Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 09-21-2016, 01:39 PM   #43
Posaune

Drives: Four wheels and an engine
Not worried about the Camaro being cancelled... as of now.

I am worried about that third shift added at LGR going away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin803 View Post
Yep, you will have no problem finding one to rent at Hertz

It is profits people, not how many units are sold.

By the way, the last I heard Ford profits were lower than projected while GM's were exceeding projections...

Yes, those numbers are not Mustang/Camaro specific but it is telling as to their different philosophies on selling (Mustangs=sell as many as possible, even if you barely make a profit on fleet sales where as GM came out months ago and said that they were moving away from that philosophy).

Is a car that has won as many awards and had across the board, "top of their segment" reviews in danger of going away?

I don't think so, if anything, if their profit expectations are not being met, then they may tweak some things.
You aren't making profits on 140 DOI for 6th Gen Camaros.
Posaune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 02:14 PM   #44
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Posaune View Post
Not worried about the Camaro being cancelled... as of now.

I am worried about that third shift added at LGR going away.

You aren't making profits on 140 DOI for 6th Gen Camaros.
This ^ you don't build that many vehicles unless you expected your volumes to be higher than they currently are.

But as I mentioned earlier, Camaro isn't in danger of disappearing.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 02:23 PM   #45
z06psi
The pot stirrer

Drives: Cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
This ^ you don't build that many vehicles unless you expected your volumes to be higher than they currently are.

But as I mentioned earlier, Camaro isn't in danger of disappearing.
People said the same in 2000 including myself and even Scott Settlemire. Business decisions can be a bitch sometimes. Ford did the right thing in making the Mustang a ROW car. I think GM should do the same especially in Oz.

Former cars
1995 Z28
2000 SS
2002 SS
z06psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 02:33 PM   #46
chain777

Drives: Slow
Quote:
Originally Posted by aestil View Post
I dont' disagree that things have gone poorly, but it seems to me the issue is not lining up production to realities, and not that it was the wrong approach to sell a better car for more money.

I feel like they just built too many.
They built as many as their business plan called for at a price point that would be profitable. The problem is their projected sales numbers aren't being met as inventory has been increasing all summer, and is now at it's highest levels ever since the introduction of the 6th gen. And we're heading into the slow selling season. There are over 28,000 unsold as of today, compared to under 13,000 Mustangs.

The discounts are beginning, and I would expect even more as winter approaches. Any projected profits at this point are being eroded the longer unsold units continue stacking up on lots or discounts start increasing to move inventory. It's pretty obvious at this point that expectations need to be adjusted in regards to production and price. None of this is good for profits. I brought up the correlation to this generation and the 4th gen earlier in the year when the expected sales surge for a new model never materialized, but it was still a little soon to make that call. At this point it does seem like history repeating itself. It doesn't help that the ATS and CTS aren't doing any better in the sales department.

I don't know what it is with the Alpha chassis. It's had nothing but praise from the automotive world, but none of that has translated into sales.
chain777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 03:04 PM   #47
merlin803

Drives: 2016 Summit White Camaro 2SS
I would guess that GM did plan for and would like to be selling more Camaro's but I think many people here are comparing apples to oranges when comparing the sales numbers to past sales numbers or Mustang sales.

They did make a conscience decision to lower their costs, make more profits per car and reduce the low profit fleet sales. That is a recipe for less units sold, period.

So, the only question that really matters is, are they making a profit? And up to this point, we don't really know but considering that they obviously couldn't have expected to sell as many cars as in the past, I don't think it is a great barometer to compare the sales to past sales or Mustang sales.

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2016/08/...-camaro-sales/

In other news, GM to launch Camaro sales in China:

http://nseavoice.com/cars/2016-chevr...920016383.html

Who knows but I wouldn't sweat it too much, selling 6000 units today is definitely more profitable for them than if it would have been a few years ago.
merlin803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 03:13 PM   #48
z06psi
The pot stirrer

28K 2016 cars still in the system does not equate to profits.

Former cars
1995 Z28
2000 SS
2002 SS
Old 09-21-2016, 03:17 PM   #49
merlin803

Drives: 2016 Summit White Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by z06psi View Post
28K 2016 cars still in the system does not equate to profits.
Never said It did. Just that comparing to past sales and Mustang sales isnt apples to oranges anymore.
merlin803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 03:18 PM   #50
Omar1

Drives: 2016 2SS Red Hot
eh, I got mine..
Old 09-21-2016, 03:34 PM   #51
JAZ

Drives: 86 Mustang GT Convertible
Ford is now exporting more Mustangs overseas than Camaros being sold in the US. If Chevy is going to continue on with the Camaro, you should begin to hear some rumors about RHD Camaros. No RHD may mean no future for the Camaro.
JAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 04:35 PM   #52
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAZ View Post
Ford is now exporting more Mustangs overseas than Camaros being sold in the US. If Chevy is going to continue on with the Camaro, you should begin to hear some rumors about RHD Camaros. No RHD may mean no future for the Camaro.
Most of the world still drives on the right. Japan, Australia, the UK, and India are about the biggest markets that feature RHD. However ...

In Australia, the total market is just too small. Overall, its about 2/3 the size of the Canadian market. Very little is going to get developed explicitly for them (and top priority probably goes into making a new Ute for the Aussies)

Japanese domestic automakers control more than 90% of their market (through August of this year Chevrolet has sold 363 cars in Japan -not 363 thousand, just 363 ... putting them in the same neighbourhood as Ferrari & Lamborghini).

And India is still an emerging market without much of an appetite for niche products.

And in the UK, I'm pretty sure that LHD cars are legal ... its just an annoyance for owners.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 05:32 PM   #53
z06psi
The pot stirrer

6-12 month wait in Oz for a Mustang right now.

Former cars
1995 Z28
2000 SS
2002 SS
Old 09-21-2016, 06:08 PM   #54
Red Chief

Drives: 2020 LT1 Black
I read an article somewhere that said 60,000 Camaros were sold in 2009. Transformers 2 came out in June of 2009.

If I'm reading it right, Camaro sales in 2016 are at 47,000 as of the end of August.

I get that Chevy expected the new Camaro to immediately put up sales in the same numbers as the new Mustang. They did alot of car magazine press for it but didn't spend a penny on TV advertising for the Camaro. They ran ads for every other generation(they're on youtube) so I don't understand why they didn't this year at all.

In terms of styling, it's like they couldn't get away from the AWARD-WINNING original concept look fast enough. The refresh pinched the upper grille, fubared the tail lights and started the evolution toward the current model.

At this point I think they should go ahead and close the upper grille, extend the nose out a little bit and open up the lower grille more. Sort of like this...

Key words being "sort of". If you're going to sell a car at an upper crust price you might as well make it look a little more exotic.

The nose extended too far out forward of the front wheels but if it was pulled back about halfway, leave the current headlights inset, and open the lower grille way up. I really wish I could render it!
Red Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 06:16 PM   #55
Johnwon

Drives: 2016 Mosaic Black 2SS, NPP, A8.
I don't think they will discontinue it with them just moving its performance up to the Vette's level and moving the Vette to mid engine over the next few years. . If they do, I am glad that I got my SS, because I love it and would buy it again if given the choice.
Johnwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 09:56 PM   #56
Cory0518

Drives: 2016 HyperBlue 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
So we blame Cory !

Sweet rides BTW
Fair fair... I'll take the heat.

Thanks. I think my car choices have trended upward over time.
Cory0518 is offline   Reply With Quote