Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 07-28-2019, 09:20 AM   #1
H(.)(.)ters

Drives: 2SS - Black
ProCharger D1X and mystery squeak

I had my 2016 2SS fitted with the ProCharger D1X kit with TiAL Racing BOV last year by Horsepower Solutions in Newport News, VA. Car was tuned by Josh Tonski and runs great as my daily driver. It’s been over a year and I can’t figure out why my car makes this little squeak at slow speeds whenever lifting off the gas pedal. It only happens when the weather is mostly humid and above 90 degrees. In the fall and cooler months, there is no squeak at all.

Have any of you all experienced anything like this? Attaching link to YouTube video for reference. The squeak is very faint, so listen closely. Thanks for any input. I appreciate it.

https://youtu.be/N82S8zbpWiU
Old 07-28-2019, 09:36 AM   #2
NYblack1le

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
Can you recreate the sound when stationary?
NYblack1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 09:58 AM   #3
H(.)(.)ters

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYblack1le View Post
Can you recreate the sound when stationary?
Yep. But not consistently.
Old 07-28-2019, 12:46 PM   #4
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
I am gonna say belt slip. Have you adjusted the belt tension?

2017 Camaro SS 1LE - Procharger D1SC w/ Tial 2" BOV & Race intercooler / ARH full length catless headers / Alky meth injection system - 650rwhp on conservative tune SOLD
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 05:08 PM   #5
H(.)(.)ters

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJay74 View Post
I am gonna say belt slip. Have you adjusted the belt tension?
I have not adjusted the belt. How do I know it’s slipping? Is it hard to adjust? Any tutorials out there?
Old 07-29-2019, 06:57 AM   #6
Dysan911

Drives: 2017 50th Anniversary 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by H(.)(.)ters View Post
I have not adjusted the belt. How do I know it’s slipping? Is it hard to adjust? Any tutorials out there?

Of course while the car is off. Reach down and grab the longest section of the belt between the upper and lower pulley. Grab About half way and see how far over the belt will twist. I set mine so so that it's pretty tight enough that it can't roll back over on it's self past 90 degrees.

There are also notches on the tensioner as well. Procharger usually has a mark on one of those that they recommend you start off on.
Former Ride: 17 Camaro 2SS, M6 - Fifty | Procharger P1SC | 3.7 Pulley | Stage 2 IC | Race Bypass | DSX FF Kit | JRE Custom E85 Flex Fuel Tune | LT4 Fuel System | JMS Voltage Booster | MSD Plug Wires | American Racing 1-7/8's LT Headers Full System Catback | Baro Breakout Harness | LT4 Map Sensor | Katech Ported TB | MMS Oil Catch Can | 160 Thermo | Solo Performance J-Pipes

Dysan911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 07:21 AM   #7
95 imp
Dumb Ass Deluxe

Drives: A Tricked Out Mountain Bike
Try a can of belt dressing if the belt isn't loose.
95 imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 06:02 PM   #8
H(.)(.)ters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysan911 View Post
Of course while the car is off. Reach down and grab the longest section of the belt between the upper and lower pulley. Grab About half way and see how far over the belt will twist. I set mine so so that it's pretty tight enough that it can't roll back over on it's self past 90 degrees.

There are also notches on the tensioner as well. Procharger usually has a mark on one of those that they recommend you start off on.
Got any pics or vids to use as reference?
Old 07-29-2019, 07:05 PM   #9
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
my D1x sounds like an old pencil sharpener for what its worth the P1 sounded great...
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 08:18 PM   #10
Dysan911

Drives: 2017 50th Anniversary 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by H(.)(.)ters View Post
Got any pics or vids to use as reference?

I believe the procharger install manual also has a photo reference regarding the belt tightening as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Former Ride: 17 Camaro 2SS, M6 - Fifty | Procharger P1SC | 3.7 Pulley | Stage 2 IC | Race Bypass | DSX FF Kit | JRE Custom E85 Flex Fuel Tune | LT4 Fuel System | JMS Voltage Booster | MSD Plug Wires | American Racing 1-7/8's LT Headers Full System Catback | Baro Breakout Harness | LT4 Map Sensor | Katech Ported TB | MMS Oil Catch Can | 160 Thermo | Solo Performance J-Pipes

Dysan911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 09:11 AM   #11
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
If you have not adjusted the belt since the install then it will more than likely be belt slip. The belts stretch some over time.

2017 Camaro SS 1LE - Procharger D1SC w/ Tial 2" BOV & Race intercooler / ARH full length catless headers / Alky meth injection system - 650rwhp on conservative tune SOLD
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 07:07 PM   #12
H(.)(.)ters

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJay74 View Post
If you have not adjusted the belt since the install then it will more than likely be belt slip. The belts stretch some over time.
I have never adjusted the belt. The squeak/whistle started happening almost 6 weeks after initial install last summer. Is that normal? It went away last fall and winter and returned like clockwork around May of this year. I always figured that I would feel some kind of jerkiness with the boost if the belt was slipping. I just don’t know from lack of experience.

I was mistaken on being able to reproduce the sound at a standstill. I tried with no luck. Also, I tried to invoke the squeak 2 days ago in 70-75 degrees with no luck. But, today in 90 degrees I could make it chirp like a bird. So weird.

I will dig up the manual and see how to adjust the belt.
Old 08-01-2019, 08:50 PM   #13
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
mine has a chirp chirp sound like maybe the impeller is hitting sumting... but I've check and it is fine, perfect even. IMO the D1x just does not sound as good as the Ps
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote