Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 04-23-2014, 07:52 PM   #1
Anwro
Red 2SS

Drives: Camaros
2010SS A/C disengaging

Hello there ,

I would really appreciate if someone could help me with this, I have a 2010 ss , last year i noticed that the A/c sometimes blow weird smell and gets a little bet hot, days after the smell kicks in again and immediately the A/C blows hot air. After checking under hood i noticed that only in sunny days , or when its too hot, the a/c compressor automatically disengages and i can see it not moving. So what i have see now , A/C runs fine at night, but stops blowing cold air at day for like 20 minutes then compressor starts to kick in again and A/c is back to cold. Went to dealer and did not know the cause and recommended me to replace the entire A/c system to eliminate the problem. So i went to a workshop, and they mentioned that there is an electrical problem that causes the A/c compressor to stop and blow hot air, he said that he plugged a wire into the fuse box and it solved the problem as a quick fix ! I did not like the wire method which looked that it may cause more problems so i removed it, I then empty the A/c gas, and fill it up again, A/C is now good and cold ! , now after winter i started using the A/C and the same problem is coming back again , (smell then hot air , Compressor disanging on hot weather and sunny day) ..

Sorry If my case is repeated , but i searched and could not find any help , and please excuse my English..

thanks

2010 Camaro 2ss L99 Red - Kooks+Corsa+VR+Ebiach LowerKit-
2002 Camaro SS LS1 Black - Kooks+SLP+Hurst-
2009 Escalade Pearl White - Corsa -
Anwro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 08:23 PM   #2
102SS
waiting at the tree

Drives: SIM 2010 2SS/RS A6
The smell could be your cabin filter.

Your system may also need a recharge to top it up.
102SS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 11:20 PM   #3
RobertRS

Drives: 2014 2SS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by 102SS View Post
The smell could be your cabin filter.

Your system may also need a recharge to top it up.

^^^ This. Inspect and change the cabin filter first. A plugged one can cause evaporator freezing and major air flow restriction , not to mention foul odors.
RobertRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 08:41 PM   #4
SSMickey

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS
Couple of things. Make sure you have a proper charge in the system and there are no leaks. Check the condenser and make sure the air flow through the fins is not restricted. The fans should come on when the A/C is on to pull air through the condenser. Restricted air flow through the condenser will push the A/C pressures to high and the compresser will shut down to protect itself. Once the pressures decrease, the compressor will come back on and the cycle will start all over again.

After re-reading your OP, it sounds like you have a low refrigerant charge due to a leak somewhere. The system comes from the factory with a dye installed. Should be easy to find with a UV light, unless it's the evaporator core in the dash. Change the cabin air filter and see if tha helps the smell first.
Old 04-25-2014, 09:29 AM   #5
Anwro
Red 2SS

102SS, RobertRS

Thanks for the tip, ill change that filter and see ..

Old 04-25-2014, 09:57 AM   #6
Anwro
Red 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSMickey View Post
Couple of things. Make sure you have a proper charge in the system and there are no leaks. Check the condenser and make sure the air flow through the fins is not restricted. The fans should come on when the A/C is on to pull air through the condenser. Restricted air flow through the condenser will push the A/C pressures to high and the compresser will shut down to protect itself. Once the pressures decrease, the compressor will come back on and the cycle will start all over again.

After re-reading your OP, it sounds like you have a low refrigerant charge due to a leak somewhere. The system comes from the factory with a dye installed. Should be easy to find with a UV light, unless it's the evaporator core in the dash. Change the cabin air filter and see if tha helps the smell first.

The smell only comes when the compressor as a sign that the compressor disengaged, however , ill take your advice and see what happens , thanks for the help man

Old 05-18-2014, 01:33 AM   #7
Anwro
Red 2SS

Fixed the problem, was an electrical problem. the issue was the Fuse Box! , The a/c cluch fuse was not engaging because the fuse wast receiving electricity, pulled it out and clean it, plugged it back again properly and a/c is ice cold back again

thank you all for helping

Old 05-18-2014, 07:20 AM   #8
102SS
waiting at the tree

Drives: SIM 2010 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anwro View Post
Fixed the problem, was an electrical problem. the issue was the Fuse Box! , The a/c cluch fuse was not engaging because the fuse wast receiving electricity, pulled it out and clean it, plugged it back again properly and a/c is ice cold back again

thank you all for helping
Cool glad you got it figured out.

Did you change your cabin filter yet?
102SS is online now   Reply With Quote