Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-22-2023, 07:27 AM   #1
TooleyOnDeck
Tooley

Drives: '18 2SS 1LE
Head Unit Display Issue - Dealer Apparently Stumped

I recently acquired my 2018 2SS 1LE and started having an issue with the head unit where it will flicker a red, grid-like, staticky pattern across the screen at random. It usually starts randomly and lasts until you turn the car off.

I brought it to the dealership and made a warranty claim. Dealer determined it was the display screen, so they ordered a new one. 2 weeks later, I got the new screen installed and the instant I sat in the car I saw the flickering red gridlines! Needless to say I was pretty pissed, so I left it running and went and got my service rep and showed him. He went and got their tech who had done the screen swap and he was stumped. He pulled some OBD2 reading and said they needed to consult with GM on it. I told them just order me a new complete head unit and check all the wiring in the radio harness. But, what do I know, I’m just a consumer right?

Am I the only person who has experienced this issue?

Name:  IMG_2263.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  159.5 KB

Name:  IMG_2319.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  116.5 KB

2015 Camaro 1SS/RS | Black | FBO, Tuned (SOLD)
TooleyOnDeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2023, 02:59 AM   #2
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
so they installed it and didn't turn it on to see if their replacement fixed the issue and you had to show them? or did you install it?

either way it is unlikely a cable. this is digital, so it's an all or nothing thing... not like a loose connection can do this.. since you are obviously still getting clean signal to see the tiles.

i think the hmi unit is bad. this is what sends the data to the display.

never heard of this behaviour though. usually what happens is the screen blacks out due to either bad display or bad hmi.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2023, 07:29 PM   #3
TooleyOnDeck
Tooley

Drives: '18 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
so they installed it and didn't turn it on to see if their replacement fixed the issue and you had to show them? or did you install it?
They replaced the display screen only and correct, they obviously didn’t test it after replacement. I asked before they even ordered the new display if they could just replace the entire head unit and that was what they were supposed to have done. Now they’ve wasted my time and I’m still driving around with the issue. It is going on a month now since I initiated my claim.

2015 Camaro 1SS/RS | Black | FBO, Tuned (SOLD)
TooleyOnDeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2023, 08:30 PM   #4
cengell

Drives: 2017 2LT Garnet Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post

either way it is unlikely a cable. this is digital, so it's an all or nothing thing... not like a loose connection can do this.. since you are obviously still getting clean signal to see the tiles.

i think the hmi unit is bad. this is what sends the data to the display.

never heard of this behaviour though. usually what happens is the screen blacks out due to either bad display or bad hmi.
Hi all, I have a 2017 Convertible 2LT loaded and about a week ago the stock battery I think died and I did recharge it and got it recharged over night and showed recharged but when I went to start the car it just clicked and would not start, so i'm thinking the AGM cells are bad and would hold current. So I went out and get a replacement battery and after I got it installed and went to start it clicked again but on the second try it started but the working radio display was black. I read and removed the Neg lead and let it sit for a few hours and reconnected same result black screen but I could hear the music and control it from the steering wheel. When after pulling a few fuses 1 in the front and the display fuse 16 in trunk and CB2 no change.

So I connected my obd2 reader and found these codes.
BO97B-02 BMC-BODY CONTROL MODULE (Power mode start switch circuit short to ground.
B1395-03 BMC (Control output 1circuit - low voltage
B3110-00 BMC (Keyless entry transmitter 2 battery)
B3600-03 BMC (passenger compartment dimming request signal circuit low voltage.
C0277-06 BMC (Break pedal position sensor circuit low voltage /open

and more. So my thinking after reading cellsafemode comment above is dead radio unit or HMI is bad. So I ordered a used radio unit as it's much cheaper to test is it's the radio fixes it's it, if the used unit does not work then it would be the HMI which is about $1k?

Any suggestions PLEASE... Thank you for any links or post.

Christopher

P.S Oh forgot when I start the car in about 10 minuets later the music stops and lockups up so steering control won't work. When I part for a few hours it works again for about 10 min. I am using a NAV-TV GM660 to take the signals to external amps and speakers.

Last edited by cengell; 09-30-2023 at 08:43 PM.
cengell is offline   Reply With Quote