Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 04-24-2019, 12:25 PM   #29
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by trakdayz View Post
Auto reviews...anyone? would love to get some input guys.
Cars with DCT I had in the past: 09 M3 DCT and 13 M5 DCT.
Currently have a 16 DCT M5 CP and 18 M3 DCT CP. All miles combined in 10 years of my DCT experience are about 160,000 miles.

My REALITY: Around town the DCT will shift immediately when using the paddles. Upshift or downshift happens now.

The A10 not so much around town. Manual shifts are slower for upshift or downshifts. No big deal really.

Where I had concerns was on roll runs. I had a 13 ZL1 A6 and that car took years to downshift in auto mode for roll runs. By the time the car downshifted the other car running you was in a different zip code.

The DCTs cars on roll runs are gone into outer space from 70 mph to 140 plus mph.

The A10 is at least equal to the DCT on roll runs or slightly better. All you do is tap the gas for PERFORMANCE SHIFT MODE to pop up ( nothing more than immediate skipped downshifts) and then mash the throttle.

This car flies into the horizon. I am very happy with the A10 on the highway. It’s all I ever wanted in the GEN V and GEN VI. GM delivered!
Old 04-24-2019, 12:27 PM   #30
URBAN LEGEND

Any other questions that I can answer I will.
Old 04-24-2019, 12:30 PM   #31
1LE Red Dragon
Train Driver

Drives: 2018 Summit White ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND View Post
I’ll have 70 mph+ roll run information and thoughts tomorrow. Eagerly awaiting if it rolls faster than my F10 M5. I hope so.
So from your post above, does that mean your ZLE A10 "Rolls faster than my (your) F10 M5"??

/ / Katech TB // RotoFab Dry // Borla 60606 // ATI Super Damper / /
1LE Red Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 12:39 PM   #32
URBAN LEGEND

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LE Red Dragon View Post
So from your post above, does that mean your ZLE A10 "Rolls faster than my (your) F10 M5"??
Stock for stock I couldn’t tell. It’s seems tight. My wife who drives all of my cars and has experienced lots of roll runs and passes said that the ZL1 1LE A10 feels M5ish on the roll runs. I know I’m happy with the A10 and a few Chevy mods can end the discussion fast.
Old 04-24-2019, 12:45 PM   #33
1LE Red Dragon
Train Driver

Quote:
Stock for stock I couldn’t tell. It’s seems tight. My wife who drives all of my cars and has experienced lots of roll runs and passes said that the ZL1 1LE A10 feels M5ish on the roll runs. I know I’m happy with the A10 and a few Chevy mods can end the discussion fast.
So how does the 2018 ZLE compare in roll runs to your M5?

Old 04-24-2019, 12:52 PM   #34
URBAN LEGEND

Quote:
So how does the 2018 ZLE compare in roll runs to your M5?
Feels about equal. Which is good because a tune and pulley would make it unequal. The ZL1 1LE A10 is definitely planted and gives confidence in the roll demo runs.
Old 04-24-2019, 01:25 PM   #35
Mover

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby35ny View Post
A10 reviews are a dime a dozen, he's looking for a ZL1-1le A10 review....
Deleted.
Mover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 01:39 PM   #36
trakdayz

Drives: E92 M3 & E36 M3 (Full Race car)
Quote:
Cars with DCT I had in the past: 09 M3 DCT and 13 M5 DCT.
Currently have a 16 DCT M5 CP and 18 M3 DCT CP. All miles combined in 10 years of my DCT experience are about 160,000 miles.

My REALITY: Around town the DCT will shift immediately when using the paddles. Upshift or downshift happens now.

The A10 not so much around town. Manual shifts are slower for upshift or downshifts. No big deal really.

Where I had concerns was on roll runs. I had a 13 ZL1 A6 and that car took years to downshift in auto mode for roll runs. By the time the car downshifted the other car running you was in a different zip code.

The DCTs cars on roll runs are gone into outer space from 70 mph to 140 plus mph.

The A10 is at least equal to the DCT on roll runs or slightly better. All you do is tap the gas for PERFORMANCE SHIFT MODE to pop up ( nothing more than immediate skipped downshifts) and then mash the throttle.

This car flies into the horizon. I am very happy with the A10 on the highway. It’s all I ever wanted in the GEN V and GEN VI. GM delivered!
A true scholar! thank you man...now,
Lets get into manual mode, really on the throttle changing gears...up and down shifts.
On the down shifts, any delay? hesitation?
I would love to see this on the track. Im a driving Instructor for SCDA1.com and I would love to test this car from passenger stand point and drivers.

What concerns me is possible overheating on the track when ran hard...but we shall see.

Would be epic if you made a short video of Auto mode and Manual mode...wife recording you. Just a thought.
trakdayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 02:07 PM   #37
URBAN LEGEND

Quote:
Originally Posted by trakdayz View Post
A true scholar! thank you man...now,
Lets get into manual mode, really on the throttle changing gears...up and down shifts.
On the down shifts, any delay? hesitation?
I would love to see this on the track. Im a driving Instructor for SCDA1.com and I would love to test this car from passenger stand point and drivers.

What concerns me is possible overheating on the track when ran hard...but we shall see.

Would be epic if you made a short video of Auto mode and Manual mode...wife recording you. Just a thought.
Thanks. I appreciate it! On the track I think the tranny in full auto would be the best option. I’ve read that more than once on this forum. The A10 will deliver if left alone.

I did not test the paddles under anger because I expected the full auto mode to deliver and be the fastest way forward from 70 mph to XXX MPH.

A neat feature of the paddle manual mode is if you are on the highway at whatever speed in say in 8th gear and you hold the left paddle back the car instantly downshifts to the lowest gear possible. No multiple downshifts needed. I’ve never seen or heard of this feature in any car.

I will consider a video.
Old 04-24-2019, 03:46 PM   #38
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Quote:
Thanks. I appreciate it! On the track I think the tranny in full auto would be the best option. I’ve read that more than once on this forum. The A10 will deliver if left alone.

I did not test the paddles under anger because I expected the full auto mode to deliver and be the fastest way forward from 70 mph to XXX MPH.

A neat feature of the paddle manual mode is if you are on the highway at whatever speed in say in 8th gear and you hold the left paddle back the car instantly downshifts to the lowest gear possible. No multiple downshifts needed. I’ve never seen or heard of this feature in any car.

I will consider a video.
FYI, I believe for that downshift trick to work you have to let off the throttle for it to confirm. Hold the left paddle while you're on the gas and it won't do anything (maybe it downshifts 1 gear, it's been a while since I did it) but as soon as you let off the gas even for a millisecond it will downshift to lowest gear possible. This is really meant for braking into a turn so you don't have to count downshifts or even watch the tach. I know a couple Ferraris have this feature too. Since it's more or less designed for braking, it sometimes puts you into a gear that's out of RPM or nearly out of RPM making it not ultimate for all roll racing situations unless you've tested it for the speed you're going for before. Usually just quickly stabbing it in D to get it to go into performance shift mode is the gear you want. It's puts you in the best gear for immediate WOT acceleration, not too short, not too long.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 04:05 PM   #39
URBAN LEGEND

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
FYI, I believe for that downshift trick to work you have to let off the throttle for it to confirm. Hold the left paddle while you're on the gas and it won't do anything (maybe it downshifts 1 gear, it's been a while since I did it) but as soon as you let off the gas even for a millisecond it will downshift to lowest gear possible. This is really meant for braking into a turn so you don't have to count downshifts or even watch the tach. I know a couple Ferraris have this feature too. Since it's more or less designed for braking, it sometimes puts you into a gear that's out of RPM or nearly out of RPM making it not ultimate for all roll racing situations unless you've tested it for the speed you're going for before. Usually just quickly stabbing it in D to get it to go into performance shift mode is the gear you want. It's puts you in the best gear for immediate WOT acceleration, not too short, not too long.
I think it’s for braking too. Usually happens while slowing down from the highway to my left hand turn right off the highway.
Old 04-25-2019, 11:29 AM   #40
URBAN LEGEND

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
I can confirm that you can be on the gas and if you hold the ieft paddle back it will downshift. This happens under braking or on the throttle. I went from 7th to 3rd with one click.

This will never beat the quick stab to activate Performance Shift and then WOT.
Never!
Old 04-25-2019, 11:39 AM   #41
1LE Red Dragon
Train Driver

Having both the M6 and the A10. If you had to get rid of one of them today, which one would you keep? And why?

Old 04-25-2019, 12:33 PM   #42
URBAN LEGEND

Quote:
Having both the M6 and the A10. If you had to get rid of one of them today, which one would you keep? And why?
The M6 can go. I need passing capabilities on the highway without missing a shift or having to downshift which alerts the future prey. So that’s my reason.

These are different cars. It’s all about what YOU intend to do with the car. The potential buyer must know what’s the purpose of this car. Both are awesome though.