#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 07-10-2012, 04:04 PM   #57
PT145SS

Drives: 2011 2SS, 2008 MB E50, 2004 RAM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamZ View Post
Pulling out the case law. I love it. For a terry frisk (as you said terry pat) I can only frisk down for weapons for my safety so if I felt a baggy in their pocket or anything I could only ask him what it is. He can say a bag of candy and that would be the end of it. Even if I was sure it was dope. Unless I saw him put it there then it's forbidden territory.

You are right with probable cause and reasonable belief. I need probably cause to search a vehicle. Even with reasonable belief I can not search anything. I can however frisk for weapons just for my safety with just reasonable belief.

You must have been an Ohio resident at some point or just did some research either way
Nope, never even been to Ohio. That being said Terry vs. Ohio is important to everyone in every state. I have not read Terry vs. Ohio in a very long time but I believe it also says that the LEO must be able to articulate reasonable belief. I'm not sure if I'm on that jury that I would be able to jump to the conclusion that they were smoking weed simply because they put on cologne/body spray. And it might not even hold up under the ordinary person test in regards to being able to articulate reasonable belief.

Now had it been said that "in my many , many years of on the street, it is fairly common that people use cologne/body spay for the sole purpose of cover up the smell of weed... blah blah blah, then maybe one can derive reasonable belief.
PT145SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 04:06 PM   #58
AdamZ
Account Suspended

Drives: Eve - 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangore View Post
That's a great way to ruin your day. A simple "No, I don't" works better IMO. Even inserting a sir or ma'am is a good idea. Some officers are bad, but many/most are normal people trying to do a hard job. My respect goes out to them for trying to do what they do.
Using "Yes Sir" or "Yes officer" with me on a traffic stop nearly guarantees your warning rather than a ticket. Now if it would be your 2 or 3rd warning than no lol. Or if you were going 90 in a 45. Or, this was my favorite yet, calling me little boy. Those 3 examples are just a few of the things that have changed my mind from warning to ticket
AdamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 04:07 PM   #59
PT145SS

Drives: 2011 2SS, 2008 MB E50, 2004 RAM
Quote:
That's a great way to ruin your day. A simple "No, I don't" works better IMO. Even inserting a sir or ma'am is a good idea. Some officers are bad, but many/most are normal people trying to do a hard job. My respect goes out to them for trying to do what they do.
Simply saying "No i don't" could be twisted into meaning that you were not paying enough attention to your driving.
PT145SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 04:14 PM   #60
AdamZ
Account Suspended

Drives: Eve - 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PT145SS View Post
Nope, never even been to Ohio. That being said Terry vs. Ohio is important to everyone in every state. I have not read Terry vs. Ohio in a very long time but I believe it also says that the LEO must be able to articulate reasonable belief. I'm not sure if I'm on that jury that I would be able to jump to the conclusion that they were smoking weed simply because they put on cologne/body spray. And it might not even hold up under the ordinary person test in regards to being able to articulate reasonable belief.

Now had it been said that "in my many , many years of on the street, it is fairly common that people use cologne/body spay for the sole purpose of cover up the smell of weed... blah blah blah, then maybe one can derive reasonable belief.
Yup that last bit will work. Unfortunately, I've only been on for 7 months now...so I can't use that defense yet. I didn't need any type of reasonable belief or probable cause for this. I just got them to admit it lol. If they would have denied it then I would have let them go on with their work. If they didn't show signs of use. I also could see the bloodshot eyes and they had a tad of slowed speech. I am sure if I would have checked their eyes I could have got them on vertical nystagmus also. It was all quite obvious lol. It wasn't just the body spray. That just made a better, funnier story lol.
AdamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 04:32 PM   #61
angie7
Smoked by a GIRL

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Quote:
I never say no unless I really dont know. I have a heavy foot so speeding is 95% of the reason I get pulled over. I have found honesty goes a long way. If I was speeding, Ill admit it bc I was. Caught fair and square, I deserve a ticket. Most of the time I dont get a ticket or if I do, they have always written it for less. I got caught doing 55 in a 30, wrote it for 45 in a 30. 65 in a 40 construction zone, wrote it for 55 & left off the construction zone part. Just some examples. Honesty and respect def pays off, IMO.
Old 07-10-2012, 04:37 PM   #62
kalimus

Drives: '14 Z51 3LT Stingray and '13 Cruze
Quote:
Simply saying "No i don't" could be twisted into meaning that you were not paying enough attention to your driving.
Haha I always say "No I don't sir/ma'am", because honestly, I don't. On the few times I've been stopped, I've suspected that it was for speeding. But I was also pulled over for having my back tag lights burned out one time. I am never 100% sure why I get pulled over, so really, I'm being honest. Sounds kind of smart-ass, but I could have a tail light out that I don't know about, it could be window tint, forgetting a blinker, speeding... most likely the last one
kalimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 04:39 PM   #63
Rangore

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS 45th Anniversary Ed
Quote:
Originally Posted by angie7 View Post
I never say no unless I really dont know. I have a heavy foot so speeding is 95% of the reason I get pulled over. I have found honesty goes a long way. If I was speeding, Ill admit it bc I was. Caught fair and square, I deserve a ticket. Most of the time I dont get a ticket or if I do, they have always written it for less. I got caught doing 55 in a 30, wrote it for 45 in a 30. 65 in a 40 construction zone, wrote it for 55 & left off the construction zone part. Just some examples. Honesty and respect def pays off, IMO.
That's because your a female. I never admit to it. I am courteous and say that I don't know why I was pulled over and go from there. I believe that if I get a ticket and I'm speeding then I deserve it, but I'm not going to try and encourage it further.
Old 07-10-2012, 04:42 PM   #64
KnightRiderSS
Voodoo Medicine Man

Drives: Black 2SS with RS package
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by angie7 View Post
:tweetz: <---These help.....

Old 07-10-2012, 04:55 PM   #65
BowtieBelle
They see me trollin'...

Drives: 217 ci of fury; Chauffeured by SS

2011 Custom LT/RS: Bella's Build Thread
BowtieBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:39 PM   #66
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

Drives: sometimes
was one of the guys about 70 and he started each sentence with "Hey man..."
Old 07-11-2012, 01:44 AM   #67
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
'

Minor misdemeanor drug possession. I told them to bring me the weed which they did. So I had the evidence.

You said it...they aren't too bright. I can threaten to do whatever I'd like as long as it's not killing them lol. They didn't know what probable cause/reasonable suspicion is. All they heard was "take this ticket or I will take your weed" lol
I was wondering....LMAO

I've put my hand out so many times and simply said, "hand it over. I'm not dumb, dude." And out comes the weed...

Quote:
It is quite interesting when it doesn't turn into flaming each other and actual thought is used before posting

Quote:
I've seen more pot smokers lead what would be classified as unsuccessful lives vs those that do have successful lives. I've told people that smoke...look to your left and right as you pass the joint and think about what those people do for a living and if their lives would be considered a success.

As it's been said...some are...but I would guess that most pot smokers aren't successful in life.
I can't recall a "successful" pot smoker I've arrested in my last 8 years. They have all been jobless or working minimum wage, criminals with plenty of arrest history, kids who's arrest was their first, people on gov't assistance (and yes, I had to search wallets, I it's pretty damn easy to prove this), or something very similar. I can't say I've ever gone to the middle class house and arrested mom or dad for possession nor have arrested one of them from their car for smoking weed. Can't recall a single arrest...

Quote:
Pulling out the case law. I love it. For a terry frisk (or as you said terry pat) I can only frisk for weapons for my safety so if I felt a baggy in their pocket or anything I could only ask him what it is. He can say a bag of candy and that would be the end of it. Even if I was sure it was dope. Unless I saw him put it there then it's forbidden territory.

You are right with probable cause and reasonable belief. I need probably cause to search a vehicle. Even with reasonable belief I can not search anything. I can however frisk for weapons just for my safety with just reasonable belief.
^^Yep...totality of the circumstances....due to my training and experience...
Quote:

When you do the type of stuff we do every single day, day in, day out, it's pretty d@mn easy to pick up on these types of folks, situations, etc...and pretty darn easy to explain in reports.

Picked up two agg robbery suspects today. Can't go into detail, but a couple very bad people were taken off the street. Now...to go find the third tomorrow.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 02:45 AM   #68
Hammer St. James

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1LS
Quote:
Yup that last bit will work. Unfortunately, I've only been on for 7 months now...so I can't use that defense yet. I didn't need any type of reasonable belief or probable cause for this. I just got them to admit it lol. If they would have denied it then I would have let them go on with their work. If they didn't show signs of use. I also could see the bloodshot eyes and they had a tad of slowed speech. I am sure if I would have checked their eyes I could have got them on vertical nystagmus also. It was all quite obvious lol. It wasn't just the body spray. That just made a better, funnier story lol.

According to the NHTSA marijuana does not affect VGN:

DEC Category: Cannabis
DEC Profile: Horizontal gaze nystagmus not present; vertical gaze nystagmus not present; lack of convergence present; pupil size normal to dilated; reaction to light normal to slow; pulse rate elevated; blood pressure elevated; body temperature normal to elevated. Other characteristic indicators may include odor of marijuana in car or on subject’s breath, marijuana debris in mouth, green coating of tongue, bloodshot eyes, body and eyelid tremors, relaxed inhibitions, incomplete thought process, and poor performance on field sobriety tests.

http://www.nhtsa.gov/people/injury/r...s/cannabis.htm
I'm a rebel. I will not allow anyone to dictate what I do, when I do it, or who I do it with. I feel sorry for those that choose to compromise their goals, dreams, needs, and desires to appease the control of another. I believe in freedom. I am an American.
-HSJ
Hammer St. James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 03:01 AM   #69
Hammer St. James

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1LS
[QUOTE=TAG UR IT;5269510 I can't recall a "successful" pot smoker I've arrested in my last 8 years. They have all been jobless or working minimum wage, criminals with plenty of arrest history, kids who's arrest was their first, people on gov't assistance (and yes, I had to search wallets, I it's pretty damn easy to prove this), or something very similar. I can't say I've ever gone to the middle class house and arrested mom or dad for possession nor have arrested one of them from their car for smoking weed. Can't recall a single arrest...[/QUOTE]

Well, I'm here to tell ya that reefer smokers are in all walks of life, much like alcoholics and prescription drug abusers; from the bum on the street to suburban moms to multi-millionaire pro athletes to caring medical professionals to attorneys and I personally know 3 cops that smoke. Even Clinton and W confessed to puffin'. Also, the highley succesful billionaire businessman and philanthropist Peter B. Lewis is a toker. I can go on but I think you get my drift
I'm a rebel. I will not allow anyone to dictate what I do, when I do it, or who I do it with. I feel sorry for those that choose to compromise their goals, dreams, needs, and desires to appease the control of another. I believe in freedom. I am an American.
-HSJ
Hammer St. James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 04:05 AM   #70
solobaric

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Dallas View Post
Obviously, the carpet really tied the room together.

They peed on your rug Dude!!

I lost it when I read your post.