Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

Bigwormgraphix

Old 09-06-2016, 02:23 PM   #1
samsumon

Drives: 4 wheels
Serious question: Why on earth do we have wireless charging pads?

I'm very curious to know HOW this got on the car. What phones actually use this, and use it without blowing up (recent Samsung). Also given the market share for bigger phones and them not being able to even fit back there..

Can someone justify this for me?
samsumon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 02:27 PM   #2
JACKPAC

Drives: Camaro 2SS
My S7 edge has wireless charging... although it's too big to fit.!
JACKPAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 02:33 PM   #3
samsumon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKPAC View Post
My S7 edge has wireless charging... although it's too big to fit.!
My point exactly... I'm trying to understand the logic behind this feature that we for sure paid for, yet is probably not utilized. Add to it, a phone cant sit there without falling off.
Old 09-06-2016, 02:33 PM   #4
RxSummit16

Drives: 2016 Summit White Camaro LT2 RS
Note 5 is a no go even out of case. The case for my glasses though fits very well and doesn't slide out even in hard cornering .
RxSummit16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 02:36 PM   #5
SCullen
Converts Oxygen to CO2

Drives: 2016 Black SS Convertable
It's worthless to me. My S7 Edge doesn't fit and even if it did, it is in the most inconvenient spot to get to. I would bet it was an afterthought usage of space at the back of the center console.

SCullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 02:45 PM   #6
HumanWiki

Drives: Car
You can pull the rubber mat out and a Note 5 will start to charge for a few seconds in a very, very specific position. But, it stops shortly after because of how difficult it is to hold it there.

It's just a poorly implemented design that I'm guessing when it was designed, was targeted at specific dimensions hoping more phones would fall in line.

Though, I'm still baffled at how so many tablet phones are excluded. They're not new.

Anyone out there with a 3D printer could make themselves some money if they could make an adapter plate that held more phones, slipped in where the rubber pad is and still allowed the wireless charging.
HumanWiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 02:47 PM   #7
samsumon

Which again, leads me to ask... Why the hell is this on here? It doesn't seem that hard to remove the feature and make that spot actually useful. We somehow paid for this, and I'd love to know how they justified it lol.. Anyone know how to get in touch with someone?
Old 09-06-2016, 02:48 PM   #8
Waiting46

Drives: 1981 silver corvette,Hyper Blue 2SS
its a low-cost gimmick, thats why
Waiting46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 02:48 PM   #9
HumanWiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsumon View Post
Which again, leads me to ask... Why the hell is this on here? It doesn't seem that hard to remove the feature and make that spot actually useful. We somehow paid for this, and I'd love to know how they justified it lol.. Anyone know how to get in touch with someone?
About a design question?

Good luck. You can call Chevy Customer service and talk around in circles.

Honestly, the best place would have been the 50th bash and to corner someone there about it that isn't reading from a script in a manual in a call center that Chevy out sourced to.

You can try Chevy Cust Svc here, but I've not found them to be much better. More script reading.
Old 09-06-2016, 02:49 PM   #10
MiamiBlueCamaro

Drives: Gen 6 Camaro RS
It's cool
Attached Images

MiamiBlueCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 02:52 PM   #11
samsumon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiBlueCamaro View Post
It's cool
There are several things on this car that make me question the designers and engineers. I love my car, but some of its more "practical" cues are...... Horrible.

Example, the USB port.. you plug your cord in and immediately the cord has to do a 180* turn. Your cord frays within days AND given it is in the middle, it renders most of the storage compartment useless, unless you pile shit on top of the cord, further damaging it.
Old 09-06-2016, 02:53 PM   #12
HumanWiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsumon View Post
There are several things on this car that make me question the designers and engineers. I love my car, but some of its more "practical" cues are...... Horrible.

Example, the USB port.. you plug your cord in and immediately the cord has to do a 180* turn. Your cord frays within days AND given it is in the middle, it renders most of the storage compartment useless, unless you pile shit on top of the cord, further damaging it.
How about the 98% useless door pocket location? That's pretty much in the side bolster of your seat unless you're sitting in the back. So, anything in there is inaccessible. The center console area is useless for anything other than your thumb drive w/o knocking it loose and the cup holders, while nice, are really your only useful storage area readily accessible as the driver.

I really wish the Corvette's drop-down screen had made it to Camaro.
Old 09-06-2016, 03:33 PM   #13
nbryant

Drives: 2016 2SS Red Hot
Yeah! Another thread of worthless complaining.
Old 09-06-2016, 03:36 PM   #14
LibertyHill

Drives: 16 2SS 6MT NPP MRC / 15 K1300S
Somebody capable please draw and print up a nice storage insert the replace both the pad and the charger below it.

Rohana RFX-5 10/11, M/T 275/305, Eibachs, Hellwigs, Hurst SS, DMS LT4 SC 596HP/589TQ, DMS Low-side, Kooks 2LTs, MBRP Race, Rotofab, MMS CC
LibertyHill is offline   Reply With Quote