Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 12-23-2019, 08:13 PM   #1
Kerry

Drives: 2019 2SS Camaro
Limp Mode for meth injection

So I put a meth kit on my procharger ss. It has a light for when it has pressure but its hard to see watching the road and all. I was thinking of something more automatic in case something happens to the injection.
So I though of useing the aem fail safe that measures flow that sends either a ground or 12 volts out when it senses low flow. i can mod that out put to what ever it needs to be 5volt ect.
It would be cool if I could tap into a sensor that would put the car in limp mode ie save the motor if the system fails.
I dont know what sensor would do this thats 1 easy to get to or maybe a fuse disconect that would do it.
Any input appericated.

Also it has 2 nozzles a 10 and a 15 so it relies alot on the methanol for fuel. I wonder if the system quit it would just fall on its face from being so lean?
Thanks everyone all input welcome.
Kerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 08:09 AM   #2
Dysan911

Drives: 2017 50th Anniversary 2SS
This is likely the biggest drawback of a Meth setup for Fuel. If this fails and it goes lean it will not just fall on its face. There would likely be severe detonation and possible engine damage.

I am not sure what Mods you have but maybe dial the power down to run safely on just pump gas / timing and invest in some fuel mods for peace of mind. The Meth setup for cooling IAT's would be a good use for it but with the Procharger you're already running pretty low IAT's to begin with and I would look at running E85 over meth personally.

Good luck with it!
Former Ride: 17 Camaro 2SS, M6 - Fifty | Procharger P1SC | 3.7 Pulley | Stage 2 IC | Race Bypass | DSX FF Kit | JRE Custom E85 Flex Fuel Tune | LT4 Fuel System | JMS Voltage Booster | MSD Plug Wires | American Racing 1-7/8's LT Headers Full System Catback | Baro Breakout Harness | LT4 Map Sensor | Katech Ported TB | MMS Oil Catch Can | 160 Thermo | Solo Performance J-Pipes

Dysan911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 08:22 AM   #3
parish8

Drives: 17 SS a8
There are some ways to do this. Often people break out their iat sensor and put it down stream of the meth injector. Then you can adjust timing based on iat’s. If it gets too high(no meth) pull a pile of timing.

Another more drastic method is use that output to control a pair of relays and cut coil power when it activates. I had something like this but based on a wideband and boost level and it activated a couple of times which saved me. I have a stand beside ecm so I have a lot of options. Now i have the stand beside ecm running the timing and it has built in features to cut timing based on fuel pressure, a/f, over boost...
Old 12-24-2019, 10:01 AM   #4
Charlie540i

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
The way I've done it is to make the car so dependent on meth that it will fall right on its face when there's no meth injecting. Kinda lean breaks stuff, extremely lean just doesn't have the means to produce power.

I'm not preaching or saying this is the correct way, this is just a way that have worked for me since 2014. Obviously it's way better to have the correct fuel system (like my car now), but I have cars like this since those early days and they're still running around and still alive.
Charlie540i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 10:40 AM   #5
parish8

^^ that seems like an awful idea.
Old 12-25-2019, 08:48 AM   #6
Omega

Drives: G8
I looked into that gauge and it didn't get very many good reviews for long term install. The sensor gives out and it's expensive to replace.

Which kit do you have?

You can always install multiple or bigger/brighter LEDs

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 10:15 PM   #7
Kerry

So deep dive looks like some are useing a signal genarator to trigger pin 38 on the ecu to force to e85 tables. ordered the little generator and gonna try that out.
Old 12-28-2019, 06:44 AM   #8
Omega

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry View Post
So deep dive looks like some are useing a signal genarator to trigger pin 38 on the ecu to force to e85 tables. ordered the little generator and gonna try that out.
That sounds interesting, can you post a link?

Old 12-28-2019, 07:19 AM   #9
grampa_ss

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
I do like some others, pull a ton timing based on IATs.
Old 12-28-2019, 10:50 AM   #10
Omega

Something like this I presume

https://www.ctsvowners.com/threads/d...ailsafe.49777/

Old 12-28-2019, 05:02 PM   #11
Kerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega View Post
Something like this I presume

https://www.ctsvowners.com/threads/d...ailsafe.49777/

Exactly. The gen will be here tommorrow. I will be doing some testing with the log to see if it works and how quick. temp is just to slow, I think maybe. I guessatmate im running about 20% or so meth fuel on top. or 20% less gas. I am again guessing that if the meth quits it will just fall flat on its face.somewhere about 2.5 or 3 afr lean on gas im guessing.
Old 12-28-2019, 05:04 PM   #12
Kerry

Hmm that could put me 15.5 or so wo. That could be very bad I would rather see 18 or more afr wo no meth. Probly would not run at all that lean. Comments? Anyone.
Old 12-28-2019, 09:51 PM   #13
parish8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry View Post
Hmm that could put me 15.5 or so wo. That could be very bad I would rather see 18 or more afr wo no meth. Probly would not run at all that lean. Comments? Anyone.
I think it would still run and blow up.

I don't really like these ideas. if your just using the power input to trigger the meth safety your not going to catch all kinds of other potential issues like a clogged nozzle or running out of meth or a bad pump. if you loose power to the pump and the safety kicks in using the flex fuel input to put fuel back in it might help but your not getting the octane. besides that lots of people use the meth to make up for a fuel system that is a little too small so there may not be any fuel to put back in.

if it were mine

1) go e85 and never look back. it is awesome!
2) cant do e85? then do the relocated iat sensor, without meth the iats go up fast and it will likely catch a problem
3) max effort safety would be a wideband output triggering a voltage switch at a preset a/f(let say 13/1), then feed that signal through a boost switch so it only triggers when over a preset boost level(lets say 3psi) and use that final output to trigger something like coil cut. it will be a hard cut and very obvious that you need to look at your logs. so above 3psi and above 13/1 a/f and it will shut the car off.