Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 05-10-2019, 07:47 PM   #1
samjlee27

Drives: Summit White 2018 Camaro 1SS M6
Please Help

I've posted about this issue before but I'm going mad because of it. My 2018 SS has been having really bad hanging RPM's after installing a K&N Cold Air Intake. It only happens when I rev up to ~2000 rpm's and it's even worse when engaged in reverse or first gear.

Usually when I'm in reverse I like to tap the gas before releasing the clutch and after intalling the CAI, the revs will shoot up to two grand and hold there for a few seconds before falling. If I rev it up a bit harder, it will fall somewhat more normally which I don't understand. 100% sure this didn't happen before because I have a video of the car before and after.

Checked for vacuum leaks using propane, didn't find any. Cleaned out the MAF, issue still persists. Reset the ECU by disconnecting the battery and letting it sit, nothing. What's weird is if I rev it while rolling in neutral around 2k, it falls at a normal speed. Once I come to a stop, back to hanging. Also if I rev while clutched in while rolling, it will hold. It makes it such a pain when trying to rev-match.

Few buddies of mine think the intake is sucking in way too much air and that it needs a tune even though K&N markets the product (63-3092) without requiring a tune.

I will send $50 on Venmo to the person who can help me resolve this annoying rev hang.

samjlee27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 08:08 PM   #2
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Put it back to stock, and You can keep the fiddy.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 08:16 PM   #3
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
Put it back to stock, and You can keep the fiddy.
I was going to say something similar. If you reinstall the OEM air intake, does the problem go away? Seems like an easy test.
Old 05-10-2019, 08:17 PM   #4
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
Do the brake cleaner test around all connections, look for vacuum leaks.. folded coupling, broken or pinched o-ring.. damaged mass flow ? no codes ?

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 08:42 PM   #5
Sev

Drives: 2016 2SS / 2004 Tacoma
Did you have the car tuned after installing the CAI? If notn you need to do this to re-map the air to fuel mixture.

"I'm going to drink you pretty, beautiful toad"
Sev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 08:48 PM   #6
CRF8
Scenic City Camaro

Drives: 2022 Camaro ZL-1 /1974 Firebird 400
Put the stock one back on. It will still have the issue. Take it to the dealer under warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-10-2019, 08:55 PM   #7
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
return the K&N and get a Rotofab. k&n crap. really unless your tuned and long tube headers there is no benefit besides looks. like the others said put it back to stock and see if it solves the problem. If not try a throttle body relearn. if it still does it return to stock take to the dealer with no mention of the k&n
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRAY View Post
Clean it all up first which I am sure you have already.

Key on for 3 min
Key off for 1 min
Key on for 3 min
Key off for 1 min
Start and let idle for 1 min
Go drive
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 10:49 PM   #8
BruceWayne1LE

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE M6
[QUOTE=samjlee27;10515743]I've posted about this issue before but I'm going mad because of it. My 2018 SS has been having really bad hanging RPM's after installing a K&N Cold Air Intake. It only happens when I rev up to ~2000 rpm's and it's even worse when engaged in reverse or first gear.

Usually when I'm in reverse I like to tap the gas before releasing the clutch and after intalling the CAI, the revs will shoot up to two grand and hold there for a few seconds before falling. If I rev it up a bit harder, it will fall somewhat more normally which I don't understand. 100% sure this didn't happen before because I have a video of the car before and after.

Checked for vacuum leaks using propane, didn't find any. Cleaned out the MAF, issue still persists. Reset the ECU by disconnecting the battery and letting it sit, nothing. What's weird is if I rev it while rolling in neutral around 2k, it falls at a normal speed. Once I come to a stop, back to hanging. Also if I rev while clutched in while rolling, it will hold. It makes it such a pain when trying to rev-match.

Few buddies of mine think the intake is sucking in way too much air and that it needs a tune even though K&N markets the product (63-3092) without requiring a tune.

I will send $50 on Venmo to the person who can help me resolve this annoying rev hang.

OPTION A
Make sure you wipe any excess filter oil off that greasy K&N filter.
Then remove the MAF sensor and gently clean it with some MAF cleaner. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE MAF SENSOR FACING TGE CORRECT DIRECTION.
Unplug negative terminal, reset ECM and hope for the best.

I’ve read a few similar issues with the KN filter fouling the MAF sensor. As well as having the sensor backwards. Not possible on the rotofab, CAI or GM CAI. but not sure about the KN

OPTION B
Put the stick one back on.
Old 05-11-2019, 06:43 AM   #9
1hprush
2018 ZL1 1LE

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
You are already frustrated with this issue, trying to force the issue will only take more time and money and you'll probably end up with the same results. Return it to stock, if that takes care of it, get compatible CAI that's already been proven to work, done!
1hprush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 07:19 AM   #10
Lazerbrainz2k3

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS - M6, NPP, MRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by samjlee27 View Post
I've posted about this issue before
I'll say - 2 minutes earlier in the Camaro Issues section! I knew this looked familiar.

If you want to be absolutely, positively sure your CAI works, get the GM one. You even get a warranty-compatible tune with it, so you can tell people you're running a tune.
Lazerbrainz2k3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 11:17 AM   #11
Memphis SS

Drives: 2017 SS A8 Hyper Blue/White Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazerbrainz2k3 View Post
I'll say - 2 minutes earlier in the Camaro Issues section! I knew this looked familiar.

If you want to be absolutely, positively sure your CAI works, get the GM one. You even get a warranty-compatible tune with it, so you can tell people you're running a tune.
Ok... CAI are one of the biggest waste of money I’ve seen on the forum
NO HP gain on stock motors even GM CAI claims no HP gain, the Tune is mainly for California emissions.

If you take the time to look at how the stock unit works it has cold air duct to the lower grill and actually gets forced cool air at highway speed.

And I will agree if you want to “say” you have a CAI and tune then that’s about all you get for your money

Plus you can also see if your filter is dirty just by looking through the pretty clear cover.

I would put it back stock and see if it fixes the issue, don’t spend any more money until you see how it does back to stock and go from there.

Last edited by Memphis SS; 05-11-2019 at 01:19 PM.
Memphis SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 11:48 AM   #12
Fatty1707

Drives: 2019 ZL1 A10
Back to Stock ASAP! CAI is the culprit!
Fatty1707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 12:32 PM   #13
njweatherman

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS, redline edition
I have a 2018 2ss automatic with the K&N blackhawk air intake 71-3092.
The only things I noticed different after install were the following:
1. Whistling noise while accelerating.
2. Car runs a little richer, but no CEL codes.

Sorry, wish I could help.
njweatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 02:58 PM   #14
Lazerbrainz2k3

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS - M6, NPP, MRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis SS View Post
Ok... CAI are one of the biggest waste of money I’ve seen on the forum
NO HP gain on stock motors even GM CAI claims no HP gain, the Tune is mainly for California emissions.

If you take the time to look at how the stock unit works it has cold air duct to the lower grill and actually gets forced cool air at highway speed.

And I will agree if you want to “say” you have a CAI and tune then that’s about all you get for your money

Plus you can also see if your filter is dirty just by looking through the pretty clear cover.

I would put it back stock and see if it fixes the issue, don’t spend any more money until you see how it does back to stock and go from there.
I meant, works with the CAR (as in not throwing codes and other problems, plus maintains warranty just in case if your dealership is one of those that gets overly aggressive about denying claims on modded cars), not works in terms of adding performance.
Lazerbrainz2k3 is offline   Reply With Quote