#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-14-2015, 09:02 PM   #15
Gforce8
WFO all the way

Drives: Hyper Blue 2SS, Kalahari, 6 speed
Great feedback on the brakes, thanks.
Off course they are OK for street, but I did have them get soft (pedal.. boiling fluid) within 3 laps at a track at 9/10th.
I just always regretted not upgrading to the CTS-V brakes with sixpiston and much improved "bite".
Even tried HAWK and Carbotech pads, that squeal like hell but did not help slow the car down as much as I'd hoped.
Not knocking the car. I LOVE my Camaro, just thinking the brakes should be six piston.
The car will be faster with more power and less weight.
But at least they have functional cooling ducts.. or so the press material says.
Remember.. if your brakes are working very well, you are not driving fast enough... lol
Old 06-15-2015, 10:19 AM   #16
whiteboyblues2001

Drives: 1SS, A8, MRC, NPP, Blade Spoiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gforce8 View Post
Great feedback on the brakes, thanks.
Off course they are OK for street, but I did have them get soft (pedal.. boiling fluid) within 3 laps at a track at 9/10th.
I just always regretted not upgrading to the CTS-V brakes with sixpiston and much improved "bite".
Even tried HAWK and Carbotech pads, that squeal like hell but did not help slow the car down as much as I'd hoped.
Not knocking the car. I LOVE my Camaro, just thinking the brakes should be six piston.
The car will be faster with more power and less weight.
But at least they have functional cooling ducts.. or so the press material says.
Remember.. if your brakes are working very well, you are not driving fast enough... lol
Did you try replacing/upgrading your brakefluid? Sounds like you might have had some water in the brake fluid.
whiteboyblues2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 08:03 PM   #17
Gforce8
WFO all the way

Drives: Hyper Blue 2SS, Kalahari, 6 speed
I replace brake fluid every spring completely with motul 660 just for that reason.
Good point though
Old 09-21-2015, 03:38 PM   #18
Bongos2U

Drives: Hopefully 6th gen Camaro
I'm not up to speed on how dealer installed options go. I will eventually be purchasing a 6th gen LT. Would like to get the optional Brembos.

Will the cost be upfront when the car is purchased ? Or does the dealer bill me for the labor involved for installation of the Brembos? Or does the dealer bill GM for the labor?
Bongos2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 04:18 PM   #19
laborsmith

Drives: 1969 Corvair, 2018 Camaro T4 RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongos2U View Post
I'm not up to speed on how dealer installed options go. I will eventually be purchasing a 6th gen LT. Would like to get the optional Brembos.

Will the cost be upfront when the car is purchased ? Or does the dealer bill me for the labor involved for installation of the Brembos? Or does the dealer bill GM for the labor?
If you order RPO WRS ($1950 MSRP) you can order the Heavy Duty Cooling and Braking Package for $485 which includes Brembo brakes. Also if you order the 2LT and the black rims ($800) you can get the same (Y4Q) package for the same $485. Or if you want the 1LT and do not want the WRS you can also order the Heavy Duty Cooling and Braking package for $1285 MSRP.

All the above is factory installed.

If none of the above appeals to you, please reply and I will go through how LPO orders are treated based on my experience. It is not as simple an answer as the above.

Laborsmith
laborsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 04:25 PM   #20
laborsmith

Quote:
Many order LPO (dealer installed options) in order to roll everything into one price for financing purposes. For some LPO orders installation is included in the price. For others not (and the order guide usually states installation not included if this is the case) in which case you can settle on an installation charge as part of the deal write up. GM is not billed in either case, at least as far as I have learned.

Laborsmith
Old 09-21-2015, 05:10 PM   #21
Bongos2U

Quote:
Originally Posted by laborsmith View Post
Many order LPO (dealer installed options) in order to roll everything into one price for financing purposes. For some LPO orders installation is included in the price. For others not (and the order guide usually states installation not included if this is the case) in which case you can settle on an installation charge as part of the deal write up. GM is not billed in either case, at least as far as I have learned.

Laborsmith
Thanks for the info. This is the option I was thinking about getting...

5JL-LPO, 4 Piston Front Brake Kit, includes Brembo Red brake calipers, slotted rotors and pad upgrade. Front brakes only.
1 - Not available with (Y4Q) Heavy-Duty Cooling and Brake Package.
Old 09-21-2015, 05:33 PM   #22
laborsmith

Quote:
Thanks for the info. This is the option I was thinking about getting...

5JL-LPO, 4 Piston Front Brake Kit, includes Brembo Red brake calipers, slotted rotors and pad upgrade. Front brakes only.
1 - Not available with (Y4Q) Heavy-Duty Cooling and Brake Package.
To me, that would make the Y4Q especially more attractive, especially if I wanted the WRS package.

Admittedly, I have a history of mods intended to improving cooling. In fact, my first customer (retail sold) order was to make sure my new vehicle had the factory installed heavy duty cooling and heavy duty suspension factory installed. That was for a 1974 Jeep Cherokee, ordered before Labor Day 1973 and before the start of regular production.

For what it is worth, in those days the order were mailed in - no computer program to enter an order or to track one. Times have certainly changed but the roller coaster ride remains much the same.

Laborsmith
Old 09-21-2015, 06:33 PM   #23
Bongos2U

Quote:
To me, that would make the Y4Q especially more attractive, especially if I wanted the WRS package.

Admittedly, I have a history of mods intended to improving cooling. In fact, my first customer (retail sold) order was to make sure my new vehicle had the factory installed heavy duty cooling and heavy duty suspension factory installed. That was for a 1974 Jeep Cherokee, ordered before Labor Day 1973 and before the start of regular production.

For what it is worth, in those days the order were mailed in - no computer program to enter an order or to track one. Times have certainly changed but the roller coaster ride remains much the same.

Laborsmith
I'm on the fence about ordering the WRS package. Just wondering what the Brembos would cost by themselves without the Y4Q package. I would guess ordering the Brembos ala carte would be cheaper than getting the Y4Q if WRS package was not ordered ?
Old 09-28-2015, 12:07 PM   #24
Memphis43

Drives: Chevy
3100 apparently for the 6 piston brakes. Becky updated it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Memphis43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 08:25 PM   #25
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: 2013 Dusk Edition 2SS/M6/Sun/NPP
Quote:
I'm on the fence about ordering the WRS package. Just wondering what the Brembos would cost by themselves without the Y4Q package. I would guess ordering the Brembos ala carte would be cheaper than getting the Y4Q if WRS package was not ordered ?
Around $1,250 through Amazon for 6 piston Brembo, though you may need to wait to see if the ZL1/V systems have the same fitment.
Snoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 06:36 PM   #26
i007spectre

Drives: 2016 2SS, 2008 HHR ECTO-2H
Just a question I was pondering. With a winter tire wheel set up on a "15 and earlier SS you could not use a rim smaller than 18's. Wonder what with the smaller brakes on the "16 if 17's will be possible?

And why exactly did people say the earlier SS has roller skates?
3000 - 9/30
3100 - 10/27
3300 - 10/28
3400 - 10/29 TPW 11/09
3800 - 11/10
4300 - 11/24
4B00 - 11/25
4200 - 12/5
5000 - 12/7
6000 - 12/11
i007spectre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 11:37 AM   #27
Marine Corps

Drives: 2016 2SS Garnet Red Camaro
Quote:
If you order RPO WRS ($1950 MSRP) you can order the Heavy Duty Cooling and Braking Package for $485 which includes Brembo brakes. Also if you order the 2LT and the black rims ($800) you can get the same (Y4Q) package for the same $485. Or if you want the 1LT and do not want the WRS you can also order the Heavy Duty Cooling and Braking package for $1285 MSRP.

All the above is factory installed.

If none of the above appeals to you, please reply and I will go through how LPO orders are treated based on my experience. It is not as simple an answer as the above.

Laborsmith
You seem to be very knowledgeable about Camaros. This questions isn't about brakes, however will you describe the Camaro generations (years). Also, I ordered the 6-piston brakes for my 2SS. Unlikely to take it to the track and can't change my order. Any good points about the 6-piston?
Marine Corps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 12:42 PM   #28
laborsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by i007spectre View Post
Just a question I was pondering. With a winter tire wheel set up on a "15 and earlier SS you could not use a rim smaller than 18's. Wonder what with the smaller brakes on the "16 if 17's will be possible?

And why exactly did people say the earlier SS has roller skates?
Because they looked like tiny roller skates.

Rims (wheels) vary, so there may be some 17s that might fit. It would be trial and error and take a patient installer. I had a Wilwood big brake kit on my last Cavalier and discovered fitment issues in real life.

Laborsmith