Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-09-2016, 06:01 PM   #1
JRS

Drives: 16 camaro M6/ 18 ZL1 camaro A10
ANYONE WITH HP TUNER TRIED TWEAKING FACTORY TUNE

I'M NEW TO TUNING (SELF TAUGHT THROUGH TRIAL AND ERROR BUT NOT A WANTABE MECHANIC) AND PURCHASED A HP TUNER FOR MY 2016 CAMARO WHICH I HAVE ALREADY TURNED THE SKIP SHIFT OFF, SMOOTHED OUT THE SPARK GRAPH WHICH IS ALL OVER ORGINALLY AND SET THE IDLE UP ALITTLE TO PULL OFF EASIER. I ALSO PORTED MY THROTTLE BODY OUT. I DON'T HAVE A DYNO BUT FROM THE SEAT OF THE PANTS IT REALLY WOKE IT UP AND THIS IS ALL ON 89 OCTANE WHICH IS A NO NO BUT THAT'S WHAT WE HAVE AT HOME IN THE IN OUR OWN STORAGE TANK. I WANT TO TRY SOME 93 OCTANE AND SEE IF IT'S BETTER YET.

JUST WANTED TO SEE IF ANYONE IS TWEAKING THERE'S WITH HP TUNER AND IF SO WHAT CHANGED DID YOU MAKE. THANKS
JRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 08:30 PM   #2
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
Can you see if you can enable AFM
6spdhyperblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 07:19 AM   #3
JRS

MY CAMARO DOESN'T HAVE AFM BECAUSE IT IS A MANUAL AND ON THE HP TUNER IT DOESN'T OFFER IT AS FAR AS I CAN SEE AS SOMETHING TO TURN ON OR OFF BUT ON AN AUTOMATIC IT MIGHT. THE LT1 DOES HAVE DISPLACEMENT ON DEMAND AND YOU CAN CHANGE THE SETTINGS ON THAT ALONG WITH TURNING IT OFF. THE AFM SYSTEM REQUIRES MECHANICAL PARTS TO MAKE IT WORK LIKE AFM LIFTERS AND A AFM VALLEY PLATE THAT REDIRECTS OIL TO THE LIFTERS SO I DON'T THINK YOU CAN TURN IT ON WITHOUT THE HARDWARE AND A COMPUTER THAT SUPPORTS IT. I HOPE THIS HELPS.
Old 03-10-2016, 08:33 AM   #4
6spdhyperblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRS View Post
MY CAMARO DOESN'T HAVE AFM BECAUSE IT IS A MANUAL AND ON THE HP TUNER IT DOESN'T OFFER IT AS FAR AS I CAN SEE AS SOMETHING TO TURN ON OR OFF BUT ON AN AUTOMATIC IT MIGHT. THE LT1 DOES HAVE DISPLACEMENT ON DEMAND AND YOU CAN CHANGE THE SETTINGS ON THAT ALONG WITH TURNING IT OFF. THE AFM SYSTEM REQUIRES MECHANICAL PARTS TO MAKE IT WORK LIKE AFM LIFTERS AND A AFM VALLEY PLATE THAT REDIRECTS OIL TO THE LIFTERS SO I DON'T THINK YOU CAN TURN IT ON WITHOUT THE HARDWARE AND A COMPUTER THAT SUPPORTS IT. I HOPE THIS HELPS.
Thank you for looking into that. I have been trying to get this answer for some time now. I haven't messed with the dod settings i wonder if that will do it

Many of us here are under the assumption that the afm parts are in the engine. There is only one LT1.

Unfortunately not many people here are using hptuners yet. I sold mine but might buy one again
Old 03-10-2016, 08:16 PM   #5
JRS

IF YOU WANT TO TWEAK THE DOD THERE ARE SETTING FOR THIS. YOU CAN SET HOW LONG IT STAYS ON AND HOW LONG IT STAYS OFF AND AT WHAT RPM IT GOES OFF FOR PERFORMANCE BUT THE FACTORY DOES HAVE IT SET AT 3800 RPMS (PRETTY SURE WOULD HAVE TO CHECK) TO GO OFF WHICH IS PRETTY HIGH.
Old 03-11-2016, 09:56 AM   #6
6spdhyperblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRS View Post
IF YOU WANT TO TWEAK THE DOD THERE ARE SETTING FOR THIS. YOU CAN SET HOW LONG IT STAYS ON AND HOW LONG IT STAYS OFF AND AT WHAT RPM IT GOES OFF FOR PERFORMANCE BUT THE FACTORY DOES HAVE IT SET AT 3800 RPMS (PRETTY SURE WOULD HAVE TO CHECK) TO GO OFF WHICH IS PRETTY HIGH.
if by any chance you can get the AFM to work on your car, please please please, report on here.
Old 03-11-2016, 04:48 PM   #7
JRS

I DID SOME RESEARCH AND FROM WHAT I FOUND CHEVY IS GOING TO DOD INSTEAD OF AFM BECAUSE IT EASIER TO PUT INTO PLACE BECAUSE IT DOESN'T REQUIRE ANY HARDWARE IT'S SOFTWARE. IF YOU CHECK CHEVY'S PART LOOKUP THE 2015 CORVETTE WITH THE LT1 THAT USED AFM LIFTERS ARE DISCONTINUED WHICH LEADS ME TO BELEIVE THEY ARE ONLY USING DOD ON AUTO'S AND MANUALS. I ATTACHED SOME PICTURES BELOW TO SHOW THE SETTINGS FOR DOD (STOCK SETTINGS) WHICH THEY ACT THE SAME WAY AS AFM WITHOUT THE LIFTERS AND VALLEY PLATE AS FAR AS I CAN TELL. I HOPE THIS HELPS, I'M NO EXPERT, WORKING OFF WHAT I SEE AND READ.
Attached Images

Old 03-11-2016, 06:57 PM   #8
6spdhyperblue

Thank you. Appreciate the pictures too, they are a big help.
Old 03-12-2016, 11:41 AM   #9
jimmypop13

Drives: 2016 camaro ss
DOD and AFM are the same thing. Chevy is not going to DOD. DOD is just what it was called first, then it was renamed AFM. No parts have been discontinued, maybe updated or a new part number but I haven't looked into it. The AFM lifters are still being used and will be for a long time into the foreseeable future. This isn't just a software thing. The reason your tables say DOD instead of AFM is because it's the same thing. I've got an auto and the tables say DOD too. It's the same thing
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_Fuel_Management
jimmypop13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 12:37 PM   #10
08z51c6

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS - A8, MRC, NPP
So has anyone actually tuned a car yet? The only company I've seen offering a tuner with pre loaded tunes is Livernois.

Current Vehicle:
2001 C5 Corvette

Previous Cars:
2009 C6 Z06
2008 C6 Z51 PKG
08z51c6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 02:25 PM   #11
CAPerformance16

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS A8
We played with the tune on our stock '16 SS before we converted it to E85 and put the converter in it etc. We were only able to be pick 6-8hp from the stock tune on 91. Tuned fairly aggressively from the factory. Trans tuning is limited for the A8, and we are having problems getting our aftermarket billet converter to lock up. We have to download 3.0 and see what the new changes are.

On E85 it is a whole difference story, we picked up 33rwhp and 25rwtq from being able to take advantage of the compression and throwing more timing at it.
Now tuned on E85, CA Performance Test pipes & Circle 4C 3800 stall shooting for low 7's next time out.
CAPerformance16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 06:19 PM   #12
JRS

after looking in the performance 2016 book at the lt1 block I see that I was wrong about there not being anything mechanical on afm/dod because the block has provisions for afm/dod. Thanks jimmypop13 for your link because I like to correct my mistakes.
Old 03-12-2016, 06:29 PM   #13
JRS

If anyone on here has a hp tuner and has a dyno would they be willing to try tunes if we attach them on here, just asking. I know that people pay for this service but there might be a chance someone has something that might work better then some can tune. I can understand if no one wants to do this but I'm just throwing it out there. Thanks