#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-27-2016, 03:27 PM   #3515
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Thats pretty much the reason why people want GM to do one. So that they can have a Chevy equivalent to the GT. Or maybe more accurately, so that they can say Chevy has one ... because they won't be able to buy it themselves.
I guess more so..I would imagine them wanting to do an R8 level car which starts at around $163,000.
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 04:06 PM   #3516
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedIsLife View Post
I guess more so..I would imagine them wanting to do an R8 level car which starts at around $163,000.
That's what I'm expecting. I was hoping for a mid engine Vette to move to the next level, not try and take on Ferrari.
Old 06-27-2016, 04:26 PM   #3517
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
That's what I'm expecting. I was hoping for a mid engine Vette to move to the next level, not try and take on Ferrari.
Not sure I follow. Ferrari more or less is the next level. The only reason to go mid engined is, allegedly, because the Z06 is about as good as it gets in the current configuration. The Z06 is already pretty much on par with the Ferarri 488 as is. Going mid-engined means that they're looking for more.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 04:31 PM   #3518
Bhobbs

Quote:
Not sure I follow. Ferrari more or less is the next level. The only reason to go mid engined is, allegedly, because the Z06 is about as good as it gets in the current configuration. The Z06 is already pretty much on par with the Ferarri 488 as is. Going mid-engined means that they're looking for more.
I mean more along the lines of price. The performance will always be way above it's price range.

I don't see it jumping from $120k to $400k.
Old 06-27-2016, 10:18 PM   #3519
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
The Z06 is already pretty much on par with the Ferarri 488 as is.
Um, no it's not lol...I spend lots of time at the track, road and auto-x, while the new Z06 is badass, the 488 is on another level. Just saw one at the track last weekend, absolutely amazing machine.
SS 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 10:57 PM   #3520
ilirg

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2ss
I don't know I think GM might be transitioning the entire Corvette line up to mid engine, but I can't see the base vette costing more than 70k, mid engine small block with standard brakes etc. 120-140k mid engine with a FI V8, maybe DOHC, and all the light weight and Carbon super car bits.
ilirg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 09:04 AM   #3521
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilirg View Post
I don't know I think GM might be transitioning the entire Corvette line up to mid engine...
I kinda think that too. There have been rumors that the reason the 6th gen Camaro got such a performance bump that puts it so close to the C7 is that the C8 is coming sooner than later, and going upmarket and mid engine. We will see...
Old 06-29-2016, 08:27 AM   #3522
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
If that's actually a mid engined Corvette then there goes GT class racing lol it's back to GT1. Porsche moving their engine forward of the rear axle, and potentially (probably) going turbo, the Corvette now (potentially/probably) going mid engined, the only one left is the Aston now.

Per the Car and Driver article that had some 'updates' to the mid engined Corvette, the price will start at 80k (supposedly), first engine will be a push rod V8 (maybe LT1?) until they can bring out a 32 valve V8 which will bring a good power increase. They also mention a hybrid AWD version with a electric motor for the front wheels (LMP-1H anyone?!?!) but I'll believe that one when I see it.

Per the same article we will see the production ready car in 2018 at the Detroit auto show (NAIAS) and the 32 valve V8 will debut in 2019 at the Detroit auto show as well.

Don't know how much weight those speculations carry though so take it with a grain or two of salt lol
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 08:34 AM   #3523
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Autoblog was speculating that it is not a mid engine Corvette but rather a mid engine Cadillac halo car. They made some interesting points on how/why it could be a Cadillac

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/06/28/m...dillac-theory/
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 09:48 AM   #3524
Bhobbs

Cadillac needs to figure out its own lineup first, like adding more CUVs. The Corvette is an established brand and mid engine is a logical step.
Old 06-29-2016, 10:30 AM   #3525
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
Autoblog was speculating that it is not a mid engine Corvette but rather a mid engine Cadillac halo car. They made some interesting points on how/why it could be a Cadillac

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/06/28/m...dillac-theory/
Even if that is the case, it would just end up being a shared platform with the Corvette like the XLR and C5 did, which would help spread out the costs. GM is not investing all of this money just for a halo Caddy IMO...
Old 06-29-2016, 10:31 AM   #3526
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
Cadillac needs to figure out its own lineup first, like adding more CUVs. The Corvette is an established brand and mid engine is a logical step.
That is part of the problem I see if Corvette goes mid engine. It has such a history of what it is, I think it might turn off Corvette buyers to see it move to something it hasn't ever been. Remember how mad people got when the C6 didn't have flip up head lights?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 1LE View Post
Even if that is the case, it would just end up being a shared platform with the Corvette like the XLR and C5 did, which would help spread out the costs. GM is not investing all of this money just for a halo Caddy IMO...
I don't know if autoblog is right, just thought it was interesting to see a different take on what may be happening.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 11:29 AM   #3527
PDXSSCE
Yee-aay-ee!

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS CV CE
Quote:
I seriously doubt GM would make the GNX mistake again, by allowing another model to outperform the Vette.
P.S. I love the GNX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 1LE View Post
Even if that is the case, it would just end up being a shared platform with the Corvette like the XLR and C5 did, which would help spread out the costs...
We know how that situation turned out.
Old 06-29-2016, 02:51 PM   #3528
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
That is part of the problem I see if Corvette goes mid engine. It has such a history of what it is, I think it might turn off Corvette buyers to see it move to something it hasn't ever been. Remember how mad people got when the C6 didn't have flip up head lights?
Remember how quickly people got over it though?

Remember how mad people were when the C7 didn't have round taillights? And again, people got over it.

You're never going to make everyone happy. And if the Corvette team is truthful in saying the Z06 is nearing the limit of the current configuration's performance potential, something drastic may have to happen.

Tags
fenwickhockey65, gm questions, questions