Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-18-2016, 11:21 AM   #29
Low Saturn

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghosted View Post
You said "Don't think two inches of headroom can be lost from something that isn't two inches thick.", referring to the actual measurement of 1-7/8". Calling a man out for a 1/8" discrepancy when referring to something that's eyeballed is just pedantic.
First, I wasn't calling him out. Reread what I'd said. Never referred to him by name. Never said "you" in my reply. In fact I was careful in my wording as not to call him out. I said that I had seen that measurement mentioned throughout the years. Not that he had been saying it or was the source of it.

Second, reread my entire post a couple more times. You're still not getting the measurement. I had typed out the meaning of the measurement but then erased it, because I figured it was simple enough. It seems like you think that the loss of headroom in a car with a sunroof is 1-7/8" instead of 2" because of my measurement. It's not. And also not the reason I went out and took the measurement.

I went out and took the measurement because I see that two inches of lost headroom mentioned a lot. Some people have posted as much as three inches. Since my car has a sunroof, I see the area between the headliner and roof quite often and it doen't seem like there was two inches of area to gain there. Let alone three. I went out to measure up from the bottom of the headliner two inches to see where a non sunroof Camaros headroom was. I was surprised/confused to see that if the two inch loss is accurate , then in a Camaro without a sunroof, the bottom of the headliner is about 1/8" above the outside roof panel.

I'm quite sure there is a loss of headroom with the sunroof, no doubt about that. But it doesn't seem to be as much as what gets posted. So far I can't find official GM documentation of interior dimensions between the two. I do find lots of speculation.

I already own a Camaro with a sunroof and love it. I'm tall and have plenty of headroom. So in the end, none of this really matters other than satisfying some curiosity.
Old 02-18-2016, 11:25 AM   #30
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow1616 View Post
Not true at all.
I test drove one with a sunroof or tried to and I could not fit at all. I had to lean My head to the right so it was in the sunroof section and that was very uncomfortable.
I was not even going to bother trying one without a sunroof but I did thanks to the salesman. I can now fit my hand between my head and the roof sitting comfortably. I never would have dreamed it.
Yes 2 inches difference is no lie I don't care how thick it measures.
Just read some of the posts here regarding the sunroof....some don't like it. But there are a ton of people that do. So as far as my post being "not true" your wrong.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 11:32 AM   #31
Rainbow1616

Drives: 2011 Inferno Orange Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by rontammy0 View Post
The sunroof is worth the slight headroom reduction it
Don't see how that makes you right But To a lot of us it is NOT worth the headroom reduction. (which makes the above quote wrong)
I just urge newcomers to be aware that there is less headroom no matter what the actual number is. For some its no concern but for some it would be a deal breaker for sure.
I was ready to walk away and buy a Challenger when the salesman urged Me to try one without a sunroof.
Rainbow1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 01:16 PM   #32
chozn4service

Drives: 2016 SS w/2SS A8 Blue Velvet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacpac View Post
The Sunroof is a curse.... Once you own a car with one you will never buy one without.

I know this to be true. I had a 2010 1LTRS without a roof and the previous car had one. I didn't think I wanted or needed it but after having this car it screwed with my head. I had one put in, and yes that would be on the reverse mohawk and I had zero issues with it and loved it! Everyone thought it was factory and wondered when they started doing them that way.
Anyway, I traded the 1LTRS for a 2SSRS and yes it had the roof. I wouldn't own a non roof car. I'm 6'0 and I have plenty of headroom and just the option of having the open air is a great feeling......
All I can say is don't settle. Get what you want so you don't have to mope around later on what you should or should not have done.
Old 02-18-2016, 01:19 PM   #33
Tysen

Drives: 2011 RJT 2SS/RS M6
You need that extra space when racing your car. I don't have a sunroof, and my head touches the top of my Camaro when I'm on the track.
Old 02-18-2016, 01:21 PM   #34
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow1616 View Post
Don't see how that makes you right But To a lot of us it is NOT worth the headroom reduction. (which makes the above quote wrong)
I just urge newcomers to be aware that there is less headroom no matter what the actual number is. For some its no concern but for some it would be a deal breaker for sure.
I was ready to walk away and buy a Challenger when the salesman urged Me to try one without a sunroof.
To many more it seems it IS worth it. I just judged for myself which is what the op should do. Some like it some dont.
Old 02-18-2016, 01:24 PM   #35
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tysen View Post
You need that extra space when racing your car. I don't have a sunroof, and my head touches the top of my Camaro when I'm on the track.
I've made many passes with my helmet and sunroof....im not sure I could autocross with it. But for drag racing I get by.