Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

Bigwormgraphix

Old 12-27-2016, 09:33 AM   #29
Mighunter

Drives: 2017 Summit White 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan1LTRS View Post
Mike's car wash has spinning brushes. They are really cool. They give your finish that fresh brillo pad look.
Funny you should mention a brillo pad....my best friends first car was a dark maroon chevy manza. One day I go to his house and as I'm walking past his car i notice white scratches all over the car. When he comes to the door, I say

"dude, what the **** happened to your car?"
He says, "what? I just washed it."
I saw with what?
he says "A brillo pad"
I said, are you friggen retarded?
He said "Why? it was already used."

Needless to say, almost 30 years later he's never lived that down. When he moved to AZ and he got is first new car, I mailed him a box of brillo pads
Mighunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 09:39 AM   #30
SPARTAN sui
PC Technician

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine Corps View Post
Some sound a little paranoid. I don't have access to a driveway so I go to a touch-less car wash without issues. I do wax often so my 2SS stays pristine. As they say, to each it's own.
Automatic car washes that touch your paint will damage your paint. That is a fact. The damage may be pretty minimal at first, but over time it will make your car swirl city. I would not be surprised if a lot of these automatic washes use a glaze to minimize the appearance of these micro abrasions as well. So even if you inspect your car really well after hitting the local automatic car wash, you might not notice any damage until the glaze wears off or you strip it off.

I've damaged my own paint by not caring for my synthetic wool mitts properly. I've switched to microfiber chenille and they perform much better.

Touchless automatic car washes are okay for the most part. It's what I use in the winter as I have no choice.
Old 12-27-2016, 01:51 PM   #31
Michigan1LTRS
Blessed ❤️

Drives: 2017 1LT RS I4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighunter View Post
Funny you should mention a brillo pad....my best friends first car was a dark maroon chevy manza. One day I go to his house and as I'm walking past his car i notice white scratches all over the car. When he comes to the door, I say

"dude, what the **** happened to your car?"
He says, "what? I just washed it."
I saw with what?
he says "A brillo pad"
I said, are you friggen retarded?
He said "Why? it was already used."

Needless to say, almost 30 years later he's never lived that down. When he moved to AZ and he got is first new car, I mailed him a box of brillo pads
Old 12-27-2016, 04:04 PM   #32
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis7 View Post
just take it to next door joe's car wash!

He wouldn't spend what I charge, and I'm too far away!

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 10:08 PM   #33
18LTLoveIt

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue LT RS
Convertible Auto Car Washing!?!

Havin a drop top means special care. There are several companies that make car wash for convertible tops. You use a soft brush and rinse a lot and micro fiber towel patting the top. The companies also have UV/repellent treatment to use after when completely dry. 3 to 4 coats & your good for a year. You have to mask off car, the chemicals aren't paint friendly. You want to keep top in great shape. It's very expensive to replace.
18LTLoveIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 11:58 PM   #34
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdog9586 View Post
Guys it is just a car. If it will fit a automatic car wash without ripping the underside or scrape up the wheels I won't get a cent more out if it either way. I ran my Z06 through one of those touchless type washes except it had cloth brushes top and sides for a season and a half only problem I had was picking out the pieces of cloth out of the rear spoiler and that was a 100K car.
Take it to a professional detailer. Get a monthly maintenance package. You can afford it! If you are near KY, I know a really good one LOL!
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 08:25 AM   #35
camaromike77

Drives: S O L D
A drive through car wash = .....NEVER......
Borla S-Type exhaust NPP| GM CAI | Color matched GM side skirts | Color matched 3rd brake light | Big Worm Graphics smoked out tail lights & rear reflectors | Oracle ghosted side markers | LED License plate bulbs | Door striker covers | Jam handle | Engine emblems from RiverCity Creations | 50th Center Console | Black bow ties | Hawk Performance ceramic brake pads | ZL1 Start button | CQuartz ceramic paint finish | Novistretch bra | S O L D
camaromike77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 09:58 AM   #36
Zack46

Drives: 2018 2SS Camaro Hot Wheels Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaromike77 View Post
A drive through car wash = .....NEVER......

2018 Camaro 2SS Orange Crush Hot Wheels Limited Edition
Power Sunroof, 8 Speed Auto/Remote Start, NPP Exhaust
Production Sequence Number 98
NEOCC Camaro Club Member

Former Ride: 2016 Camaro 2LT RS V6 Hyper Blue Metallic
Zack46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 06:57 PM   #37
robbie52

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Convertible
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdog9586 View Post
I just got the 50th anniversary Convertible and wondered if anyone uses the drive through car washes? Will it fit without damage.
Manual states to not use car washes for convertibles. I would not use an automatic car wash regardless of what the manual says.