Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Regional Sections > USA - NY / NJ / PA

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-28-2023, 09:13 PM   #1
Junior2377

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
NJ DMV inspection W/catless headers

Where has everyone gone to get inspected after removing stock cats?
Junior2377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023, 04:29 AM   #2
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
If anyone knew they prob wouldn’t post it here.

Most go through inspection with cats. They have cameras under the car. Doesn’t sound like that would be a good idea
Old 12-07-2023, 12:14 AM   #3
MiroLagy

Drives: Camaro 6
I totally understand the struggle of trying to get a DMV inspection after making modifications to your car, especially when it comes to something like catless headers. It can be a bit of a challenge to find a place that's understanding of these changes.
One helpful resource I came across is the DMV list https://dmvlist.com/. It's a platform that can provide you with valuable information about DMV inspection centers and related regulations. Plus, you might find some discussions or tips from fellow car enthusiasts who've been in a similar situation.td {border: 1px solid #cccccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}
MiroLagy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 02:11 PM   #4
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
I live in NJ and have gone through many inspections. This system has undergone a radical downgrading in the last 10 years, meaning they don't do much. They do a document check (license, reg, valid insurance) and an OBD hookup. Basically they are scanning for emission codes. Needless to say, if you have an illuminated CEL you fail. No tailpipe sniffer is used.
All the safety stuff they used to do like tires and skid pad for braking is now "owner responsibility."
I cannot remember if they still do the visual (at my station they use a mirror mounted on a stick) undercar inspection as a matter of routine. I think that has been discontinued and is not mentioned in the current FAQ:
https://www.nj.gov/mvc/pdf/inspectio...inspection.pdf

I had my 2SS inspected last year. After the kid did the OBD hookup and popped on the new sticker he told me I should get a louder exhaust. That was my inspection.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 07:35 PM   #5
RotoRocker

Drives: 2019 2SS 1LE
I did not have any mirrors at all last time. It's become a joke to just go through the motions. As long as your OBD2 port isnt reporting anything wrong, you should pass.
RotoRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 11:58 PM   #6
Junior2377

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotoRocker View Post
I did not have any mirrors at all last time. It's become a joke to just go through the motions. As long as your OBD2 port isnt reporting anything wrong, you should pass.
You are 100% correct. I ended up going and passing. Good for another 2 years.
Junior2377 is offline   Reply With Quote