Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

Phastek Performance

Old 08-11-2020, 09:44 AM   #43
RobbyBeefcake87

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
My C8 dream died with no manual being offered. Looks like I will have to go Porsche or somewhere else to get my MT coupled with a rear/mid engine layout fix someday.
Same, atleast Porsche is still offering them and they make some great MT transmissions.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE - GM cai, black bowties, suede knee bolsters, 1le plate frame, black fuel door, dark tails + 3rd brake light, euro side markers + led's, GM all weather floor mats, velossatech big mouth, GM strut brace.
2017 Corvette Grandsport (sold) - untouched.
2006 GTO (sold) - iat relocation, air box mod, monero side marker lights.
RobbyBeefcake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 09:51 AM   #44
RobbyBeefcake87

Quote:
I've gone to a Porsche dealership 2-3 times in the past 5 years expecting to get a Cayman or a 911. All three times I left feeling a bit underwhelmed. They are obviously very capable beautiful cars. The best way I can describe it is that they are too nice and too smooth etc for me. They seem to have taken a lot of the drama out of the driving experience is the only thing I can think why I left feeling disappointed after numerous/longish test drives in both types of cars. That being said, I'd love to drive a GT3 or GT4 and I'm guessing my opinion would change on that. For less money/cheaper monthly payments than the 911 GTS I want, I can have a ZLE and a nice boat for the family so I haven't crossed that it is worth a 130k plus for one toy barrier.

I will say both local Porsche dealers I've been to were very cool to me. They let me drive whatever I wanted for longish drives without any snobbery/pretense. This is in stark contrast to some Cadillac and Chevy dealers I've been to. One refused to let me drive an ATS V of all cars going on and on about how special it was (so special it had been sitting there for months on end) and another refused to let me drive a CTS V. Chevy stores were better, but still were very hesitant on letting me drive a ZL1, but eventually did. I've never had that issue with BMW, MB, Porsche or Audi.

The ZLE is a near perfect car for me right now since it has such overall astounding performance/fun to drive factor on a relative budget. While still having usable back seats for my nine year old daughter and her occasional friend that comes with on occasion. This combo is going to be very hard for me to replace in the future.

Edit: Last, I usually don't give a sh%! what people think of what I drive etc. But, I have to admit it is easier picking my daughter up from school in a "hopped up Camaro" as one teacher put it than rolling up in a very pretentious looking 911/Cayman.
Same, I'm not one to care for others opinions of my vehicles. I proudly drive my old NB miatas to work and around town lol.

I'm a very big fan of Porsche in terms of the cars they build and the history they have in the performance and race world, as well as what they bring to the table to consumers. I'm just personally not a huge fan of rear or mid engine setups, but if I had to pick it'd either be a 911 variant or Cayman gt4. I want to like the c8 but the no manual option kind of killed it for me also, maybe eventually that'll change when no manual cars are offered and I'm forced to evolve.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE - GM cai, black bowties, suede knee bolsters, 1le plate frame, black fuel door, dark tails + 3rd brake light, euro side markers + led's, GM all weather floor mats, velossatech big mouth, GM strut brace.
Old 08-11-2020, 09:49 PM   #45
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
My Camaro will be the last manual I'll ever buy new.... Not that I don't love it. It is just a reflection of my age and the performance level of a modern "auto". My 4th gen LS1, I ordered it in auto as I knew I would be drag racing it....
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 10:05 PM   #46
ZRacerLE

Drives: The DSSV Twins: ZR2 and ZLE A10
Quote:
My C8 dream died with no manual being offered. Looks like I will have to go Porsche or somewhere else to get my MT coupled with a rear/mid engine layout fix someday.
That's hardcore minn. Love it!
ZRacerLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 11:09 PM   #47
oldman

IMO if the 7th gen Camaro remains a 2 door, it will be mid-engine, OHV with a manual and a automatic, with smaller tires and tame body work vs a C8 (same platform though).
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
Old 08-12-2020, 05:56 AM   #48
Bosse'sBoss

Drives: '16 Camaro SS 6 spd manual transm.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
But Mid-engine, light weight sports car.

I do love my SS 1LE and it is amazing (once you get the solid cradle bushings in the rear), but the lure SS 1LE performance out of a 3200lb mid-engine car is VERY appealing.

I know what you mean about a lightweight ME Cayman. Which was my dream car. I will answer it based on my experience.

I loved to track my 911 Carrera, it was a beast taking the curves, but I began to get tired of the high maintenance and repair costs for an euro sport car, mine had a MT. I replaced my Porsche for a new '11 Mustang GT 5.0 3.73 MT. The strong V8 engine rumble and power made me forget my previous Porsche 911. I did modified the suspension and it was ready for track attack, my maintenance costs went down Immediately, my car handled great at the track, felt stronger, but heavier, but still I was putting a fight to the expensier BMW M3 V8s.

And later on after looking for a replacement for my Corvette Stingray C7 Z51 AT, I test drove a Porsche Cayman S, which was my dream car. I Immediately noticed 3 things:
- I missed the strong V8 rumble noise and the stronger V8 punch of the line.
-The almost perfect PDK transmission which was very precise and fast didn't came close to the driver involvement feeling of a Manual Transmission, it felt disconnected like it was a video game.
-Very small cramped interior, smaller than my 911.
The car was very light and agile, but because of the mentioned above I lost the love for the Cayman. Instead I went and pick up a 6th gen Camaro SS MT. I'm still very happy with my decision.

I had the experience of test driving at exotic car racing at LVMS two mid engine exotic cars with a DCT and big engines: A red Ferrari 430 & a yellow Lamborguini Gallardo, at that time they were new vehicles and they were very amazing performing machines and very good looking cars.

If I had the $$, I would go and look for a used ME, MT with a big engine V8, V8 SC, 10 or12 cylinders exotic car, but you wouldn't be able to escape the super high maintenence cost, insurance cost and financing costs. The list would narrow to a Ferrari 360 or the very few 430s available with a MTs, 2005 Ford GT, etc.

In your case, You have an excellent SS1LE, maybe if you upgrade it to the ZL1 power you would have a bigger smile on your face and you wouldn't break the bank.

I didn't consider the amazing C8 Z51 which is a better performing sport car compared to any Cayman; because of its lack of a MT option.
'14 Camaro ZL1 w/. Recaro seats
'11 Mustang GT 5.0 w. track package
'02 Porsche 911 Carrera
'05 Infiniti G35 coupe sport

Last edited by Bosse'sBoss; 08-12-2020 at 09:50 AM.
Bosse'sBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 07:53 AM   #49
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Throttle House Vid on the GT4 and Boxster Spyder:

Old 08-12-2020, 09:37 AM   #50
oldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosse'sBoss View Post
I
- I missed the strong V8 rumble noise and the stronger V8 punch of the line.
My bro is considering tossing out his turbo flat 6 for this:

Just think stock LS7 at say 515 HP in a 2900 lbs ride...
Old 08-12-2020, 10:57 AM   #51
minn19

Drives: 22 ZL1, 20 Taco, 20 Cayenne S
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyBeefcake87 View Post
Same, I'm not one to care for others opinions of my vehicles. I proudly drive my old NB miatas to work and around town lol.

I'm a very big fan of Porsche in terms of the cars they build and the history they have in the performance and race world, as well as what they bring to the table to consumers. I'm just personally not a huge fan of rear or mid engine setups, but if I had to pick it'd either be a 911 variant or Cayman gt4. I want to like the c8 but the no manual option kind of killed it for me also, maybe eventually that'll change when no manual cars are offered and I'm forced to evolve.
I don't have a lot of experience with mid/rear engine layout cars so maybe I to would develop that opinion over time. I do like the lighter weight of the Porsches after driving fairly heavier sports cars now for the past 5 years or so (M3/4, GT350s, ZLE).

The other things that worry me is I've really grown to love V8s in either NA or FI form etc. I'm not sure how I'd like the current Porsche offerings. But, I'd probably do this as an add to the ZLE and not a replacement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZRacerLE View Post
That's hardcore minn. Love it!
It isn't a purist thing, but more of an enjoyment thing. Every time I've gone away from a manual to a DCT or some other shifts faster than a blink of the eye yada yada transmission, I've been bored with them a few months in to owning them. I completely get why people like them and get them as they amazing pieces of tech, but they just aren't for me in my fun/semi DD car.
minn19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 11:02 AM   #52
minn19

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post
My Camaro will be the last manual I'll ever buy new.... Not that I don't love it. It is just a reflection of my age and the performance level of a modern "auto". My 4th gen LS1, I ordered it in auto as I knew I would be drag racing it....
Drag racing I totally get. I'm guessing/hoping that by the time it becomes physically to much of a pain for me to drive a manual............everything will be electric etc anyway so the point will be mute by then.
Old 08-12-2020, 11:37 AM   #53
RobbyBeefcake87

Quote:
I don't have a lot of experience with mid/rear engine layout cars so maybe I to would develop that opinion over time. I do like the lighter weight of the Porsches after driving fairly heavier sports cars now for the past 5 years or so (M3/4, GT350s, ZLE).

The other things that worry me is I've really grown to love V8s in either NA or FI form etc. I'm not sure how I'd like the current Porsche offerings. But, I'd probably do this as an add to the ZLE and not a replacement.

It isn't a purist thing, but more of an enjoyment thing. Every time I've gone away from a manual to a DCT or some other shifts faster than a blink of the eye yada yada transmission, I've been bored with them a few months in to owning them. I completely get why people like them and get them as they amazing pieces of tech, but they just aren't for me in my fun/semi DD car.
Oh the weight is definately an advantage on the Porsches, our cars are definately heavyweights, shoot even the newer corvettes are becoming porkers.

If you can swing it as an add on to the zle that would be awesome. Everything has its ups and downs and while I'm sure you'll love that 8k rpm Porsche screamer, you'll probably miss that down low grunt and not having to live about 5k rpm to have fun. I assume you would go with the pdk instead of the m6 which would probably alleviate that since it'll have more aggressive gearing compared to the long m6 gearing. I hear people complaining about the long m6 gearing. Which I don't mind on our cars, but I supposed on a high rpm low torque engine it can less fun.

Either way. The Cayman gt4 is probably the best handling best chassis track car one can get so you can't go wrong with it, especially a track guy like yourself.
Old 08-12-2020, 11:47 AM   #54
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post
Throttle House Vid on the GT4 and Boxster Spyder:

Great review. Exactly the experience I am looking for.

Their 3 issues for me would be non-issues because I would go for the PDK version and would get the 18 way adjustable seats, not the carbon buckets. Also I have the Corsa Extreme Cat-back with secondary cat delete and no valves on my car now, so I can't imagine the noise levels are any higher than that.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 12:12 PM   #55
minn19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyBeefcake87 View Post
Oh the weight is definately an advantage on the Porsches, our cars are definately heavyweights, shoot even the newer corvettes are becoming porkers.

If you can swing it as an add on to the zle that would be awesome. Everything has its ups and downs and while I'm sure you'll love that 8k rpm Porsche screamer, you'll probably miss that down low grunt and not having to live about 5k rpm to have fun. I assume you would go with the pdk instead of the m6 which would probably alleviate that since it'll have more aggressive gearing compared to the long m6 gearing. I hear people complaining about the long m6 gearing. Which I don't mind on our cars, but I supposed on a high rpm low torque engine it can less fun.

Either way. The Cayman gt4 is probably the best handling best chassis track car one can get so you can't go wrong with it, especially a track guy like yourself.
I turn 50 in a few years and the ZLE should be paid off. If there is a manual version of GT4 Cayman (or a nice used one) then that would be a nice little stable mate. As good as the PDK is, I think I'd still stay with the manual.
Old 08-12-2020, 12:13 PM   #56
oldman

Quote:
Drag racing I totally get. I'm guessing/hoping that by the time it becomes physically to much of a pain for me to drive a manual............everything will be electric etc anyway so the point will be mute by then.
The V8 is just as light as the flat 6 when all is said and done, especially on my Bro's car since he has an aftermarket turbo setup, so it really is NOT a drag race package.

He is for you electric guys, be prepared to be surprised.
http://vonnen.com/performance-metrics/

http://vonnen.com/photo-gallery/#lightbox[group-20672]/12/