Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-18-2023, 09:23 AM   #1
zaimer

Drives: 23 ZL1 6speed
Radar detector hardwire in '19+?

Has anyone figured out a way of hardwiring our radars into the newer Camaro's? I previously had a '17 2SS and I tapped into the power above the overhead lights. It was quite easy and worked great! I never realized that the newer cars are completely different in that regard.

The only "solution" that I have seen so far is to purchase an ~$85 wire harness from the YouTube Camaro guy. That price is ridiculous for some wire and connectors. I almost refuse to pay it... unless I absolutely "have" to. I already have hundreds into the radar, around $100 for the stupid blendmount and the wiretap harness with like $30... so another $85 now (for this car) is salt on the wound.

Gone but not forgotten: ‘17 Camaro 2SS Yellow 6speed
zaimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2023, 12:08 PM   #2
DamonZ28

Drives: 2020 Camaro 2SS
Gen5DIY sells a wire harness too, but it's about the same price. It's really about the best option, without having to tap wires yourself.
RUXIFEY Smoked LED Side Marker Lights / Black SS emblem on rear bumper / Blue SS vinyl overlay on front bumper emblem / Wildhammer Rear Dark Reflectors / Trim Illusion Gloss Black Door Handle Covers / eBay Black Fuel Door / Screaming Chicken Fender Hash Marks / Color-Matched G2 Caliper Paint
RE Audio RFX10D4 10" Sub / Hand-made sub enclosure / Hifonics Zeus ZRX1200.1D amp / JL Audio LoC-22 line output converter / Sub Thump Plug N Play T-Harness With ANC Defeat Harness Kit

My Camaro Journal
DamonZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2023, 12:49 PM   #3
zaimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamonZ28 View Post
Gen5DIY sells a wire harness too, but it's about the same price. It's really about the best option, without having to tap wires yourself.
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, that is the harness that I was referring too..

I believe I have to purchase a new blendmount too, as the new mirror (camera) has a different design. I might as well just buy a brand new radar detector too at this point.

Would you be able to just run a wire (where the gen5 harness goes), tap into an existing harness and be done with it? I don't know if an entirely new harness/clips are necessary(?).

Old 08-18-2023, 02:20 PM   #4
MT-SS1LE

Drives: 2023 SS 1LE Sharkskin
I looked into this too when I got my SS a couple months ago. I've hardwired my detectors in every car I've ever owned at the rear view mirror. Apparently there is no 12V power by the rear view mirror in this car. The only option appears to be that harness that you have to run all the way to the passenger side. Not paying $85 for a run of wire and a couple connectors. Since it's not a daily driver, I'm just running power from the cigarette lighter plug for now.
MT-SS1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2023, 04:25 PM   #5
DamonZ28

I have a Gen5DIY harness, but it won't power a dash cam that has more than 1 channel (I have a 2 channel). So I plugged it into the cig lighter adapter, and tucked the wire in behind all of the trim. All you can see is the cig lighter adapter and the cord going straight down from it, and the cord coming out of the headliner right above the dash cam.
RUXIFEY Smoked LED Side Marker Lights / Black SS emblem on rear bumper / Blue SS vinyl overlay on front bumper emblem / Wildhammer Rear Dark Reflectors / Trim Illusion Gloss Black Door Handle Covers / eBay Black Fuel Door / Screaming Chicken Fender Hash Marks / Color-Matched G2 Caliper Paint
RE Audio RFX10D4 10" Sub / Hand-made sub enclosure / Hifonics Zeus ZRX1200.1D amp / JL Audio LoC-22 line output converter / Sub Thump Plug N Play T-Harness With ANC Defeat Harness Kit

My Camaro Journal
Old 08-18-2023, 06:26 PM   #6
Bumbleboy92
Long hauler

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamonZ28 View Post
I have a Gen5DIY harness, but it won't power a dash cam that has more than 1 channel (I have a 2 channel). So I plugged it into the cig lighter adapter, and tucked the wire in behind all of the trim. All you can see is the cig lighter adapter and the cord going straight down from it, and the cord coming out of the headliner right above the dash cam.
What dash cam do you have? I had one of Gen5DIY’s very early dash cam harnesses and ran 2-channel dash cam for years
Happiness: Infinite

Bumbleboy92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2023, 07:52 AM   #7
DamonZ28

Cheapo Amazon model. The rear cam won't turn on when plugged into the Gen5diy harness. I tried 2 other cheap Amazon models with the same results, I returned them because I thought they were faulty.

https://a.co/d/9UwYkhz

My Camaro Journal
Old 08-19-2023, 04:54 PM   #8
Rob99
I’m Magik a physco dog

Drives: '15 1LT/RS & '23 3LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaimer View Post
Has anyone figured out a way of hardwiring our radars into the newer Camaro's? I previously had a '17 2SS and I tapped into the power above the overhead lights. It was quite easy and worked great! I never realized that the newer cars are completely different in that regard.

The only "solution" that I have seen so far is to purchase an ~$85 wire harness from the YouTube Camaro guy. That price is ridiculous for some wire and connectors. I almost refuse to pay it... unless I absolutely "have" to. I already have hundreds into the radar, around $100 for the stupid blendmount and the wiretap harness with like $30... so another $85 now (for this car) is salt on the wound.
Since I don’t care for the detector mounted under the mirror I’m going to mount mine on the left side dash/pillar where the inspection sticker goes and power it with a RJ11 to usb cord that plugs into the center console, route out and under the drivers seat carpet and under the sill trim then continue up that trim to detector.
I will use either the two suction cup mount that came with my unit or those Scotch locks that come on the EZ pass transponder, one small piece should keep it in place.
I’m waiting on Amazon for the wire and will see how it goes from there.
2015 1LT Ashen Grey
2016 1LT Blue Velvet
My entire life has been 'A Midlife Crisis'

Rob99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2023, 04:58 PM   #9
Booher

Drives: 2019 zl1 6 speed
I got the harness from gen5diy as well. There is a much cheaper option, you can buy a universal radar detector hardwire kit for under $20 and just use an add a fuse. The blendmount Is waaay too much money for the 19+ imo. Like $220 or something, so I just use the suction mount that came with radar and it's tucked up much higher than the blendmount. I was all for blendmounts too, especially after my old camaro, but its just too much now imo. I suggest keeping it mounted near center of windshield so your pillars don't block any signals. Plenty of rm up and to the side of the rear view mirror
Booher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2023, 09:49 PM   #10
keep_hope_alive
Electrical Engineer

Drives: 2023 1SS A10 Black
Just snag 12V from the socket in the center console. You can use that to add more useful USB outlets other places too. That circuit is good for accessory control.

1100: 5/3/22 . . . . . . . 2000: 6/25/22 . . . . . .4000: 8/17/22 . . . . . . . 6000: 9/10/22

Daily Driver mileage update: 22k mi. @ April 2024
New Engine @ 22,600

Build Log: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...6#post11353116
keep_hope_alive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2023, 10:01 AM   #11
zaimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT-SS1LE View Post
I looked into this too when I got my SS a couple months ago. I've hardwired my detectors in every car I've ever owned at the rear view mirror. Apparently there is no 12V power by the rear view mirror in this car. The only option appears to be that harness that you have to run all the way to the passenger side. Not paying $85 for a run of wire and a couple connectors. Since it's not a daily driver, I'm just running power from the cigarette lighter plug for now.
That's where I'm at. $85 seems a bit ridiculous for something like that. If he can sell them, great, but it seems like a ripoff to me.

Old 08-21-2023, 10:04 AM   #12
zaimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booher View Post
I got the harness from gen5diy as well. There is a much cheaper option, you can buy a universal radar detector hardwire kit for under $20 and just use an add a fuse. The blendmount Is waaay too much money for the 19+ imo. Like $220 or something, so I just use the suction mount that came with radar and it's tucked up much higher than the blendmount. I was all for blendmounts too, especially after my old camaro, but its just too much now imo. I suggest keeping it mounted near center of windshield so your pillars don't block any signals. Plenty of rm up and to the side of the rear view mirror
This is what I was looking at doing. I basically just have to determine where to run the wire and what to tap into. I know it can be done for ~$15-$20 versus paying the $85 for a harness, which I don't think you really need anyway.

I just looked up the new blendmount... its like $230!!! No way would I consider paying that. I choked when I had to pay around $100 for my first mount. . I prefer to keep my radar in the center anyway- that is where I've always mounted it.

Old 08-21-2023, 02:55 PM   #13
Rob99
I’m Magik a physco dog

Drives: '15 1LT/RS & '23 3LT/RS
I was successful in running the wire to my detector from the USB port in the center console under the drivers seat and under the plastic sill trim and then up to the left pillar are where the detector sits,
I used a small square of Scotch Lok (like velcro ) but doesn't leave adhesive residue behind on the dash, but may switch to Uniden's suction cup mount.

Reason being for the detector to sit flat enough to adhere the Scotch Lok i cant reach between the pillar to hit the mute button,
with the suction cup alternative i can move it away a inch to
the right so i can get my finger to hit the mute.

Heres a link for the RJ11 to USB wire use the 9.56ft long one its perfect.https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BLTSS9C2...t_details&th=1
2015 1LT Ashen Grey
2016 1LT Blue Velvet
My entire life has been 'A Midlife Crisis'

Rob99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2023, 03:54 PM   #14
EliteLT1

Drives: 2022 Camaro LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaimer View Post
This is what I was looking at doing. I basically just have to determine where to run the wire and what to tap into. I know it can be done for ~$15-$20 versus paying the $85 for a harness, which I don't think you really need anyway.

I just looked up the new blendmount... its like $230!!! No way would I consider paying that. I choked when I had to pay around $100 for my first mount. . I prefer to keep my radar in the center anyway- that is where I've always mounted it.
I'm using a universal mount that works perfectly with the Uniden R3. I hardwired it into the cigarette lighter like somebody mentioned above, it's easier than it sounds (remove the center console and tap into the power wire going to cigarette lighter). You'll also need a T-tap to tap into the actual wire. Something like the last link below, but I don't remember the size I got

I still need to do some cable management to get the wiring from the center console to the driver side A-pillar, but it's worked flawlessly so far. I even have a mute button mounted right next to the center console

I don't know why pictures never load with the correct orientation, but I put a few below

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.digikey.com/en/products/...oaAn60EALw_wcB
Attached Images

EliteLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote