Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro Convertible

Bigwormgraphix

Old 07-08-2018, 07:53 PM   #1
Marco Falcone

Drives: 2018 2SS Convertible MBM/Kal
Trim above rear window keeps popping out

The little plastic trim rib that secures the headliner to the top of the rear window keeps popping out of it’s track on the driver’s/left side. Causes the rear left-center of the headliner to sag just enough to see in the rear view mirror and be annoying.

With the rear window lifted about 45-degrees off the tonneau cover, there is enough slack in the headliner to easily pop it back in. (Actually getting into the back seat to do it is another story.)

But it keeps popping out, only on the driver’s side. I tried a little black nail polish in the track, and that worked for a week.

I just ran a bead of Elmer’s glue in the track, and hope that holds.

Anyone else had this issue?

Car has just over 1000 miles on it in since delivery on 06/20/18. Still under “everything” warranty, but I’m not interested in a trip to the dealer for this unless I absolutely have to. (I’m very happy with my dealership so far. Did the 500 mile oil change and they used the Dexos full synthetic, vacuumed it out etc.). If the Elmer’s doesn’t hold, I will likely have the dealer “deal” with it when I go in for a 1500-mile A8/diff flush.

I DD the car, and the top goes up/down several times a day.

Other than issue, no other problems at all.

Thanks much!
2018 2SS Vert. MBM/Kalahari. MRR FS01’s with 285/305 MPS4S. Black Bow ties, A8, MRC, NPP, 6-piston Brembo’s w/ matching rears, OEM Ground Effects/Splash Guards, 8”/Nav. Borla S-type, Pray IM/TB, RotoFab.

Past DD’s of note:
2013 Caprice PPV. (“Company” car.)
1998 Cadillac STS
1996 Impala SS
1969 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1993 Corvette
1991 Mustang 5.0 LX
1973 Alfa Romeo Spider
1986 Mustang GT T-top
1964 Falcon Sprint Hardtop. (First car, still have the key!)
Marco Falcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 06:49 AM   #2
Matamatic

Drives: 2018 2SS Vert M6
I've just recently experienced this too with my top. The car has about 1200 miles on it, and I had taken it to get ceramic coated when it first happened. When I picked up the car, as I got in to drive away and was about to drop the top I noticed that the fabric was drooping when I looked in my rear view. I reattached the fabric and wow was it a very tight stretch to get the plastic trim piece back around the window lip. I thought the fabric stitching was going to tear out of the fabric.

I checked it out when I got home and I noticed that when I close any of the doors, the rear window bounces from the sudden increase in pressure in the cabin. I figured that the doors were likely opened and closed numerous times at the detail shop, and that must've agitated it enough to come loose. I've left the top up for a few days to see if that causes things to stretch back out in hopes of it not happening again. If it does happen again, I'll log it to be checked when I take the car in for the 1500 mile rear diff fluid change.
Matamatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 08:16 AM   #3
Bigdog9586

Drives: 2016 Z06 coupe
My question is will GM be willing to warranty this after you pour glue all over it.
Bigdog9586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 11:34 AM   #4
Marco Falcone

BigDog: Thanks for the info on your doing this.

I was concerned about gluing it/warranty, which I why I just a thin bead of Elmer’s glue. It has held since the original post.

For reattaching the trim, I opened the top a little. Just enough to get the rear window to raise about 45-degrees. This creates slack in the rear of the headliner and makes it much easier to put the trim back in its track.

If it pops out again, I’ll let you know. But for now, and after at least 10 top up/downs, it’s holding and you the glue isn’t visible.
2018 2SS Vert. MBM/Kalahari. MRR FS01’s with 285/305 MPS4S. Black Bow ties, A8, MRC, NPP, 6-piston Brembo’s w/ matching rears, OEM Ground Effects/Splash Guards, 8”/Nav. Borla S-type, Pray IM/TB, RotoFab.

Past DD’s of note:
1998 Cadillac STS
1996 Impala SS
1993 Corvette
1991 Mustang 5.0 LX
1973 Alfa Romeo Spider
1986 Mustang GT T-top
Old 07-16-2018, 10:00 AM   #5
Marco Falcone

And yesterday it had popped out again.

Going to clean it up and re-seat it. Then when the car goes to the dealer for a 1500 mile A8 and diff flush, I’ll see what they say.

Car delivered on 06/20/18. Has just under 1400 miles on it. This is the only thing that has gone “wrong.” (And it’s pretty minor.)

Well that and I noticed how ugly the front seat belts look. The exposed, skinny, shrink-wrapped stalks with the buckles on top look like a ‘roid lifer who always skips leg day. Ordered some leather stalk covers off eBay. We will see how they work.

Past DD’s of note:
1998 Cadillac STS
1996 Impala SS
1993 Corvette
1991 Mustang 5.0 LX
1973 Alfa Romeo Spider
1986 Mustang GT T-top
Old 09-02-2018, 05:38 AM   #6
Matamatic

Drives: 2018 2SS Vert M6
Took mine to the dealer to have the rear axle lubricant replaced at 1500 miles and asked them to take a look at the trim piece around the rear window. They said that they would have to replace the top and would have to order a new one (All covered under warranty). I told them to hold off on it for right now since majority of my driving is with the top down and it only bothers me when I park the car and put the top back up and see it. Once we hit the fall temps and weather I'll look to get the top changed since the top will be up more, and I don't want to have restricted visibility out my rear window.
Matamatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 09:04 PM   #7
TLSTWIN
Romans10:9-13

Drives: /\yes, this is me/\
Mine has does this as well 3 times in 2300 miles. I have a 2018 ZL1. Just took it to the dealer and showed them. Told them we need to start documenting this. I showed them how easy it is to put it back, but it shouldn't be happening and it will only do it more and more as the "locks" built into the rubber design will start to wear out and fail.

They agreed, took pictures, documented the problem and the "temporary" fix. They are looking into any fixes from GM.

I am not risking gluing it and voiding any warranty.

I also will keep this updated with what I find out.
Old 09-08-2018, 09:16 AM   #8
18LTLoveIt

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue LT RS
I traded my 2013 5th Gen Vert due to quirky top issues on a 17K mile car. 2 dealers said, "we don't see many convertibles" That's code for we don't know.

I hope you fare better than I did, let's hope the redesigned 6th Gen top was a better design
18LTLoveIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 12:22 PM   #9
TLSTWIN

Mine just did it a fourth time, stopped by the local dealership again.

Got an appt Wednesday with a higher up service dude, looking for an "appropriate" solution/fix.

Doesn't seem to be a huge issue for the 6th gen convertible. Been in production 3yrs almost and it is just recent that the few of us have had an issue. My guess would be a different manufacturer of the top in recent production.

Old 09-12-2018, 05:00 PM   #10
TLSTWIN

So, they are ordering a new head liner, not a whole new top. They have done this with a couple other convertibles at a couple other dealers.

No more issues once they are replaced. Mine will be in next week.