#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-23-2017, 11:47 AM   #1
Nate...

Drives: 2016 Camaro LTG
SS Brakes and Track Deflectors on 1LT and 18" Wheels

Hi all,
Wanted to share some of my experience with putting SS 4 piston Brembos on my 1LT car.
Simply put, they went on without issue. No drama, and to my surprise the dust shields seemed to be identical part numbers. But, the dust shields didn't matter so much because I also purchase a set of the SS track brake deflectors and dust shield from a local forum member who wasn't planning to use them.

EVERYTHING fit on the 1LT AND THE 18" WHEELS! I run 20" wheels usually so this wasn't a deal breaker but I was very pleasantly surprised when the deflectors and the brake hardware fit under my 18" wheels.

Took the car to GingerMan Raceway last weekend and the brakes were great. ABS worked just fine, nothing strange. Car was great! Here is a picture.
Attached Images

Old 05-23-2017, 12:07 PM   #2
1970judge

Drives: 2015 Z/28, 2007 HHR
Very cool! Did you get any track footage from a go-pro or the like?

A few of us from the proving grounds were supposed to go run but one backed out because of the weather and his slicks, and I had forgotten it was my anniversary weekend

Hopefully going out there this summer though for the next event! Hope to see you out. Whereabouts in MI are you?
1970judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 12:25 PM   #3
Nate...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970judge View Post
Very cool! Did you get any track footage from a go-pro or the like?

A few of us from the proving grounds were supposed to go run but one backed out because of the weather and his slicks, and I had forgotten it was my anniversary weekend

Hopefully going out there this summer though for the next event! Hope to see you out. Whereabouts in MI are you?
I do not have any from the Camaro. There is some from my friend's GTO that was with us. I plan to get some footage when I return this coming Saturday.

An anniversary is important to remember! Haha
Old 05-30-2017, 05:23 AM   #4
Corner carver

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T RS
Did you make the rears work Nate, or just swapped the front over?
Installed Mods: 25% Window tint | Headlight, side marker and third brake light Phastek tint kit | GM black taillights with Gen5diy LED harness and bulbs | LED license plate bulbs | Gorilla lug nuts, black | GM 'performance' center caps | RS and sheild badges removed
Corner carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 08:26 AM   #5
Nate...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corner carver View Post
Did you make the rears work Nate, or just swapped the front over?
I did not make the rears work unfortunately. I think they will need a separate parking brake setup or just have no parking brake and I am not willing to make that compromise at this point.

The next challenge will be finding matching high quality brake pads for the front and the rear since the rears are still from an LT.
Old 05-31-2017, 01:07 PM   #6
EDFHOBBIES
Dyno Show Queen LOL

Drives: 16 SS & 17 ZL1 Both Yellow
Send a message via Skype™ to EDFHOBBIES
I just did the 6 piston kit.. so I have these laying around with the rotors, splash guards, and lines..

Kik TTcamaro2010
Attached Images

Kong Ported 2650, Crawford Racing Port Injection, Weapon X 112mm Adapter, NW112mm TB, Livernois Ported LT4 Heads, Lingenfelter GT32 stealth cam, Haltech Elite, and Carbon by Trufiber
EDFHOBBIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 06:09 PM   #7
Nate...

So now I am trying to figure out if there is any way to make the ducting on the LT car for this brake setup. The CRFM is "boxed" in by the ducting and the front grill on my 1LT (non-HD cooling package car). So I think I would need to do three things.... Open up the fender liner hole (where it is open on the SS), open up a hole in the grill, and then plumb a duct between the two.
The only one of those that I am hesitating about is the grill, I have no desire to cut into a perfectly fine front facia.
Any creative solutions?
(buy a 1LE or SS is not a creative solution BTW)

Maybe making the hole after the CRFM? The air would be hotter than ambient, but probably still a significant delta compared to the rotors when they are hot...
Old 06-04-2017, 06:51 PM   #8
PolynesianPowerhouse
Big Samoan ina little car

Drives: 2016 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate... View Post
So now I am trying to figure out if there is any way to make the ducting on the LT car for this brake setup. The CRFM is "boxed" in by the ducting and the front grill on my 1LT (non-HD cooling package car). So I think I would need to do three things.... Open up the fender liner hole (where it is open on the SS), open up a hole in the grill, and then plumb a duct between the two.
The only one of those that I am hesitating about is the grill, I have no desire to cut into a perfectly fine front facia.
Any creative solutions?
(buy a 1LE or SS is not a creative solution BTW)

Maybe making the hole after the CRFM? The air would be hotter than ambient, but probably still a significant delta compared to the rotors when they are hot...
I have the ducts as well only installed the rear section so far. Didnt have any of the push pin clips. I have the part number for the fender liner somewhere but it would be alot easier to just cut the stock one in my view.

If you have the gm performance 1le grille for the LT models, there are two playes to the outside of the grille. You can leave em open to airflow, or they rivet in. That can have a hole cut open and ducting run thru to the brakes.

Couple of options really. Im running the same brakes and 18 inch apex wheels. So ive been working on the same.

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
PolynesianPowerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 06:53 PM   #9
Nate...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolynesianPowerhouse View Post
I have the ducts as well only installed the rear section so far. Didnt have any of the push pin clips. I have the part number for the fender liner somewhere but it would be alot easier to just cut the stock one in my view.

If you have the gm performance 1le grille for the LT models, there are two playes to the outside of the grille. You can leave em open to airflow, or they rivet in. That can have a hole cut open and ducting run thru to the brakes.

Couple of options really. Im running the same brakes and 18 inch apex wheels. So ive been working on the same.
Nice option! The grill would be perfect to fix that. And I agree about cutting the liners being easier.
I really liked how well the 4-pistons fit inside the 18" wheels.
Old 06-04-2017, 07:55 PM   #10
EDFHOBBIES
Dyno Show Queen LOL

Drives: 16 SS & 17 ZL1 Both Yellow
Send a message via Skype™ to EDFHOBBIES
I just installed my old front brakes on a v6 camaro.. went very smooth. I was surprised that they used the same dust shield for the rotors and had no air deflectors on the A arms.. they did have the 3 holes predrilled. Anyone could easily get sheet metal to make some.. also not sure if the v6 has the smaller dust shield for the rotors for better cooling.

Kong Ported 2650, Crawford Racing Port Injection, Weapon X 112mm Adapter, NW112mm TB, Livernois Ported LT4 Heads, Lingenfelter GT32 stealth cam, Haltech Elite, and Carbon by Trufiber
EDFHOBBIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 07:56 PM   #11
PolynesianPowerhouse
Big Samoan ina little car

Drives: 2016 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate... View Post
Nice option! The grill would be perfect to fix that. And I agree about cutting the liners being easier.
I really liked how well the 4-pistons fit inside the 18" wheels.
Yea, def agree. Once i found out theyd fit, that saved me from doing another 2200$ brake kit for the 3rd car/time.

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
PolynesianPowerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote