Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Phastek Performance

Old 04-25-2019, 11:13 AM   #43
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
meh. mine works fine. Though i've been running a trifecta tune for the last 2+ years. Since this impacts the two different A8's, it must be something common to both and I'd be willing to bet it's just bad programming rather than a mechanical defect.

You can make most automatics hard shift and do weird stuff by driving outside of the expected driving behavior it was tuned for (Short hard brake at speed and then light acceleration etc) that has it fooled into thinking you want a certain gear because you're about to resume your sporty driving vs an overdrive cruising gear, etc. It's just that prior years there weren't that many gears to choose from so it was less noticeable.

but good luck to those in the lawsuit... they'll make that lawyer very rich.
The issue with the A8 is a very real issue. The "rumble strips" feeling is the most common issue across the board. Why this particular class action description focuses on the jerky, jarring, slamming characteristics that sometimes happens is beyond me. That is not the issue everyone is up in arms over...its the TC slippage, not the transmission itself.

Hopefully the new fluid does fix it, but it's hard to have faith at this point. But yes, a tuned TCM also seems to get rid of it, when the slip tables are altered for less slip (per my understanding)
Old 04-25-2019, 11:28 AM   #44
396ssrat

Drives: 66 Chevelle SS
In class action suits the Lawyers are the typical winners but GM has knowledge of this issue and might want to get all over it NOW. Maybe even go back to the 6 spd auto.
396ssrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 12:43 AM   #45
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by 396ssrat View Post
In class action suits the Lawyers are the typical winners but GM has knowledge of this issue and might want to get all over it NOW. Maybe even go back to the 6 spd auto.
The issue isn't transmission related, it's a torque converter issue. If you have a M6 and the clutch fails do you blame the transmission?
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 01:00 AM   #46
396ssrat

Drives: 66 Chevelle SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
The issue isn't transmission related, it's a torque converter issue. If you have a M6 and the clutch fails do you blame the transmission?
No but if I have a new car and the transmission is not operating like it should I think it is suspect. My 6 spd auto in my Silverado shifts just fine.
Come to think about it. This is 2019 and when a person buys a new vehicle they expect a new not defective vehicle. GM should have repaired this problem before they ever introduced the vehicle for sale to consumers. Period! This type of stuff is why GM failed and need bankruptcy money. Get your product right before it is for sale no matter what it takes. Stop pissing off new vehicle owners if you want to continue to sell new vehicles. The cracked Dash on my 11 Silverado still pisses me off so there is a pattern with GM selling sub par vehicles with sub par service after sale. Stop using old fashioned cheap Chinese plastic for interiors in our vehicles because it cracks bad.

Last edited by 396ssrat; 04-26-2019 at 02:24 AM.
396ssrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 07:23 AM   #47
indyz

Drives: 2SS, CT-R, LC500
Great business decision by GM??

Figure all those who traded their cars in, saving GM a lot of money.

Keep putting bandaids on the problem, do NOT extend the warranty. Run out the warranty.

Lol. Awesome.
indyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 08:06 AM   #48
Fun

Drives: 2020 V6 Auto 3LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
Do you think they’ve changed the Torque Converter they’re using in 2019s and maybe 2018 for the A8s ? Thanks
Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 08:28 AM   #49
craigss50

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS Fifty
Quote:
No but if I have a new car and the transmission is not operating like it should I think it is suspect. My 6 spd auto in my Silverado shifts just fine.
Come to think about it. This is 2019 and when a person buys a new vehicle they expect a new not defective vehicle. GM should have repaired this problem before they ever introduced the vehicle for sale to consumers. Period! This type of stuff is why GM failed and need bankruptcy money. Get your product right before it is for sale no matter what it takes. Stop pissing off new vehicle owners if you want to continue to sell new vehicles. The cracked Dash on my 11 Silverado still pisses me off so there is a pattern with GM selling sub par vehicles with sub par service after sale. Stop using old fashioned cheap Chinese plastic for interiors in our vehicles because it cracks bad.

GM is being stupid with this issue. It's been going on now for 3 years and they are still selling new cars with the issue. When a person has the shutter they tell their friends and anyone they know buying a GM. It has to hurt sales more than it would cost to fix the issue. GM should stop selling cars with this transmission and make the people who have one whole by giving a lifetime transmission/TC warranty.
craigss50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 09:19 AM   #50
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Quote:
I don't disagree with any of that...the point remains the transmission isn't the issue. The A8 shifts fine, but the converter shudders on many equipped A8 vehicles. That is all I was correcting. The torque converter issue is no doubt BS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fun View Post
Do you think they’ve changed the Torque Converter they’re using in 2019s and maybe 2018 for the A8s ? Thanks
The 2019 A10 is completely different. My guess is they changed the trans tune and did something with how AFM operates because the 2019's lost 1mpg.

The 2018's still suffer from the same issue ad the 2016-17's. Supposedly the new fluid and flush procedure as of March 2019 fixes the issue. I am still suspect on that...I am a firm believer that the trans tuning is culprit combined with other things. I haven't had the issue, but mine is tuned and the TCC slip tables are zero'd out with AFM disabled.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 09:34 AM   #51
custommx3

Drives: 2017 2SS, 2023 3LT RS, 2011 2LT RS
I had mine TQ converter replaced about 10K ago, no issues so far. My issue didn't cost me as I have the warranty, so I'm a little hesitant about putting my name on that list.
custommx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 09:34 AM   #52
yankee

Drives: 2018 Camaro LT RS, 2015 Mazda 3
Should I get the new fluid even if I don’t have the shudder yet? Is that under warranty?
yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 09:56 AM   #53
zag

Drives: 2018 camaro 2 ss
N0, it would be a self pay issue. The dealer wouldn't even change the old trans fluid to the new one for me on a self pay basis. It did eventually get changed due to the shudder i had.
zag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 09:56 AM   #54
aftershock2276

Drives: 2016 2ss camaro
Question diy flush

im going to do the flush myself with the mobil1 hp approved atf. ive wached some trasmission flush videos on the silverado on youtube and i think can handle it. i have no issues yet knock on wood so im hoping this will prevent any future issues. also im going to add the silverado dipstick assembly so i can fill it from the top, its pressy much plug and play. any thoughts on a DIY preventative flush?

Last edited by aftershock2276; 04-26-2019 at 02:18 PM.
aftershock2276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 10:06 PM   #55
HCI2000SS

Drives: 2018 Camaro V6/RS
Just got mine back today. New revised torque converter, along with new fluid and flush procedure. Honestly it feels better than the day I bought it. No shudder at all, but even more interesting is that the trans behaves a little differently. Hard to describe, but it just feels better and more correct like a normal trans should IMO. Hopefully this completely fixes it. Anyone know what is different about this revised torque converter? Service advisor couldn't really tell me
HCI2000SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 12:49 AM   #56
KILLA BEE
Black lightning

Drives: 2021 ZL1 1LE A10
I was contacted

I Emailed classaction.org after I saw the link at the beginning of this thread and in 2 days have been contacted by a lawyer, regarding the A8, it is VERY REAL they take your information and want a description of the problems you have had regarding the A8 in general. I would highly reccomend giving it a shot. They did advise that sometimes it gets settled even before any court is involved and normaly there client gets 1500-5000.00......FYI. I have already had the *updated fluid* flush, just yesterday its too early to tell if it helped.