out and leaving streaks on my wheels. I use it every third wash on my car. Which would be once every 3 weeks. It sprays on and wipes off. Anyway this answers my question as to why this has never been an issue for me. I have been avoiding it without realizing it.

Life after retirement
Old 06-07-2016, 08:41 AM   #23
stars_fan
Nerd

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
Check out the wash section and you will see a ton of threads on brake dust.
Old 06-07-2016, 08:52 AM   #24
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
I hate the freaking brake dust! I've ranted about it a few times already on this forum. Yes I know...high performance brake usually equals brake dust...I get it. I accept it. Doesn't mean I have to like it.

One 20 mile drive, and there's already a light layer of dust on the wheels. Drive the car to work two days in a row without cleaning the wheels, and already they are starting to blacken and some spots get build up. I can't imagine how horrible they'd look if I drove a week's worth of trips and did not clean them.

Quote:
There are several products that will allow the dust to come off easily, youll still have to wash, but the brake dust will not embed in the paint. Armourall brake repellent is a polymer that works, better is a slica spray like hydro2, best is a true silica coating like Cquartz or 22PLE. All need to adhere to a completely clean wheel, using something like Sonax wheel cleaner the first time.

There is nothing you can do to STOP the dust but replace the pads.
I knew you'd step up and post here. This guy knows his stuff. Listen to him.

That said, I'm still leaning towards just replacing the brake pads and making my life easier. Time is money, and I have very little time, which sucks when you love cleaning your car like I do. I emailed a brake pad company you recommended in another thread a while back, but they never got back to me. I may need to try again.

Quote:
Get the wheel clean and get a good mini sprayer bottle from CVS that spreads wide, try and hit every spoke with the hydro....then hammer it with the hose hard. Im getting 3 months easy. Mske sure you dilute it correctly. Dust wipes right off, even with Rinse less.
I'm going to guess the brake dust on the LT models is not as bad? Although, they are brembos right, so maybe they are just as bad. But I do know on my 5th gen V6, the brake dust wasn't even close to as bad as the 5th gen SS, and now my 6th gen SS.
Old 06-07-2016, 08:54 AM   #25
Glen e

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post

I'm going to guess the brake dust on the LT models is not as bad? Although, they are brembos right, so maybe they are just as bad. But I do know on my 5th gen V6, the brake dust wasn't even close to as bad as the 5th gen SS, and now my 6th gen SS.
Absolutely correct, its the SS brakes that are bad, the std LT brakes emit very little dust. Exactly the same as the base/Z51 brakes on the Vette.

Its just important you either keep after them, like the ONR post above, or protect them. Brake dust is corrosive and can ruin a wheel within a year. I always remember seeing bmws come in for service where the person treated the car like an appliance, and never did more than run the car thru the wash. Brake dust had eaten thru the paint and attached itself to the metal, wheel was now permanently black. Like mike phillips at autogeek says " find something you like and use it often"

Amen.
Old 06-07-2016, 09:25 AM   #26
samsumon

Drives: 4 wheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Com69 View Post
I followed the instructions in your signature for my wheels, actually did the whole car with the Hydro2. Finally got it done this past Saturday and NOTHING sticks to my car now. My bright silver wheels used to be just caked with brake dust after every drive, now, there is maybe a slight coating. Wouldn't even notice if you weren't looking for it. And the best part.....just a quick rinse with a hose and it's gone.

Brake dust and pollen have been driving me crazy, but after the Hydro2 my entire car is sooo easy to keep clean. Just a heads up....Hydro2 is NOT body shop safe. I emailed Carpro before even opening the bottle and their advice was simple, go far, far, far away from the shop before applying. Silicone, very bad for adhesion of pretty much everything we do at the shop.

We went to a bay type car wash that had a power washer, dryer, foam gun, etc. Spent half an hour just cleaning the bay before even pulling the car in, but the end result is totally worth it.

Thanks for taking the time to write up your articles, they are much appreciated.
Huh? What do you mean body shop safe?
samsumon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 10:08 AM   #27
xp800

Drives: 2015 C7 Z51 A8 Stingray
As a C7 Z51 owner, we share the same Brembo brakes...and the same awful brake dust.

I have tried two different brands of pads in an effort to quell it. I tried Carbotech 1521 and then the PowerStop Z26. Carbotech was about 50-60% better. The Z26 is 90+% better. Both the Carbotech and PowerStop have the exact same brake performance (to me) in street driving as OEM.

Best part is the Z26 is like $130 total for both axles.

After installing the Z26, I recently switched to gloss black wheels from factory silver. Even after 300 miles of city driving they still looked good. Not perfect up close with a finger swipe, but from 5 feet away you'd really need to know what perfectly clean glossy black wheels look like. They did not magically look 'flat black'. Versus OEM that looked worse than this after 20 miles, this was huge for me... And I do NOT have my wheels treated with anything. The dust that there is basically just sprays off.

Thread on it here in C7 Z51 application (but pad #s are the same for the Brembo 6th Gen SS):

http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...rake-pads.html

Also the Z23 pads have been reported to have quite similar performance as Z26 and are even less.
xp800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 10:10 PM   #28
Com69
Banned

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS 6M Nightfall Gray
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsumon View Post
Huh? What do you mean body shop safe?
If you have to ask, you don't need to worry about it.
Com69 is offline   Reply With Quote