Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 02-11-2019, 01:00 PM   #71
cignul9

Drives: 50th 2SS MRC A8 NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
Yeah I know that's the current trend, but to me that's going to make today's cars look dated real quick; kind of like fins did to the cars of the 50's and early 60's. I somewhat have that in the front with the friendly Camaro 'smile' and the headlights kinda sorta look like eyes, but I don't want to go overboard.

I was trying to pull styling cues from previous generations without making it look too retro. This split lens tail light was a nod to the original '67 model to give it a bit of a heritage feel. Here's a shot with the lenses pulled together as a single component which is actually the way the '67 was. Better?
I get you. I think you're on to something here, and I love the work you're putting in. Design by committee generally doesn't work, but I appreciate that you're accepting feedback.

The tail lights definitely look better (to me) when you pull the lenses together as opposed to the split look from earlier iteration. I feel like the orange is a bit dated, too. Maybe go solid red on both with a thin break between them, like the '67?

I'd maybe drop the reverse lights as well, similar to the 67. Maybe a center pod under the license plate in the rear splitter? I can't really visualize it in my head, though. May look terrible.
50th 2SS, MRC, NPP, 8A, #991
Join the Club F1FTY Registry!
Add yourself to the registry here.
Read the registry here.
cignul9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 02:33 PM   #72
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by cignul9 View Post
I get you. I think you're on to something here, and I love the work you're putting in. Design by committee generally doesn't work, but I appreciate that you're accepting feedback.

The tail lights definitely look better (to me) when you pull the lenses together as opposed to the split look from earlier iteration. I feel like the orange is a bit dated, too. Maybe go solid red on both with a thin break between them, like the '67?

I'd maybe drop the reverse lights as well, similar to the 67. Maybe a center pod under the license plate in the rear splitter? I can't really visualize it in my head, though. May look terrible.
Here are some variations, all using a single solid red tail light lens:

One with a split orange turn signal/back-up light lens.
Name:  Pony Car Concept R5a 2019-alt1.png
Views: 266
Size:  423.9 KB

One with the back-up lens being just the orange turn signal, and I can put a back up light somewhere else; probably on either side of the license plate.
Name:  Pony Car Concept R5a 2019-alt2.png
Views: 263
Size:  423.8 KB

And one with the back-up lens having a double-duty function; either a back-up light or orange turn signal depending on which row of LED's inside are used.
Name:  Pony Car Concept R5a 2019-alt3.png
Views: 261
Size:  415.3 KB

Any of these work for you?

Oh and for Norm; these all have wider tires.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 02:36 PM   #73
cignul9

Drives: 50th 2SS MRC A8 NPP
I for sure like the bottom one best!
50th 2SS, MRC, NPP, 8A, #991
Join the Club F1FTY Registry!
Add yourself to the registry here.
Read the registry here.
cignul9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 04:43 PM   #74
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
Oh and for Norm; these all have wider tires.

Norm
Old 02-11-2019, 05:34 PM   #75

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Doc, pretty sure rear turn signals cannot be orange. White or orange are ok for front turn signals, rear turn signals must be red.

Also, you need a third/middle rear red brake light. And side markers need to be orange in front and red in the rear, not orange rear side-markers.

Last edited by 90503; 02-11-2019 at 06:54 PM.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 07:52 PM   #76
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
Doc, pretty sure rear turn signals cannot be orange. White or orange are ok for front turn signals, rear turn signals must be red.

Also, you need a third/middle rear red brake light. And side markers need to be orange in front and red in the rear, not orange rear side-markers.
I believe you are correct sir about the outside rear turn signal; I've made it red. I forgot about that, since it's on at night as a running light, it has to be red. However the inside rear turn signal can be orange as long as it's only on when it's flashing. I think that's strictly up to the designers and how they want to design their tail light setup. The europeans have long had amber turn signals in the back which I've always preferred; red in the back should be braking only.

Here's a pic of a 2016 Camry which shows a clear lens and an orange bulb inside. I see this arrangement more often than an orange lens.

Name:  2016 Camry.jpeg
Views: 208
Size:  80.8 KB

I've had this idea for a long time, so here it is with the 3rd brake light in the back of the shark fin on the roof. I don't know if there's a requirement on size of the light; I see many different sizes on cars from a small rectangle to a much bigger one. This image also has the corrected red outside rear fender running/turn light.

Name:  Pony Car Concept R5a 2019-alt3-0.png
Views: 267
Size:  425.9 KB

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 02-12-2019, 03:42 AM   #77
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Latest images. Finally fixed a problem with the side of the roof on the sides of the car, and added welding seams on the roof. The roof now smoothly curves on the sides like it should.

Name:  Pony Car Concept R5a 2019-alt3-1.png
Views: 265
Size:  417.1 KB

Here's a shot with the front license plate:

Name:  Pony Car Concept R5a 2019-alt3-2.png
Views: 246
Size:  463.1 KB

and one without the front license plate:

Name:  Pony Car Concept R5a 2019-alt3-3.png
Views: 278
Size:  452.6 KB

Still haven't figured out what I'm going to do with the hood, but for now I think I'll start working on an interior.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 02-14-2019, 09:33 PM   #78
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Well after I started working on the interior, I kept noticing things I wanted to change on the exterior, so I stopped on the interior and started making changes. Wound up reworking the entire side of the car, including some changes in width of the front. By the time I was done, I was surprised at how much it changed the character and personality of the car.

Name:  Pony Car Concept R6 2019-1.png
Views: 212
Size:  499.0 KB
Name:  Pony Car Concept R6 2019-2.png
Views: 231
Size:  455.7 KB

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 02-15-2019, 07:07 PM   #79
CCG Garnet Red

Drives: 2017 RS Garnet Red Tintcoat A8
JMO, but the front end is hideous. From the side it reminds me of the shape of a long gone Suburu coupe that a friend had in the '70's.
CCG Garnet Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 02:45 AM   #80
RenegadeXR

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
What about something like this? It keeps a bigger greenhouse and most of the proportions but brings back some of the 6th gen refresh styling, since that might be a basis for the 7th gen if there is one.

Old 02-16-2019, 03:22 AM   #81
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenegadeXR View Post
What about something like this? It keeps a bigger greenhouse and most of the proportions but brings back some of the 6th gen refresh styling, since that might be a basis for the 7th gen if there is one.

That has some possibilities; especially the front. Nice.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 02-16-2019, 03:28 AM   #82
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCG Garnet Red View Post
JMO, but the front end is hideous. From the side it reminds me of the shape of a long gone Suburu coupe that a friend had in the '70's.
Alrighty then! Thanks for the encouragement. It's good to see that positive and constructive feedback is alive and well on the forum. On that positive note, here's the latest hideous update.

I raised the entire top of the car from the windshield forward about 4 inches. Been working on rounding and smoothing things out. I was already considering getting rid of the retro grill. The only way to get away from retro is to not do retro. I reworked the headlights and worked on trying to balance the proportions better. It still needs work, but it's getting there.

Name:  Pony Car Concept R6b 2019-0.png
Views: 641
Size:  436.4 KB

I also made some changes to the back. It needed some flair so I pulled the top part of it back to create a sense of a spoiler.

Name:  Pony Car Concept R6b 2019-1.png
Views: 609
Size:  431.6 KB

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 02-16-2019, 07:13 AM   #83
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
The trunk area is definitely getting a "lighter" feel, like the originals had. Nice.

That's a good thing in this day and age where everything looks like it wants to be bulky/thick-bodied. Thick-body may be a fine look for a truck, but car styling should be lighter and more graceful.

Norm
Old 02-16-2019, 11:45 AM   #84

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Keep at it, Doc. I liked the ridge/step/toggle that ran the length of the sides....I was going to suggest that would be a good spot for a trim strip at the furthest out-board line to absorb door dings from other cars....

Also, I like it having the front license plate. Maybe massage up the front plate area as if the car is made to have a front plate, instead of the terrible look of a front plate on the car that looks completely out of place....Just my $.02..

P.S. And in the trivia department, front plates don't need the year and month sticker...lol
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote