Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

View Poll Results: Handling Performance or Straight-Line Performance?
0-60 and 1/4 mile 11 9.24%
Suspension Performance and Handling 11 9.24%
Enjoying the balance of both in the Gen6! 97 81.51%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-25-2016, 11:12 AM   #1
LibertyHill

Drives: 16 2SS 6MT NPP MRC / 15 K1300S
Muscle Car or Sports Car?

Now that the Gen 6 Camaro suspension has been improved to the point of achieving sports car status, I notice there are still many here that favor straight-line performance over suspension/handling performance.

I'm curious how we break down as an owner group here on this site!

Rohana RFX-5 10/11, M/T 275/305, Eibachs, Hellwigs, Hurst SS, DMS LT4 SC 596HP/589TQ, DMS Low-side, Kooks 2LTs, MBRP Race, Rotofab, MMS CC
LibertyHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 11:19 AM   #2
Richard0nee

Drives: 2016 SS M6, NPP
I know muscle cars died in the 60's but the V8 camaro will always have the "muscle car" stigma attached to it.

To me and to a lot of folks it will always be a muscle car.. just a new era muscle car that can handle!

Just me and my opinion
Richard0nee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 11:46 AM   #3
LibertyHill

Drives: 16 2SS 6MT NPP MRC / 15 K1300S
I agree. To me it is a muscle car that is also a sports car, and not a sports car that lost it's muscle car status. But I also lean way toward handling performance and have very little interest in optimizing straight-line performance.

Rohana RFX-5 10/11, M/T 275/305, Eibachs, Hellwigs, Hurst SS, DMS LT4 SC 596HP/589TQ, DMS Low-side, Kooks 2LTs, MBRP Race, Rotofab, MMS CC
LibertyHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 11:55 AM   #4
bruinmd

Drives: 2016 2SS Vert/Black/M6/NPP/Mag ride
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyHill View Post
Now that the Gen 6 Camaro suspension has been improved to the point of achieving sports car status, I notice there are still many here that favor straight-line performance over suspension/handling performance.

I'm curious how we break down as an owner group here on this site!
I think the motor trend article and you tube video where the SS shamed the F80 M4 said it all...............

6 years ago, the Shelby GT500 had narrowed the gap between American muscle and the Germans on the track, but hadn't closed it.

Fast forward 5-6 years, and it's a whole new world.
The Camaro SS, Mustang GT, ZL1 (when the next gen arrives later this year), and Shelby GT 350 have redefined what these cars can do, and therefore, what they are.
The 'gap' has now most definitely closed, and this is coming from someone who's owned 2 porsches, 1 bmw, and 1 audi.
American engineering has kicked some serious ass the last 5-6 years.

But it will take years before the average person who isn't a car enthusiast truly gets wind of that and sees these as the very track capable sports cars they've now become.

Just my $.02
bruinmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 12:03 PM   #5
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinmd View Post
I think the motor trend article and you tube video where the SS shamed the F80 M4 said it all...............

6 years ago, the Shelby GT500 had narrowed the gap between American muscle and the Germans on the track, but hadn't closed it.

The Camaro SS, Mustang GT, ZL1 (when the next gen arrives later this year), and Shelby GT 350 have redefined what these cars can do, and therefore, what they are.
The 'gap' has now most definitely closed, and this is coming from someone who's owned 2 porsches, 1 bmw, and 1 audi.

But it will take years before the average person who isn't a car enthusiast truly gets wind of that and sees these as the very track capable sports cars they've now become.

Just my $.02
I agree with this 100 pct. ,.....as a person who has retired from BMW corporate after 24 years , I've driven every car they make for 1000's of miles and a few the public has never seen. The new Camaro and Vette are def in the same league and BMW knows it too, internally. If the build quality of chev can come up a bit, they certainly will be on par with the Germans.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 12:17 PM   #6
SS17

Drives: 2017 hyper blue ss
I have only owned the car a week, but this car handles amazing, I took a freeway off ramp at 55 mph, and that car did not move, all I could say was wow, and I dodged a big rock in the road at 40 mph and not even a twitch in the car.. to say the least, its very impressive
SS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 12:19 PM   #7
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinmd View Post

Just my $.02
Agreed. Keep in mind that it has just been the last few years that the Americans have really started to focus on the "complete driving experience". Before then, although many enthusiast already knew that some of the cheaper domestic cars would run circles around their European car, it was the cheap interiors, hard plastics, etc. that kept them away.

Now that these car are getting more sophisticated in the cockpit, many are starting to cross shop. However, there are still those that cannot take the Chevy dealership experience. They feel that the dealer should roll out the red carpet and push everyone else to the back of the line when they come in for any type of service. They simply don't get that Chevrolet has a much more extensive line of vehicles, thus customers, and can't stand not getting their hand held during the service process. /sarcasm
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 12:29 PM   #8
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
You didn't offer neither as a choice.

Muscle car is a car with no sporty intentions i.e. Handling, braking or acceleration in the base car that then gets a much more powerful engine that primarily resulted in outstanding performance in a straight line. A base Camaro is still expected to perform well, handle well and brake well.

A sports car has two seats. Although the Canaro rear seat is more mingling than ever it remains a 4 seater.

But I realize I am holding on to the traditional definitions.
Old 08-25-2016, 12:31 PM   #9
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
This car has really made huge strides in this generation. The SS in particular is not just the poor man's Corvette anymore, it really has come into its own and is more of the complete sports car now, not just a muscle car that goes fast in a straight line. I think the quality of this car and really a lot of GM vehicles has come a long way in the past few years, but of course it could always be built and made better, which I think GM is finally learning how to do, slowly but surely. Bottom line the 6th gen Camaro is giving headaches and the jitters to a lot of auto manufacturers, including the Germans...not to mention what the V series Cadillacs have been doing for quite a few years now!

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 12:32 PM   #10
bruinmd

Drives: 2016 2SS Vert/Black/M6/NPP/Mag ride
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChrisLS3 View Post
Agreed. Keep in mind that it has just been the last few years that the Americans have really started to focus on the "complete driving experience". Before then, although many enthusiast already knew that some of the cheaper domestic cars would run circles around their European car, it was the cheap interiors, hard plastics, etc. that kept them away.

Now that these car are getting more sophisticated in the cockpit, many are starting to cross shop. However, there are still those that cannot take the Chevy dealership experience. They feel that the dealer should roll out the red carpet and push everyone else to the back of the line when they come in for any type of service. They simply don't get that Chevrolet has a much more extensive line of vehicles, thus customers, and can't stand not getting their hand held during the service process. /sarcasm
lol--this is so true, and I'll admit I'm going to be one of those spoiled asses who will miss the level of service I get from lexus and have gotten from Porsche, that will likely be missing with Chevy.

But I couldn't care less about the chevy badge ..........I'm not a label whore, and respect everything about what this car has now become and think I will love the hell out of it if I end up getting it.
Some friends and family have already raised their eyebrows about me leaving Porsche and not going back to BMW in order to get this car.
And I couldn't care less.
bruinmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 12:33 PM   #11
Posaune

Drives: Four wheels and an engine
IDK, might be an outlying opinion but I never considered the Camaro (or Mustang) to be muscle cars and to me they never will truly fit the (my) sports car definition. To me, they have always been pony cars. All Camaros, from the 6cyl, plain Jane, secretary model to the big block COPO cars and everything in between for the last 50 years.

The muscle cars were the big engine versions of the regular cars (Chevelle SS, Impala SS, Nova SS..etc) but not all Chevelles, Novas, etc were muscle cars.

Corvette is the sports car. I'd also consider the now dead Kappa cars as sports cars from GM in recent years.
Posaune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 12:40 PM   #12
Richard0nee

Drives: 2016 SS M6, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Posaune View Post
IDK, might be an outlying opinion but I never considered the Camaro (or Mustang) to be muscle cars and to me they never will truly fit the (my) sports car definition. To me, they have always been pony cars. All Camaros, from the 6cyl, plain Jane, secretary model to the big block COPO cars and everything in between for the last 50 years.

The muscle cars were the big engine versions of the regular cars (Chevelle SS, Impala SS, Nova SS..etc) but not all Chevelles, Novas, etc were muscle cars.

Corvette is the sports car. I'd also consider the now dead Kappa cars as sports cars from GM in recent years.
You have a point there too.

But when you think of the 6.2L 356 engine, exhaust note, muscular fenders/body, weight, it will resemble a muscle car.

I admit the 6th Gen from the front has sharp angles with a slight European influence.. making it look much more sportier.

So while it's not 100% muscle, it's about really 50/50 - muscle/sport for the 6th Gen. Also, I hate referring the Camaro as a Pony car even if it fits the category. Pony = Mustangs to me..
Richard0nee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 01:32 PM   #13
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
Number 3 has given the accurate and traditional definition of a Muscle car. However, it is used by many to describe the High HP 2+2 V8's from the three US manufacturers. Even Chevy's build URL address for the last gen ZL1 used the term Muscle-Car.

I personally don't see the Camaro as a "muscle car", it's a performance car.
Old 08-25-2016, 02:41 PM   #14
MattDinOC

Drives: 2017 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Posaune View Post
I'd also consider the now dead Kappa cars as sports cars from GM in recent years.
A moment of silence please for the Kappa platform vehicles (Solstice / Sky).
3000 - 08/18/16 | TPW 09/05 - 08/23/16
3100 - 08/30/16 | TPW 09/12 - 08/30/16
3400 - 09/06/16 | TPW 09/05 - 09/06/16
3800 - 09/15/16 | 4200 - 09/20/16
6000 - 09/29/16 - on Camaro's 50th Birthday!
MattDinOC is offline   Reply With Quote