Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers

AWE Tuning

Old 05-17-2016, 07:19 PM   #1
KINGAGB

Drives: '06 Silverado 2500HD
ANDROID AUTO or Pay $495 for myLink NAV?

I don't have an iphone and so I'm wondering if I can save the $495 for

"IO6 Chevrolet MyLink Radio with Navigation (aka apple car play) $495.00".

HOW DO YOU GUYS LIKE THE ANDROID AUTO for navigation / IS IT WORKING WELL FOR YOU?

Every dollar counts for the '17 fund, LoL
KINGAGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 07:22 PM   #2
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
From what I understand, both interfaces work quite well (I've only had experience with Apple Car Play)...but keep in mind when making this decision that the vehicle's Nav reception will be much stronger than a phone's if you end up driving in a remote area.

Disconnect the maps app once by mistake, and you might not get directions back until you regain cell service.

For me, this is a consideration. For you, it may not matter...I thought I'd share.
Old 05-17-2016, 07:34 PM   #3
BloodiedWraith

Drives: 2016 2SS
I went with the Nav option for a couple reasons, one of which is exactly as you said Mr. Wyndham. There are a lot of areas in Upstate NY where you often go through spotty cell service so that can be beneficial.

I haven't checked it on the 2016 but I know on my 2013 the navigation came up on the HUD which was awesome and far less distracting. I do know that on the 2016 that it shows the speed limit of the road I'm on which I like.

Just some extra info for you.
Old 05-18-2016, 08:49 AM   #4
crabman

Drives: Sniffin the tree.
You can now download the area you will be in for offline use in Google maps, not just a route, the area. The phone can calculate routes and give guidance using these downloaded maps just as if connected. Be aware that if you download large areas you will be looking at hundreds of megs, or even a gig or two if you download larger areas. I haven't had a car with Android Auto so I cant speak to that.
crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 11:02 AM   #5
mbar

Drives: 2016 1SS
I have 3 different car right now. All have navigation and I do not use it.
When I want to get directions to Walmart or whatever , I just type it on the phone and click go. Don't want to copy and paste the address to the nav system.
Old 05-18-2016, 12:38 PM   #6
crabman

Drives: Sniffin the tree.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbar View Post
When I want to get directions to Walmart or whatever , I just type it on the phone and click go. Don't want to copy and paste the address to the nav system.
You don't paste, it works natively in the car. Here is a short video demo and the nav portion is right near the beginning so you don't have to watch all of it. The reviews I've read on it seem to indicate that the Maps are one of the most compelling features of AA. Again I haven't owned it, that is my impression.

crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 12:55 PM   #7
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, Jeep JKU Rubicon
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbar View Post
On the Camaro, I don't even type it in. I speak and use my voice to tell the Nav where to go. Easy.
Old 05-18-2016, 01:24 PM   #8
Modshack

Drives: 2SS, Hyper Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
On the Camaro, I don't even type it in. I speak and use my voice to tell the Nav where to go. Easy.

Yup....Not being a factory Nav enthusiast, I'm actually pretty impressed with this system (it was on the stock car I bought). I likely wouldn't have ordered it after years of happy Garmin use, but I'm not disappointed. Now with google maps I have both. Win/Win in any and all conditions..