Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 04-02-2019, 03:07 PM   #1
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, Jeep JKU Rubicon
Data Plan 50% Price Hike? NOPE!

Am in the process of putting my SS back on the road now that the snow is gone and the rain is washing away the salt. I like to run the WiFi hot spot during those months that the car is on the road. It lets my passenger text and whatnot without hitting her cell data.

I had been running the $10/month (I think it was for up to 1 GB) plan for the last two years, so was going to start it up again. $10/month is a marginal value, but what the heck. So, I go online to the my.chevrolet site, log in and can't find anything cheaper than 2GB for $15/month. So, I get on the site chat and sure enough, they eliminated the $10 plan. I asked her to please relay up the line that raising the basic plan price by 50% lost a customer. NFW am I paying $15/month for something I barely use. Jerks.

I urge you all to try to sign up for the $10 plan and then express disgust that it no longer exists.
Old 04-02-2019, 03:11 PM   #2
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
Am in the process of putting my SS back on the road now that the snow is gone and the rain is washing away the salt. I like to run the WiFi hot spot during those months that the car is on the road. It lets my passenger text and whatnot without hitting her cell data.

I had been running the $10/month (I think it was for up to 1 GB) plan for the last two years, so was going to start it up again. $10/month is a marginal value, but what the heck. So, I go online to the my.chevrolet site, log in and can't find anything cheaper than 2GB for $15/month. So, I get on the site chat and sure enough, they eliminated the $10 plan. I asked her to please relay up the line that raising the basic plan price by 50% lost a customer. NFW am I paying $15/month for something I barely use. Jerks.

I urge you all to try to sign up for the $10 plan and then express disgust that it no longer exists.
Something not adding up here.

AT&T offers a Unlimited Data for like $20 a month. I was on it. I personally prefer to user my phone's mobile hotspot over the mylink stuff though.
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 03:13 PM   #3
Tyl3r

Drives: Camaro 2LT
I split a cell-phone plan with one other person on the T-Mobile network with unlimited data (including mobile hotspot), calls, and text for $35 a person. Why buy data at all?
Tyl3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 03:15 PM   #4
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Something not adding up here.

AT&T offers a Unlimited Data for like $20 a month. I was on it. I personally prefer to user my phone's mobile hotspot over the mylink stuff though.
If you buy the data plan for the car you can get unlimited for $25/month. Or, you can get 2GB for $15/month.

They also have expensive annual plans, but my car is only on the road from about April to October, so an annual plan makes no sense for me.
Old 04-02-2019, 03:32 PM   #5
Raptor Jesus
Banned

Drives: Camaro
Unless you have a kid or someone using a ipad or something to watch movies, it's pointless in Camaro. Most every phone has unlimited data now. Now in a minivan with kids, it would be a decent option to keep the brats pacified.
Raptor Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 03:33 PM   #6
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
lol people pay for that? i still feel like a sucker paying for onstar and aaa and will probably get rid of onstar but the monthly emails and theft protection plan are nice to have
Old 04-02-2019, 03:38 PM   #7
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor Jesus View Post
Unless you have a kid or someone using a ipad or something to watch movies, it's pointless in Camaro. Most every phone has unlimited data now. Now in a minivan with kids, it would be a decent option to keep the brats pacified.
Not everyone has a phone plan with unlimited data.

Being a bit of an IT geek, I enjoy having and offering a wireless network enabled. But, I don't like it so much that I'll pay the new rate.
Old 04-02-2019, 04:22 PM   #8
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
lol people pay for that? i still feel like a sucker paying for onstar and aaa and will probably get rid of onstar but the monthly emails and theft protection plan are nice to have
Onstar is surprisingly useful and I continue to pay for it for peace of mind if an issue were to ever occur (break down, car broken into / stolen, lost and need directions my phone / AA can't give me very easily.)

That and I like being able to remote crank / lock my vehicle with my phone.

Quote:
Not everyone has a phone plan with unlimited data.

Being a bit of an IT geek, I enjoy having and offering a wireless network enabled. But, I don't like it so much that I'll pay the new rate.
I'm an IT geek as well but... ...in general the wireless network thing is kind of a waste of money unless through some odd circumstance you need it. I only activated mine for a month because I was out of area and T-Mobile didn't offer very good coverage where I went at the time and I still needed Data.

otherwise, if your phone plan has unlimited data, its no point in adding the mobile hotspot to your car.
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 05:31 PM   #9
karmatourer
STD free

Drives: 2018 Bright Yellow LGX M6 RS NPP
Who doesn't have unlimited data these days?
karmatourer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 05:41 PM   #10
z28pat

Drives: 2002 z28, 2018 2ss 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
I havent looked into it yet, but how much I is the on star ?
Thanks
z28pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 06:54 PM   #11
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmatourer View Post
Who doesn't have unlimited data these days?
Well, neither me nor my girlfriend have unlimited data because it would be a big bump in our bills. And, since we are the two most frequent occupants of my Camaro...
Old 04-02-2019, 08:06 PM   #12
Scraps0f

Drives: 2018 NGM ZL1
How much data does your phone company give ya'll for $10? Surely it has to be more than 1gb.
Scraps0f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 08:13 PM   #13
Homer2

Drives: 50th Anni.. coming home 11/01
I have the $10 plan - had it for two years now. I don't have a phone plan for the US but take three long roadtrips a year.. wifi allows for phone surfing when needed to check stuff. Paid off easy.
Built Sept 16/2016 - #2681 of 5955. She came home with me 11/01/16. 50th Anni, 2SS, A8, NPP, NGM Rock Guards, Footwell Lighting, Black Bow Ties, Street Warrior Rotors and Pads, Ceramic Pro, 3M PPF, Oracle Ghosted Side Markers, Kooks 2" headers w/hi flow cats. GPI Stage 1 Cam installed at 305,000 kms.
Homer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 08:45 PM   #14
1fujifilm

Drives: 2019 Mustang GT Convertible
Quote:

I just recommishioned for summer and bought 1G for $10 plus tax for $10.50, signed up through the Chev app.

Bear
1fujifilm is offline   Reply With Quote