Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-25-2019, 11:54 AM   #1
bob13bob

Drives: dodge grand caravan, acura rsx
new buyer's comparison of camaro ss vs mustang gt

here are my thoughts. I'm happy to hear your input and where I may have goofed up.

I want these options
Android auto/apple play
Magneride - The magneride actually makes everyday non track driving better as you guys posted here.
Decent tire size, not too small or too large
Active exhaust - dont’ want to piss of neighbors, nor do i want to sit in a loud car all the time
automatic

Summary
mustang manual with magneride auto $43.5k online. SS auto with magne 41k with better wheels and tires. SS 1LE manual only 43.5k which is higher end than specced stang in most ways. Now assuming camaros can get 15% off right now, it makes the difference more stark.

I wish you can just add the magnaride to the mustang without hte harsher pp1 ride
https://shop.ford.com/build/mustang/...3D.96B.19B.%5D
37000 + 1100 + 8600 = $46630 msrp with auto. -1500 dealer incent = 45130
45055 with manual (for apples to apples comparison - 1500 incentive = 43535
1100 freight
Options $8600
In order to get black decent wheels 8.5” , $1000 add on and now i have to have ugly black roof. -cancel this because of pp1 addon below
In order to get a touch screen and android auto + $2000
Got get magneride + 1600 requires +$4000 for pp1. At least get 19” 9 + 9.5” wheels now. 255/275 tires. And get brembos

That’s SS 1le territory, $44000 + $1000 freight = $45k msrp. 43500 with incentive. If 15% off 38250.
https://www.chevrolet.com/performanc...stalCode=95101
20” 10”+ 11” wheels with 285/305 tires.
Must be manual. =/
Brembos, electronic differential . Headup dispaly, recaro seats

37k SS, optioned below to 41600. -1500 incentive = 41080 If 15% off = 36,210
https://www.chevrolet.com/performanc...stalCode=95101
Freight charge 1000
Package below 4600
painted balck wheels $300 8.5” fornt, 9.5” back wheel
245/*40ZR20 front and 275/*35ZR20 rear blackwall, summer-only run-flat tires
I don’t like run flats, but will replace them with more all weather tires and keep tire goo in trunk
10 speed automatic 1600
Dual mode 1000
Magnetic ride control 1700
Rear vision camera
8” screen with andoid auto/apple auto

SS 1le package is great value at 7k, but i don’t want the wider stickier tires that aren’t that kick rocks on the already pretty not durable paint job..

Mustang vs camaro
I want 10s auto transmission, which is better implemented in camaro SS than mustang GT by reports
The Ss also has better tremec manual T with higher rated hp and shifts better by reviews than GT.
I’m scared of mustang GT engine rattle, i would probably wait another year before buying because of this.
I like the new retuned coyote 5.0 numbers.
Have crappier camaro ss visibility is a BIG deal to me. I will rent both cars beforehand.
Ford has collision detection wiht $1000 smart and safe, ss does not. Big win for mustang.
I actually like the 19 ss refresh, it goes well in white and black wheels. I like the 19 mustang refresh too, i like the catfish look
I like that GT can use 87 vs Ss 91. But ss gets 30mpg in hightway driving vs msutangs 24mpg tested by car and drive https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...y-the-numbers/
bob13bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 12:34 PM   #2
Bosse'sBoss

Drives: '16 Camaro SS 6 spd manual transm.
If you are looking for a car that handles like a BMW M and better than any other Muscle car, look for the 6th gen Camaro.
'14 Camaro ZL1 w/. Recaro seats
'11 Mustang GT 5.0 w. track package
'02 Porsche 911 Carrera
'05 Infiniti G35 coupe sport
Bosse'sBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 12:34 PM   #3
parish8

Drives: 17 SS a8
Sounds like this isn’t an issue for you but it may be for others. The mustang has port and direct injection. The motor can handle boost well. Both of these things will save you money if your looking for big power some day.
Old 04-25-2019, 12:40 PM   #4
ScatPack
Banned

Drives: None at the moment
Its a toss up. If the forward visibility bothers you, then get the mustang. But in my mind the camaro is a better street and track car. The mustang is better for crowd control...
ScatPack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 03:51 PM   #5
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
The Camaro comes equipped with lots of features. The Mustang lets you mix and match this and that. So depending on what your thing is...what I dislike about the Stang is that sometimes when you're configuring a car the way you want and you add an option it removes other options. So you can't always match the car exactly how you like it. It is less so with the Camaro.

The visibility thing is not that big an issue as plenty of us DD these cars and absolutely love them. Others can't get past it. It would take more than one test drive to know if you're ok with it or not. So just remember that.

The GT will have more potential for greater HP. But how far that HP will get you is another thing entirely. I have seen plenty of Camaros with lesser HP match GTs with more HP and all due to the suspension. A roll on race would be a different story tho. The Mustang would clearly win. But you also have to factor that there seems to be lots of little issues with GTs when blowers are added on. Of course everyone will tell you "mine has 997 RWHP and never ever had an issue". But I suggest you take a look at some of their forums and look thru the forced induction sections to see what kinds of things you might have to look out for.

Most of us will tell you that the Camaro is better built and has better quality and longevity. One thing I noticed in my 15 GT was that the interior seemed flimsy. My 10 SS tho, the interior felt solid. There was a big difference in the leather on the seats. The GT leather felt thin and started showing wear signs early on. My SS had 50K miles and the leather on the seats was still intact and durable. Even the steering wheel, controls, etc. The Camaro just felt sturdier. But that was the 15 GT. I can't comment on the 18s and up.

From a performance standpoint the SS will come with everything you need. Proper brakes, cooling, handling, acceleration, tires, you name it. I can't say the same thing about the Mustang.

Get the A10 trans regardless of the car you choose. Although with the Mustang the A10 is a must...along with other options. With the SS the A10 is better but the M6 still gets the job done.

Other options...I'm not sure your intended use of the car or if you will have to transport people in it but if not, then you might want to consider a brand new 1LT Stingray. Lots of them are in the mid $40K range. Or depending on your budget, you might be able to find a used ZL1 in the high $40K range if you shop around...
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 05:55 AM   #6
gameovergt
G@M30v3RgT

Drives: 2016 Mustang GT 5.0 DIB
which are makes you giddy when you drive it/look at it? Cars are pretty even. The 2019 up Camaro looks have grown on me. Would probably choose it over a 2019 mustang!
Old 04-26-2019, 01:32 PM   #7
Idaho2018GTPremium

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
In general terms: '18/19 GT compared to the SS is:
Slightly quicker if optioned right
More livable: better sightlines, 50% bigger trunk, slightly more usable back seat, but still small
Slightly more hp but less torque
Has safe/smart option package which has a few more safety tech features than 18 and earlier SS models. I'm not sure on 19s, I think GM added a couple of features so do check that.
GT Doesn't handle as well, but for the street the PP1 is very nice for me. Put it this way, the PP1 is faster than a BMW M4 in Motor Trend's figure 8 test, so it's no Challenger
Slightly worse gas mileage (negligible to me as I can get 30 mpg on the hwy in mine)

Subjective items (in my opinion): GT > SS in:
Looks
Sound
Interior design
Recognition (regular people will often call the Camaro a Mustang)

Hence the reasons I'm in a GT and not an SS.

Past:
2018 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP1, MR, and A10
2007 MazdaSpeed3
1995 Pontiac Trans Am
1987 Camaro Z28

Idaho2018GTPremium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 12:53 AM   #8
metros11

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
.1 second to 60, negligible
More livable: better sightlines, 50% bigger trunk, slightly more usable back seat, but still small trunk is not 50% bigger
Slightly more hp but less torque 5 more hp, on a car that weighs more
Has safe/smart option package which has a few more safety tech features than 18 and earlier SS models. I'm not sure on 19s, I think GM added a couple of features so do check that. Which options?
GT Doesn't handle as well, but for the street the PP1 is very nice for me. Put it this way, the PP1 is faster than a BMW M4 in Motor Trend's figure 8 test, so it's no Challenger Doesn't handle nearly as well as the Camaro
Slightly worse gas mileage (negligible to me as I can get 30 mpg on the hwy in mine) as negligible as being 'quicker'

Looks
Sound
Interior design

I'd say the Mustang is a better looker, but...

Typerwriter tick, broken trans forks in the manual, mt82 vs Tremec in the Camaro, no trans or diff coolers, no track warranty for PP2

Hence the reason I'm in a SS 1LE and not a GT PP2.
metros11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 02:29 AM   #9
Mrbobcat

Drives: 2016 Mustang GT premium
I thought you could only get the 15% off on the 18's?...and then some dealers try not to honor it.
Mrbobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 07:53 AM   #10
wnta1ss

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
Drive both of them. You might have a subjective preference.

Objectively, what do you want from the car? If you want to run on the dragstrip, the SS actually still is slightly quicker than the GT in real-world observations, auto vs auto, and yes that includes the $$ Performance Pack Mustangs, don't care what fake news says. If you want to run HPDE, the Camaro will run the full 20 to 30 minute sessions fine, whereas the Mustangs are known to overheat and go into limp mode, sometimes after just 2 or 3 laps. Plus the Camaro keeps it's warranty on the track if it is still stock (really big plus there). Economy, the V8 Camaro can get surprisingly good mpg for a car that is this quick. Storage space, seems the Mustang has a little more, but we are talking sports coupes here, so neither one is meant to carry lumber home. Low octane fuel, the Camaro will run on it, but it's better to use premium. Since the Mustang has an even higher compression ratio than the Camaro does, I highly doubt that running low-octane fuel is 'good' in the Mustang either.
wnta1ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 08:18 AM   #11
Mrbobcat

Drives: 2016 Mustang GT premium
I'm coming from 2 Mustangs, a base 14 GT manual and my current guard 16 premium auto GT. There is nothing really wrong with my car, its quick especially at mid to top range and I still get compliments to this day. But IDK, the styling (mostly the side view) is looking frumpy to me. The camaro looks much better to me now (it didn't in the past). I love the looks of the 18. The 19 looks even better from the rear, but the new front kind of ruins it. From what I hear, its a drivers race between the new ones with most places having the Mustang quicker by maybe 0.1 to 60 or so. What I really want is a little more torque down low for real world driving. From my short test drive, the Camaro definitely feels quicker than my car, sounds better and has more features.

The downsides are the infotainment system seems more complicated (although no one really explained it to me), tiny trunk and you can only get 20" wheels and summer tires with the SS which will be a little more expensive to get some all seasons and a decent winter setup. I'm still thinking of an auto Challenger SP also. I have yet to drive one, but drove a manual RT and it was actually pretty nice.
Mrbobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 11:03 AM   #12
Idaho2018GTPremium

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by metros11 View Post
.1 second to 60, negligible
More livable: better sightlines, 50% bigger trunk, slightly more usable back seat, but still small trunk is not 50% bigger
Slightly more hp but less torque 5 more hp, on a car that weighs more
Has safe/smart option package which has a few more safety tech features than 18 and earlier SS models. I'm not sure on 19s, I think GM added a couple of features so do check that. Which options?
GT Doesn't handle as well, but for the street the PP1 is very nice for me. Put it this way, the PP1 is faster than a BMW M4 in Motor Trend's figure 8 test, so it's no Challenger Doesn't handle nearly as well as the Camaro
Slightly worse gas mileage (negligible to me as I can get 30 mpg on the hwy in mine) as negligible as being 'quicker'

Looks
Sound
Interior design

I'd say the Mustang is a better looker, but...

Typerwriter tick, broken trans forks in the manual, mt82 vs Tremec in the Camaro, no trans or diff coolers, no track warranty for PP2

Hence the reason I'm in a SS 1LE and not a GT PP2.
Mustang trunk: 13.5 cubic feet
Camaro trunk: 9.1 cubic feet
48.4% larger. I rounded up to 50%.

The 5.0 is in general slightly underrated at 460 hp. It makes more like 465-475 hp. I have seen some dyno 425 rwhp bone stock, which is like 480 hp.

In 2018 the Mustang had the "Safe and Smart" package (carried over to '19), which has pre-collision alert/assist and pedestrian awareness, audible collision warnings, adaptive cruise, auto high beams, blind spot monitoring, rear cross traffic alert, and lane keep assist/warning.

In 2018 the Camaro only had blind spot monitoring and rear cross traffic alert iirc. 2019 added front collision alert, but still lags way behind what is available in the Mustang.

Past:
2018 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP1, MR, and A10
2007 MazdaSpeed3
1995 Pontiac Trans Am
1987 Camaro Z28

Idaho2018GTPremium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 11:40 AM   #13
cbr1100xx
Account Suspended

Drives: '14 Jetta 1.8, '19 1SS
I came from a base '19 GT manual to a '19 A10 1SS. My GT was fine and I got $9K off MSRP but with the 2K grind and potential ticking, I decided to sell it while I got basically what I paid for it.

I can tell you the 1SS Camaro comes better equipped than a base GT with Apple Carplay/large screen, FULL power seat, sirius XM, drive modes all standard even though it costs a bit more.

The A10 in the Camaro is noticeably smoother than the Mustang's IMO. The handling between a 1SS and a base Mustang is no comparison. The Camaro feels way sportier. No regrets at all with the swap.
cbr1100xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 12:01 PM   #14
Chadicus

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho2018GTPremium View Post
Mustang trunk: 13.5 cubic feet
Camaro trunk: 9.1 cubic feet
48.4% larger. I rounded up to 50%.

The 5.0 is in general slightly underrated at 460 hp. It makes more like 465-475 hp. I have seen some dyno 425 rwhp bone stock, which is like 480 hp.

In 2018 the Mustang had the "Safe and Smart" package (carried over to '19), which has pre-collision alert/assist and pedestrian awareness, audible collision warnings, adaptive cruise, auto high beams, blind spot monitoring, rear cross traffic alert, and lane keep assist/warning.

In 2018 the Camaro only had blind spot monitoring and rear cross traffic alert iirc. 2019 added front collision alert, but still lags way behind what is available in the Mustang.
There is a video where a stock SS put down 431 RWHP. I would take those dynos with a grain of salt honestly. Dynos are great tracking gains after mods but other than that they are just bar stool talking points.

I will agree that my Mustang was more "livable" than my Camaro. But I have a truck and SUV for that. I have friends with Mustangs some even with the GT* (LOL) honestly neither the Mustang or Camaro would suit me as a daily driver.

The one option the Mustang did not have that Camaro did and was a dealbreaker was a sunroof.
Chadicus is offline   Reply With Quote