Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 04-29-2024, 10:26 AM   #1
G2K
@Blackmamba_1LE

Drives: 2017 1LE
Tires w/ High HP Applications

Hello guys, its been a while since I posted here so I've lost track of basically all the builds and convos in here. I'm sure this has been asked before but couldn't pinpoint a way to search.

Anyway, I'm curious to see what people are driving around with for setups that are over 900rwhp and 900rwtq.

Let me explain... I have a drag pack... however; I'm not looking to race, nor want to be driving to car shows or long drives on them.

I know people suggest R888's but all I've seen is tires are super loud and rain performance is still bad anyway so in my view I might as well drive on the micky's. (Which I really don't want to).

I currently am on PSS 4s, had also the cup2's... nothing is even close to hold. I lightly press gas in second and the car immediately goes snap sideways.

So, I find myself just driving super slow and in fear of even overtaking another car since, basically can't press on the gas.

Anything new out there that I may have missed in the 2+ years of been out of the game?
Old 04-29-2024, 11:24 AM   #2
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by G2K View Post
Hello guys, its been a while since I posted here so I've lost track of basically all the builds and convos in here. I'm sure this has been asked before but couldn't pinpoint a way to search.

Anyway, I'm curious to see what people are driving around with for setups that are over 900rwhp and 900rwtq.

Let me explain... I have a drag pack... however; I'm not looking to race, nor want to be driving to car shows or long drives on them.

I know people suggest R888's but all I've seen is tires are super loud and rain performance is still bad anyway so in my view I might as well drive on the micky's. (Which I really don't want to).

I currently am on PSS 4s, had also the cup2's... nothing is even close to hold. I lightly press gas in second and the car immediately goes snap sideways.

So, I find myself just driving super slow and in fear of even overtaking another car since, basically can't press on the gas.

Anything new out there that I may have missed in the 2+ years of been out of the game?
I run R888R on the street… hate running a drag pack on the street. Others love the NT555R2 which I haven’t tried yet.

Honestly, get yourself a Smoothboost. Simply dial down the boost for street use and dial up full kill at the track. No brainer.
Old 04-29-2024, 11:29 AM   #3
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
It seems you're on track with those Toyos. It sounds like if you wanted to run on the OEM wheels, you could also try the 20" MT ET SSs, too. I've heard those are pretty good. Maybe some DRs on the OEM wheels are worth trying.

I'm not near your power, but on ET Street SSs and a drag pack, doing digs on the street just beat those tires up. I learned that they tend to ball-up doing that too much, and traction goes out the window (which I verified). Subsequently - the fix was just finding some clean concrete (e.g. my driveway, lol), and doing a minor burnout, which cleaned the balls-off, and traction improved. I still couldn't go WOT from a dig, and I still had traction issues from a 40-roll in 4th gear, but it was better than OEM GYs...

I think there are guys on Nitto DRs (King') and OEM wheels that like them.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 11:51 AM   #4
JSH

Drives: '20 ZLE
Quote:
MT ET Street R 325/50R15 w/26#

My Toyo 345/30ZR19 are useless on the road below say 60-70 mph
JSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 12:09 PM   #5
dreksnot
Served USN - Atomic Chimp

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
... you could also try the 20" MT ET SSs, too. I've heard those are pretty good....
The SS's are markedly better if rain. The R's will elevate you to a new level of "scared to death!" These would probably be the best for traction and driving here and there, and still be able to give it more throttle in-between your stop and go's, and go-more on the street. I've no experience with Nitto's for the street (but have ran the NT05R's at the stripe, which sucked (no hook)).

In excess of 1,000WHP
LSX434 | AGP 65/65 TT | BTR Equalizer Intake | Trickflow 245cc cathedral | BTR custom cam | Cortex EBC | n2mb WOT | ID-1700x | Brisk GR12S | RPM Lv 7 TR6060 | AGP's Triple 525LPH Fore Fuel | Monster LT1-S Triple | 4.11 DSS Proform 9", CF driveshaft, 1400hp axles | Hurst Line Lock | MGW Retro Short Throw w/old skool Hurst T-handle | ADM solid subframe mounts | Prothane Motor Mounts | Revshift Poly Trans insert | Moreno camber/caster plates
dreksnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 03:06 PM   #6
G2K
@Blackmamba_1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshinator99 View Post
I run R888R on the street… hate running a drag pack on the street. Others love the NT555R2 which I haven’t tried yet.

Honestly, get yourself a Smoothboost. Simply dial down the boost for street use and dial up full kill at the track. No brainer.
Hey Josh, it's been a while. I was just reading and catching up on your build which I see you're 3.0 now!

Smooth boost is new, never heard of that before. Will look into it. Sound like the boost controller of some sort.

I just love how quiet the Michelins are but its way to dangerous.
All I hear about the toyo's is how loud they are and last my OCD doesn't want Michelins up front and toyos out back,
Old 04-29-2024, 03:17 PM   #7
G2K
@Blackmamba_1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
MT ET Street R 325/50R15 w/26#

My Toyo 345/30ZR19 are useless on the road below say 60-70 mph
I already have MT ET'R's on my drag pack. Im trying to stay away from that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreksnot View Post
The SS's are markedly better if rain. The R's will elevate you to a new level of "scared to death!" These would probably be the best for traction and driving here and there, and still be able to give it more throttle in-between your stop and go's, and go-more on the street. I've no experience with Nitto's for the street (but have ran the NT05R's at the stripe, which sucked (no hook)).
Oh I know that feeling, when I was on my LT4 setup 700whp i got caught by florida storms on a 1:30 drive on my Drag pack... Manage to make it home, but I said never again. but then again in Florida it always rains in summer so you never know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
It seems you're on track with those Toyos. It sounds like if you wanted to run on the OEM wheels, you could also try the 20" MT ET SSs, too. I've heard those are pretty good.

I think there are guys on Nitto DRs (King') and OEM wheels that like them.
Yeah, I already have a drag pack w/ drag radials... I was just looking for something that doesn't make the car completely useless while on the street setup while also staying away from the noisy Toyo's.

Anyway, Afterall this time, it seems like the "best" option is still the nittos or toyos, and still will be not good enough on these HP levels but im sure definitely better than the Michelins.
Old 04-29-2024, 05:25 PM   #8
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Anyway, Afterall this time, it seems like the "best" option is still the nittos or toyos, and still will be not good enough on these HP levels but im sure definitely better than the Michelins.
Alas, the tire industry has not been able to keep increasing per-tire traction, so cars moved to AWD for very high horsepower applications.

One either compromises severely on the street beyond 700-ish rwhp by running crazy drag tires or slicks, or if not, adding more horsepower simply reduces usable accelerator pedal travel...

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 05:46 PM   #9
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Hey Josh, it's been a while. I was just reading and catching up on your build which I see you're 3.0 now!

Smooth boost is new, never heard of that before. Will look into it. Sound like the boost controller of some sort.

I just love how quiet the Michelins are but its way to dangerous.
All I hear about the toyo's is how loud they are and last my OCD doesn't want Michelins up front and toyos out back,
Yeah always upgrading something my friend. Welcome back to the board.

I think you’re better off scaling down the power a bit on the street and the Smoothboost is perfect for that. I usually run around 750-800 WHP on the street and the R888R is surprisingly good there (but louder than many would like). I think you’d like the 555R2 (NOT G2!) honestly and will give them a try myself at some point. But if you’re at 900 WHP on a Whipple 2.9, then you’re spinning it pretty hard and the drawback will be nasty midrange torque on the hit that you really cannot control…ask me how I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
Alas, the tire industry has not been able to keep increasing per-tire traction, so cars moved to AWD for very high horsepower applications.

One either compromises severely on the street beyond 700-ish rwhp by running crazy drag tires or slicks, or if not, adding more horsepower simply reduces usable accelerator pedal travel...
Agreed!
Old 04-29-2024, 06:23 PM   #10
JSH

Drives: '20 ZLE
Quote:
I already have MT ET'R's on my drag pack.
Both the Toyos and the Mickey's have terrible traction in the wet. Both are terrible below say 40°. But the Mickey's have much better traction in the dry. It all just depends on how you use the car.
JSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 11:15 AM   #11
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
I would go with the 555r2's over the 888's. Much nicer driving tire with similar traction capabilities.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 02:50 PM   #12
ZL1...SON

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1
I have liked my Atturo az850dr tires so far. I have never driven my car in the rain but have left a car wash and they definitely don't like water. I may try the 555r2s next... however, I am not a fan of the available sizes or lack of rim protection. Those are the main reasons I went with the 850s this go around.
Rotofab CAI, Banks Idash, AEM X series wideband, CSP 2" headers, Jet hot 2500 ceramic coating, DSX Flex Fuel Sensor, DMS Fender Tank, Velossatech Big Mouth, JMS Fuel Booster, MPI Billet Lid, Jokerz race port, 2.30" upper, 107mm Soler TB, 160°F Billet DMS, Big Gulp, LPE Big Bore HPFP, XDI +30, ECM & TCM tuned by Elite Tuned, Atturo 315 AZ850DR
ZL1...SON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 09:50 PM   #13
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Regardless of the tires, I recommend strongly staying out of boost in any degree of wet conditions, better yet, leave it in the garage if there is any suspicion of it getting wet....

Having said that, with what you have invested already, it's only a small expenditure (relatively speaking) further to get some form of quality traction control. I ran ProEFI on my 5th Gen, and it was amazing.... My street tires were the Good Year Eagle F1 Supercar G3's and I never had any issue on the street.... Granted, I couldn't put anywhere near full power down... It would dump boost, pull timing, or whatever it had to do to keep the fronts and rears spinning at the same speed.

There are other systems out there, but it is impossible to put full power to the ground on an asphalt roadway, not at your 900/900 power levels...

An option if you wanna harass with LEO's is the Hoosier Road Racing Slick I ran at the mile, with over 2000 RWHP. They are DOT stamped, though there is no "tread." Concrete track and I was still spinning at over 200 in 5th gear.... We loosened the traction control the faster we went to free up the power...

The trade off of big power is limitations on the street.... It isn't worth it to get sideways and end up wadding your car up.... I cant recommend a traction control device strongly enough...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 06:24 PM   #14
PeteSS2018

Drives: 2018 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshinator99 View Post
Yeah always upgrading something my friend. Welcome back to the board.

I think you’re better off scaling down the power a bit on the street and the Smoothboost is perfect for that. I usually run around 750-800 WHP on the street and the R888R is surprisingly good there (but louder than many would like). I think you’d like the 555R2 (NOT G2!) honestly and will give them a try myself at some point. But if you’re at 900 WHP on a Whipple 2.9, then you’re spinning it pretty hard and the drawback will be nasty midrange torque on the hit that you really cannot control…ask me how I know.

Agreed!
Interesting, it looks like a great product, but I'm trying to understand how it's working.

Having a quick look at the SmoothBoost website, all I can see is that it's electronically controlling the (previously vacuum operated) bypass. As we know the standard vacuum bypass is operating only at lowish revs (say up to 2000 rpm).

So to 'dial down boost' is the Smooth Boost now partially opening the bypass across the whole rev range? Doesn't that reduce volume in bypass rather than boost pressure? And what does Whipple think of this? Any issues for S/C operation/durability?
Eibach Prokit springs
Mamo LT1 Ported TB
PeteSS2018 is offline   Reply With Quote