Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-04-2019, 08:06 AM   #57
DevilsReject97
Nightmare

Drives: Your mom crazy in bed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
People have become so afraid of risk (in any amount) these days that I'm sure there are cases where a car's speed capability is intentionally held further below its tires' rated capability than absolutely necessary just to provide that little extra margin of safety.

Norm
I agree with that statement 100%. However, my statement was merely to correct an inaccurate comment. There are tires do handle 200 mph and there are plenty that support 170-190mph as well..
Old 03-04-2019, 08:14 AM   #58
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
So all the outcry over this possible law is kind of over reacting.
Outcry over anything so arbitrary and inflexible is certainly justified.

Norm
Old 03-04-2019, 08:32 AM   #59
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsReject97 View Post
I agree with that statement 100%. However, my statement was merely to correct an inaccurate comment. There are tires do handle 200 mph and there are plenty that support 170-190mph as well..
Agreed. It's not hard at all to find (Y) tires, with the parentheses being at least as important as the letter Y inside them.

Norm
Old 03-04-2019, 10:24 AM   #60
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsReject97 View Post
First, this isn't a 150 mph speed limiter. This would be a limiter that actually prevents you from traveling 60 mph in a 55 mph zone... which is dangerous in its own right. More to the point, if you truly need these kinds of systems, you've done a piss poor job of training people to drive/operate vehicles.

Secondly, there are several tires that are rated for close to 200 mph. Just because companies electronically limit them doesn't mean the tires don't exist. Most companies are simply limiting them based on the old premise of 149 mph being the top rated speed on tires. However, tires do exist that exceed that speed rating considerably.
I said that there were almost none, not that they didn't exist or that there weren't several. If you look at what is available for any given popular tire size (like the most common top 5 for various vehicle classes which would make up the majority of all cars sold, like from https://www.tirereview.com/2017-top-...ck-commercial/) , the tire offerings that reach Y rating are anywhere from non existent to at best the very low teens (like for our car's size tires which aren't on the list because like these tires, few people are buying our type of car compared to the masses).

But since this isn't in regards to the european continent's desire to limit all vehicles to 150 and instead is something new like you stated, the point is moot.

And I think your last sentence in the first paragraph is why these kinds of laws will definitely pass one way or another. We aren't willing to limit driving to only those humans who are skilled enough to operate 2 ton machines. Not just in europe, but pretty much everywhere. People need to get to places and we aren't willing to be inconvenienced by everyone else's schedules and all take public transportation. So adequate driving tests will never be widely adopted to the point where it's effective at removing people who can't drive from the road.

So yes, this will be something that will pass for human drivers or (and i think more likely), this will be built into the auto-driving car robots of the near future that will remove all human driving from the roads. Until people dont have a real need to work outside of their homes and have to get to places every single day multiple times a day, the roads will be forever more outside of the reach of enthusiasts.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 10:27 AM   #61
nicktechla

Drives: 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
I said that there were almost none, not that they didn't exist or that there weren't several. If you look at what is available for any given popular tire size (like the most common top 5 for various vehicle classes which would make up the majority of all cars sold, like from https://www.tirereview.com/2017-top-...ck-commercial/) , the tire offerings that reach Y rating are anywhere from non existent to at best the very low teens (like for our car's size tires which aren't on the list because like these tires, few people are buying our type of car compared to the masses).

But since this isn't in regards to the european continent's desire to limit all vehicles to 150 and instead is something new like you stated, the point is moot.

And I think your last sentence in the first paragraph is why these kinds of laws will definitely pass one way or another. We aren't willing to limit driving to only those humans who are skilled enough to operate 2 ton machines. Not just in europe, but pretty much everywhere. People need to get to places and we aren't willing to be inconvenienced by everyone else's schedules and all take public transportation. So adequate driving tests will never be widely adopted to the point where it's effective at removing people who can't drive from the road.

So yes, this will be something that will pass for human drivers or (and i think more likely), this will be built into the auto-driving car robots of the near future that will remove all human driving from the roads. Until people dont have a real need to work outside of their homes and have to get to places every single day multiple times a day, the roads will be forever more outside of the reach of enthusiasts.
if they don't make Y tires in your size, your car probably wont go over 150 anyways
-- Past --
2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe - Red Hot - A10, PDR - HRE P101
2015 Mustang GT PP - Whipple Supercharger
nicktechla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 11:23 AM   #62
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicktechla View Post
if they don't make Y tires in your size, your car probably wont go over 150 anyways
perhaps. ..but not being able to reach 150 is not really a problem.

Not being able to confidently handle doing 80 is. Not being able to accelerate to 60 in under 10 seconds is. Not being able to stop is. That kind of performance is what leads to accidents in heavy traffic areas. Allowing vehicles that fall outside of those parameters to drive on the road requires laws that limit everyone. Then on top of that, you have drivers who can't operate their machines at those parameters even if the machine can do it. So you have to have laws that limit everyone to those people's ability.

The deck is stacked against anyone who isn't poor to mediocre in driving ability. This will never change since the only way it is going to improve is by getting humans out of the drivers seat and out of personal vehicle ownership.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 06:15 PM   #63
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Volvo announced today that starting next year all of their vehicles will be speed limited to 112 mph.

Think of it this way, driving isn't a right even though we think it is. If we would just stop killing each other with cars or getting killed by cars then the need for regulating the car and the driving goes away.
Old 03-04-2019, 07:26 PM   #64
Hops

Drives: 2019 1ss 1le, blue wrap
I often wonder what the errors are on the estimated safety claims. What if they go through all this and they're are minimal improvements, which could be been met with increased enforcement, will they rethink the devices? i doubt it.
"The push for mandatory speed limiters is being spearheaded by the European Transport Safety Council, which says the limiters will reduce traffic collisions by 30 per cent, and save 25,000 lives within 15 years of coming into force."
As far a pedestrian fatalities in the US, i found this article interesting:
https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...-year-in-a-row
"Other factors include vehicle speeds and alcohol use — not just by drivers, but by pedestrians. According to the most recent GHSA report, 33 percent of pedestrian fatalities involved a pedestrian with a blood alcohol content above the legal driving limit. Of course, it's not illegal to walk while drunk, but it can be dangerous — even deadly.
Seventy-five percent of fatalities occurred in the dark, and in 72 percent of the victim was walking in or crossing a road and wasn't in an intersection."
Hops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 06:09 AM   #65
brap999

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
This is why I will always keep my GTO and C10 - Carbureted and all mechanical (except for the HEI's). There's nothing anyone can do to either of them that I couldn't undo, including forcing some kind of speed limiter.
1998 Dodge Viper GTS
1972 Pontiac GTO
1963 Chevy C10 short bed, T5, 350, lowered
brap999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 06:40 AM   #66
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Think of it this way, driving isn't a right even though we think it is.
But somebody else has the right to micro-manage our driving (separate from issuing guidelines and expecting at least reasonable compliance)?

Norm
Old 03-05-2019, 07:32 PM   #67
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
But somebody else has the right to micro-manage our driving (separate from issuing guidelines and expecting at least reasonable compliance)?

Norm
No they don’t have a right.....it’s just their job.
Old 03-06-2019, 06:30 AM   #68
Jeb114

Drives: 2021 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by brap999 View Post
This is why I will always keep my GTO and C10 - Carbureted and all mechanical (except for the HEI's). There's nothing anyone can do to either of them that I couldn't undo, including forcing some kind of speed limiter.
Well you better hope the Green New Deal does not become a reality it outlaws Gasoline in 15 Years. So I guess they can reach out and touch you!!!!
Jeb114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 09:53 AM   #69
nicktechla

Drives: 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S
Quote:
Originally Posted by brap999 View Post
well so far, nobody has ever made an ECU that was uncrackable, so i don't think anything is undoable
-- Past --
2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe - Red Hot - A10, PDR - HRE P101
2015 Mustang GT PP - Whipple Supercharger
nicktechla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 12:12 PM   #70
Jim50thSS

Drives: 50th SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeb114 View Post
Well you better hope the Green New Deal does not become a reality it outlaws Gasoline in 15 Years. So I guess they can reach out and touch you!!!!
We will all be fighting to just feed our families after that anyhow.
Jim50thSS is offline   Reply With Quote