Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic modifications (exterior and interior)

AWE Tuning

Old 02-25-2019, 08:21 PM   #29
WallsAndFoundations
IG: Infinite.Drive

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS in Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsChristianInHD View Post
Really?? I thought changing the temputure only makes the color different rather then making them brighter?
Do you have a pic?
They can do both. White light tends to travel farther and be seen easier. So a 5-5500k color temp would most likely be optimal for the sake of brightness. Anything higher tends to start having a blue or purple hue and North of 6000k would more than likely result in a less visible light output compared to 4300-6000k

Fight your mind
WallsAndFoundations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 10:38 PM   #30
ItsChristianInHD

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2LT RS 3.6L
Quote:
Originally Posted by WallsAndFoundations View Post
They can do both. White light tends to travel farther and be seen easier. So a 5-5500k color temp would most likely be optimal for the sake of brightness. Anything higher tends to start having a blue or purple hue and North of 6000k would more than likely result in a less visible light output compared to 4300-6000k
I’m really hard pressed between 5k and 6k.
ItsChristianInHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 05:15 PM   #31
bpang1234
You can only YOLO once.

Drives: '16 2SS & '15 Subaru Forester
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsChristianInHD View Post
I’m really hard pressed between 5k and 6k.
https://www.youtube.com/user/RetrofitSource

Here you go, these guys' videos should help you make a decision.

Remember, always use quality Bulbs and Ballasts from Osram, Philips or Morimoto.
-1st Car to have the "full" SEMA High Performance Graphics kit from 6LEDesigns.
-1st Car to have the 6LEDesigns Blade Spoiler.
-Borla S-Type w/ custom H-Pipe
-Procharger P-1X Stage 2
bpang1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 04:05 PM   #32
FlyTrap

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red 2SS 6 Spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-a-reeno View Post
I replaced the driver's side HID bulb in my 2016 RS V6. The first indication that my bulb was burning out was that the color turned pink:

[/IMG]
Steve, thank you so much for this in depth/detailed removal guide. I couldn't find anything except your thread that completely explained the removal process. I got hung up on which way to twist the bulb housing to get it to pop out. Also thought there was so kind of pin or release for the wiring connection, but after seeing your thread, again I found that not to be the case. Whole thing only look about an hour. Thanks again.
FlyTrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 10:49 PM   #33
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
I started with 5K and while better than stock, still wasn't as white as I wanted. I then changed to 6K and it had a bit too much blue hue.

I just changed to 5500K and like it much better. The whitest of the 3, with just a very TINY blue, barely noticeable.

Now the only issue I am having is since I have had to pry the connection out 3 times total, I think I messed up the wire for the eyebrow on the driver's side. :(

The driver's side eyebrow LED light is not working. The vertical one works, just not the brow. They both work on the passenger side.

Anyone have a clue? It will suck to have to take it to the dealer to fix it.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 11:10 PM   #34
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
I started with 5K and while better than stock, still wasn't as white as I wanted. I then changed to 6K and it had a bit too much blue hue.

I just changed to 5500K and like it much better. The whitest of the 3, with just a very TINY blue, barely noticeable.

Now the only issue I am having is since I have had to pry the connection out 3 times total, I think I messed up the wire for the eyebrow on the driver's side. :(

The driver's side eyebrow LED light is not working. The vertical one works, just not the brow. They both work on the passenger side.

Anyone have a clue? It will suck to have to take it to the dealer to fix it.
I can give you the schematics for the headlight/eyebrow DRL, but would that help? If you chopped a wire off, chances are you'll need parts. Any chance you can take a picture of the connector and the wires?

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 12:21 PM   #35
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
I can give you the schematics for the headlight/eyebrow DRL, but would that help? If you chopped a wire off, chances are you'll need parts. Any chance you can take a picture of the connector and the wires?
Thanks, I would appreciate it.

There is a metal outer clip that covers the green connector for the headlight bulb and it is that metal piece that is all mangled and exposed the wires that connect to the connector.

I think when I was prying the connector out I maybe pulled on one of those wires and disconnected it from the connector.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 01:10 PM   #36
cmeJATT

Drives: SS-6-SPD
A lot Of good info here
cmeJATT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 09:54 PM   #37
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
Thanks, I would appreciate it.

There is a metal outer clip that covers the green connector for the headlight bulb and it is that metal piece that is all mangled and exposed the wires that connect to the connector.

I think when I was prying the connector out I maybe pulled on one of those wires and disconnected it from the connector.
Sure, here you go, hopefully it'll help you identify the wire you may have sliced based on the color. I know it isn't much to go with, but I haven't seen this happen, so no idea if you can fix it or will need parts.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18

Last edited by arpad_m; 05-06-2019 at 09:39 PM.
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 10:38 PM   #38
V8RWD

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 50th
Okay, I just made the swap today. Ordered a set of D3S Osram CBB.

How are you guys even fitting the bulb (specifically, the square base) into the engine bay? I can't seem to actually do this. The stock air box for SS is larger than V6, and I coulnd't find a way.

Ended up having to turn the steering wheel all the way to the right, and peeling back the wheel well liner. I passed the bulb through there using right hand, and reached around from top with left. It was a real pain in the pass.

Passenger side was not too bad at all.

Regarding Osram CBB.... yeah a little over hyped. Those reviews on RetrofitSource on youtube seems like full of shit. HeadlightRevolution test on D3S bulbs specifically show only very marginal lux gains, and I would have to agree with that based on my eyes. It definitely did not improve lux by 50-70% like some reviews claim. Maybe RetrofitSource purposely tests with aging OEM bulbs?

Color wise, it's nowhere near 7000K. I knew that going in, but in my eyes, it seems like under 5000k. Hard to tell really, because everyone's eyes are going to be different. I do have a car with LEDs, and they are definitely much higher color temp.

Would I do it again? Not likely. I do not think it is worth the money.

EDIT: Before someone asks, yes they were authentic Osram bulbs. Used Osram's online authentication page to validate they were.
V8RWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 10:20 AM   #39
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, Jeep JKU Rubicon
Great thread, guys. Steve-a-rino, fantastically helpful write-up!

Are people having their OEM bulbs burn out a lot? Sounds like a lot of you are swapping out working bulbs for something a little different, but that your stock bulbs are still working?

FWIW, the headlights on my 2016 SS with 17k miles still work fine. No change in output or color that I can perceive.
Old 05-29-2019, 10:55 AM   #40
V8RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwormgraphix View Post
We tested the Osram bulbs when we started selling HID bulbs, didn't see much difference over stock. The Morimoto bulbs seemed to have more improvement over stock in our testing, plus they are $75 per set instead of $200. Retrofit Source sells both so not sure why they hype the Osram bulbs so much.

I installed a set of Morimoto XB 4300K on my Toyota Venza. I would say, they are not better than stock--but very compariable in light output to stock. Obviously they appeared to be brighter upon changing it, because the original Philips bulb lasted 180,000km and at least half of that was night driving.

Value wise, if the Morimotos last as long as Philips, I would say they are amazing. But to be honest, given the price difference, even if they have half the life I would be okay with it.
Old 05-29-2019, 11:01 AM   #41
V8RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
Great thread, guys. Steve-a-rino, fantastically helpful write-up!

Are people having their OEM bulbs burn out a lot? Sounds like a lot of you are swapping out working bulbs for something a little different, but that your stock bulbs are still working?

FWIW, the headlights on my 2016 SS with 17k miles still work fine. No change in output or color that I can perceive.
You are correct, I only did it for something different. Mainly, the color temps. I never drive the Camaro in bad weather, so I only did it for appearance as lower color temp was not needed. And, the small hopes of these "higher performance" premium bulbs may actually put down more lumens/lux. Latter was not the case, at least for me in the Camaro.

One downside of these "higher performance" bulbs is that they are not rated to last as long. Osram actually straight up states in the box, that these bulbs will die sooner than their standard bulbs. 2500 hours is what is rated.

OEM HID bulbs are usually designed to last 7-8 years. I had a 1998 Lexus GS400 with 300,000KMs, and the headlamp bulbs went at around 250,000km and after 13 years. Venza that I mentioned in an earlier post, lasted a little less.

I would not be in a hurry to change your OEM HID bulbs. If they do burn out, then you can consider some options.

1. OEM Philips / Osram - These are what most manufacturers use.

2. "Premium" Aftermarket - Morimoto, Xenon Depot.. not quite ebay stuff, but great value.

3. "High Performance" OEM Brand - Philips and Osram also make these. You will see Cool Blue Intense, Xtreme White Vision etc. It is their attempt at capturing the tuner market. This is what I recently installed, and IMHO not worth the money from a value perspective.

I would stick to top 2 options.
Old 05-29-2019, 12:42 PM   #42
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, Jeep JKU Rubicon
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8RWD View Post
You are correct, I only did it for something different. Mainly, the color temps. I never drive the Camaro in bad weather, so I only did it for appearance as lower color temp was not needed. And, the small hopes of these "higher performance" premium bulbs may actually put down more lumens/lux. Latter was not the case, at least for me in the Camaro.

One downside of these "higher performance" bulbs is that they are not rated to last as long. Osram actually straight up states in the box, that these bulbs will die sooner than their standard bulbs. 2500 hours is what is rated.

OEM HID bulbs are usually designed to last 7-8 years. I had a 1998 Lexus GS400 with 300,000KMs, and the headlamp bulbs went at around 250,000km and after 13 years. Venza that I mentioned in an earlier post, lasted a little less.

I would not be in a hurry to change your OEM HID bulbs. If they do burn out, then you can consider some options.

1. OEM Philips / Osram - These are what most manufacturers use.

2. "Premium" Aftermarket - Morimoto, Xenon Depot.. not quite ebay stuff, but great value.

3. "High Performance" OEM Brand - Philips and Osram also make these. You will see Cool Blue Intense, Xtreme White Vision etc. It is their attempt at capturing the tuner market. This is what I recently installed, and IMHO not worth the money from a value perspective.

I would stick to top 2 options.
Good info. Thanks!

Yeah, I only drive my Camaro in bad weather when the weatherman is wrong. And, I try to avoid night driving as much as possible. I think my '16 SS already has great headlights, so I am not about to spend $ on different bulbs. I am ok with the current color temperature.

On a number of past vehicles, I have wanted better lighting. This led to me adding all kinds of driving lamps and/or higher wattage bulbs, which has given me a fair amount of experience with good lighting. Even so, I have no issue with the stock lights. Maybe if I spent a lot of time driving high speed at night, I'd want more, but not for normal driving. I don't tend to speed at night since you can't see the police cars until it is too late.