Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-28-2016, 08:18 PM   #29
suzook

Drives: camaro
Rinseless is great for some, but it ain't happening up here in the northeast in the winter. Then spring arrives dropping tons of pollen and garbage in the air. Summer? Sure I will give it a try.
Old 01-28-2016, 08:23 PM   #30
bpang1234
You can only YOLO once.

Drives: '16 2SS & '15 Subaru Forester
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiBlueCamaro View Post
For me traditional 2 bucket wash is better but for people with no garage etc.. then i guess is ok.
Agreed...2 bucket wash is superior to rinseless in terms of having the least amount of scratching on the paint.

Rinseless is good though for a lot of us especially those with no means to wash (apartment/condo dwellers) or those with hard winters.

I use Optimum No-Rinse both in the winter and during the rest of the year as it makes my regular car wash that much more slick.
bpang1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 08:26 PM   #31
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
I disagree but I'm not going to get into a long thing… Rinseless is better than two bucket. Because you never go back to the liquid and contaminate it. You do with two bucket.

And of course if the car is is FILTHY dirty it needs a hose wash with higher lubricity.

Last edited by Glen e; 01-28-2016 at 09:24 PM.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 09:16 PM   #32
jimmypop13

Drives: 2016 camaro ss
Can I still do a rinseless after I drove my car through heavy rain on the highway for an hour? There'es no big chunks of anything on it, just dried dirty highway water.
jimmypop13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 09:24 PM   #33
Glen e

You can do a rinseless on anything but a car coming out of a blizzard in the Northeast thats got crap all over it. Just use more microfibers for panels per the procedure. Use commonsense for one it's got to be washed off first , at A spray place or with the hose. I just did a 200 mile run through the pouring rain with visibility down to zero sometimes, and a 20 min rinseless was fine when I got home.
Old 01-29-2016, 09:53 AM   #34
Stex

Drives: 67 goat, 69 goat ram air III
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
Jimmy - call me before you start and I'll give you a few more things that will save time..... PM me...
Quote:
I would rinse the car with clear water, dry and applyCS. After that not for a couple months , it's just not necessary. And then continue to do your rinseless See the other post I put up about using a drying agent, aqua wax, for drying ....do that every 3rd or 4th wash to supercharge the CS......
Glen, can you share the additional time savers time savers you have not covered? I have read your dropbox items. Thanks for that.

1. Is aqua wax the drying agent you mentioned?

2. I am open for M/F rinseless towel recommendations. Considering Adams single and gray M/F and have looked at the Rag place. I will need a 'few' as one of my rides is a CC sierra that is mostly dust collector (except for the hunting and pasture trips) . Cannot stand to drive it dusty and a two bucket every 4-5 days on a truck is a pain.

3. You are using the BF seal with the DG rinseless with great results. Do you think there is anything to gain by staying in the BF polymer family?
Stex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 10:00 AM   #35
FlightSoftware

Drives: '95 Corvette, '06 Mustang, 2LT RS
I think the thing that tripped me up on this was the 'rinseless' and 'waterless' terms. For me the key insight is not reusing the wash mitt (microfiber). It was a real 'aha' moment. Just buy enough wash mits to never have to re-wet one. This is -identical- to a traditional wash (you could even rinse if you wanted to), just don't ever put a 'mitt' (mf towel) back in the bucket.

I look at the rinseless aspect as an optimization. The fact that the wash solution isn't contaminated is the core concept.
Old 01-29-2016, 10:04 AM   #36
Glen e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stex View Post
Glen, can you share the additional time savers time savers you have not covered? I have read your dropbox items. Thanks for that.

1. Is aqua wax the drying agent you mentioned?yes that or Prima Hydro

2. I am open for M/F rinseless towel recommendations. Considering Adams single and gray M/F and have looked at the Rag place. I will need a 'few' as one of my rides is a CC sierra that is mostly dust collector (except for the hunting and pasture trips) . Cannot stand to drive it dusty and a two bucket every 4-5 days on a truck is a pain. you need 10...and a waffle weave...the towel in the "master plan" is what I recommend

3. You are using the BF seal with the DG rinseless with great results. Do you think there is anything to gain by staying in the BF polymer family?I found the BF poly spray to be expensive/worthless, the DG works as well as the blackfire rinseless and cheaper.
Old 01-29-2016, 12:36 PM   #37
bpang1234
You can only YOLO once.

Drives: '16 2SS & '15 Subaru Forester
Quote:
I disagree but I'm not going to get into a long thing… Rinseless is better than two bucket. Because you never go back to the liquid and contaminate it. You do with two bucket.

And of course if the car is is FILTHY dirty it needs a hose wash with higher lubricity.
Well you could always use one bucket and a shit-ton of wash towels...but still having more liquid (at least to me) is better.
bpang1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 12:42 PM   #38
L&M CAMARO 6

Drives: Just a fan for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stex View Post

1. Is aqua wax the drying agent you mentioned?

2. I am open for M/F rinseless towel recommendations. Considering Adams single and gray M/F and have looked at the Rag place. I will need a 'few' as one of my rides is a CC sierra that is mostly dust collector (except for the hunting and pasture trips) . Cannot stand to drive it dusty and a two bucket every 4-5 days on a truck is a pain.

3. You are using the BF seal with the DG rinseless with great results. Do you think there is anything to gain by staying in the BF polymer family?
The rag store seems to have very good prices and from what I hear they sell very good quality. Adams sells some nice MF towels but they are pricey.
L&M CAMARO 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 12:49 PM   #39
Glen e

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightSoftware View Post
I think the thing that tripped me up on this was the 'rinseless' and 'waterless' terms. For me the key insight is not reusing the wash mitt (microfiber). It was a real 'aha' moment. Just buy enough wash mits to never have to re-wet one. This is -identical- to a traditional wash (you could even rinse if you wanted to), just don't ever put a 'mitt' (mf towel) back in the bucket.

I look at the rinseless aspect as an optimization. The fact that the wash solution isn't contaminated is the core concept.
Yeah , you get it. The wash technique is separate from rinseless. It's called the Gary Dean wash method you can Google it on YouTube it. But the idea is you only need one bucket because you never go back to that bucket for rinse of the mitt. With 5 microfibers in the wash so.ution, it's just it's as if you had a 5 bucket method, get me?

Rinseless and waterless are different. If you're trying to use waterless to clean your car, you will scratch it. Because there's not enough lubricity, because you don't have a flooded surface, either with the rinseless and MF or hose soAP. I wont use waterless.

None of these techniques were available before the invention of microfiber and the extra lubricity of rinseless products.,The microfiber catches and holds the dirt safely away from the paint, as it flows across the surface of a layer of water. That's why it doesn't scratch.

Last edited by Glen e; 01-29-2016 at 01:00 PM.
Old 02-03-2016, 02:33 PM   #40
jimmypop13

Drives: 2016 camaro ss
Hey Glen, how do you know when you need to reapply BF crystal seal? Do you normally just time it to 3-4 months or is there something you start to notice when doing a rinseless that keys you in that it's time to reapply a sealant?

Thanks!
jimmypop13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 02:39 PM   #41
Glen e

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmypop13 View Post
Hey Glen, how do you know when you need to reapply BF crystal seal? Do you normally just time it to 3-4 months or is there something you start to notice when doing a rinseless that keys you in that it's time to reapply a sealant?

Thanks!
good question...crystal seal will sheet and not bead, but that does not mean the stuff is wearing off, that's a function of some polymers. The stuff abrades off so you cant really have too much. I think 2-4 months is a good time to apply. In temp climes like fla I'm getting 4-5 months, up north in the lousy weather it could be 2-3 months....But you cant put too much on...for example if you did it a month ago, and you have a wedding to attend, go ahead and do it again, no problem.

if you supercharge your rinseless washes with a spray of aquawax before you dry, the Crystal seal will last even longer.
Old 02-03-2016, 03:24 PM   #42
Luigi91

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
As far as the sealant type stuff that you talk about, are there places that will apply it for you?
Luigi91 is offline   Reply With Quote