Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

Bigwormgraphix

Old 09-04-2023, 10:55 AM   #1
Val Walkinshaw
L8ap3x

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE
Android auto screen freeze across platforms

Happy Labor day fam!

Been having this issue for over 9 months. Appears to happen in both of my GM vehicles(21 Trailblazer and 18 Camaro) no matter the type of connection . Camaro is wired and also has AA wireless. TB is wireless. Have had 4 phones (Pixel 4a, replacement 4a, 6a, Pixel Fold). Android auto works accordingly for a few minutes and then the screen freezes up and is unresponsive to touch. Usually I go into airplane mode or kill BT, once the connection is re-established AA works fine. May or may not happen again 30-60 mins later. Not a deal breaker but can be annoying. Noticeably worse and more common system freezes with wired AA in the Camaro. Tried upgrading to Anker USB 3.0 w/5Gbps transfer speed as recommended here without success. Hence why I went with AA wireless when it was offered through Kickstarter.

The common denominators here appears to be AA and or the Pixel lineup. Are Samsung users having this exact issue also?

On a side note turning off AA in IO6 did appear to initially help but Ember1205 brought up a good point that once Android auto is re-selected via projection, it may toggle AA back on in the system. Initially I disagreed but he is in fact correct.

2018 2SS 1LE HBM 6M
Val Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2023, 12:46 PM   #2
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
I have a 2018 2SS, and this never happens with my Samsung phones, not even once. These are older phones, S10e and S10 with Android 12, so they fit on the wireless charging pad and I never plug them in.

What struck me is that this happens to you on a wired connection as well, which rules out the AAWireless device. Since you already tried a different USB cable, this leaves two options beside the Pixel units, the USB port itself or the car's software.

Mine is definitely on the latest software, the head unit was updated at the dealership in late 2018 or maybe early 2019, then regularly checked afterwards until 2021, at which point I finally made peace with the fact that GM would no longer provide anything for the 2.5 infotainment platform, map updates have been coming from a 3rd party anyway.

As to the port, years ago I upgraded to a Silverado receptacle that has a micro SD card slot, 2 USB-A ports and an aux port, and it works very well, its part number is 22990883. Just in case you want to give this a try.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2023, 01:25 PM   #3
Val Walkinshaw
L8ap3x

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
I have a 2018 2SS, and this never happens with my Samsung phones, not even once. These are older phones, S10e and S10 with Android 12, so they fit on the wireless charging pad and I never plug them in.

What struck me is that this happens to you on a wired connection as well, which rules out the AAWireless device. Since you already tried a different USB cable, this leaves two options beside the Pixel units, the USB port itself or the car's software.

Mine is definitely on the latest software, the head unit was updated at the dealership in late 2018 or maybe early 2019, then regularly checked afterwards until 2021, at which point I finally made peace with the fact that GM would no longer provide anything for the 2.5 infotainment platform, map updates have been coming from a 3rd party anyway.

As to the port, years ago I upgraded to a Silverado receptacle that has a micro SD card slot, 2 USB-A ports and an aux port, and it works very well, its part number is 22990883. Just in case you want to give this a try.

It happens in the 21 Trailblazer as well. Which is wireless.
I'm beginning to think it's a pixel problem. Pixels received the newest Android updates before any other manufacturer does so I'm fairly confident that it's not a software issue and being that it's in both vehicles I don't think it's an infotainment issue.

2018 2SS 1LE HBM 6M
Old 09-04-2023, 03:11 PM   #4
Anjilslaire

Drives: 2021 3LT RS A10
I've got a pixel 4a+5g on it every day with built in wireless, and a pixel 6 pro periodically. No issues. Wish I could help!
Anjilslaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2023, 09:17 PM   #5
DamonZ28

Drives: 2020 Camaro 2SS
No issues with my Samsung S20+.
RUXIFEY Smoked LED Side Marker Lights / Black SS emblem on rear bumper / Blue SS vinyl overlay on front bumper emblem / Wildhammer Rear Dark Reflectors / Trim Illusion Gloss Black Door Handle Covers / eBay Black Fuel Door / Screaming Chicken Fender Hash Marks / Color-Matched G2 Caliper Paint
RE Audio RFX10D4 10" Sub / Hand-made sub enclosure / Hifonics Zeus ZRX1200.1D amp / JL Audio LoC-22 line output converter / Sub Thump Plug N Play T-Harness With ANC Defeat Harness Kit

My Camaro Journal
DamonZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2023, 07:11 AM   #6
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Had the Pixel 6 Pro and now the Pixel 7 Pro... never had this issue via wired or Carsifi in the Camaro.

I don't add apps to the AA system... not sure if you've added or not.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2023, 10:10 AM   #7
79 TransAm that never was

Drives: 2023 Camaro LT1 6.2 MT6
Not surprised

I've had issues with every GM car or truck I've owned or leased since GM came out with "Android Auto" software in their navigation systems. I have an older Android phone and my wife has a new one. Both work the same...they work sporadically whether using blue tooth, or the USB hookup. One time they connect, another time you can't get them to connect no matter how hard you try. I'm at the point now that I expect it not to work and when it does I'll use it. Otherwise I just use my phone. I've concluded that the poor AA connectivity has to be a GM software problem, and not my phones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Val Walkinshaw View Post
Happy Labor day fam!

Been having this issue for over 9 months. Appears to happen in both of my GM vehicles(21 Trailblazer and 18 Camaro) no matter the type of connection . Camaro is wired and also has AA wireless. TB is wireless. Have had 4 phones (Pixel 4a, replacement 4a, 6a, Pixel Fold). Android auto works accordingly for a few minutes and then the screen freezes up and is unresponsive to touch. Usually I go into airplane mode or kill BT, once the connection is re-established AA works fine. May or may not happen again 30-60 mins later. Not a deal breaker but can be annoying. Noticeably worse and more common system freezes with wired AA in the Camaro. Tried upgrading to Anker USB 3.0 w/5Gbps transfer speed as recommended here without success. Hence why I went with AA wireless when it was offered through Kickstarter.

The common denominators here appears to be AA and or the Pixel lineup. Are Samsung users having this exact issue also?

On a side note turning off AA in IO6 did appear to initially help but Ember1205 brought up a good point that once Android auto is re-selected via projection, it may toggle AA back on in the system. Initially I disagreed but he is in fact correct.
79 TransAm that never was is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2023, 04:19 AM   #8
Val Walkinshaw
L8ap3x

Fwiw I uninstalled AA. Cleared the storage and cache. Reinstalled. Does appear to be less glitchy.

2018 2SS 1LE HBM 6M
Old 09-12-2023, 03:41 AM   #9
SOFO

Drives: Camaro Fifty
I have the same issues with both phones and also other car brands. It seems to me that it started with Android Auto 9.x. Before I never had this issue.

I guess it is a Google problem...
SOFO is offline   Reply With Quote