Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

AWE Tuning

Old 12-13-2018, 12:54 PM   #1
RomanB

Drives: 2LT RS Yellow Convertible
Bumper scratch after accident

How much would the following repair be if I do it on my own to avoid going over insurance?

Thx
Attached Images

Old 12-13-2018, 09:37 PM   #2
Camaro_QC

Drives: 08 Tiburon GS, 2018 Camaro 2.0T
Is it the plastic part on the rear bumper?
1100 - 5/08/2018 | 3800 - 6/18/2018
2000 - 5/09/2018 | 4200 - 6/21/2018
3000 - 5/28/2018 | 5000 - 6/27/2018
6000 - 6/29/2018
Camaro_QC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 09:39 PM   #3
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
You can always try to DIY and if it is not good enough for you, then you can get it fixed.

Probably $500-750 at a shop.

You can try to:
1 wash
2 claybar
3 hand polish
4 machine polish
5 machine compound
6 machine polish (to polish the compounded area)

7 touch up paint. Good touchup paint from Dr Colorchip and or automotivetouchup.com
8 wait 2 weeks
9 seal and protect with your favorite sealant or wax.

In that order.
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 09:40 PM   #4
KirkH

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkH View Post
You can always try to DIY and if it is not good enough for you, then you can get it fixed.

Probably $500-750 at a shop.

You can try to:
1 wash
2 claybar
3 hand polish
4 machine polish
5 machine compound
6 machine polish (to polish the compounded area)

7 touch up paint. Good touchup paint from Dr Colorchip and or automotivetouchup.com
8 wait 2 weeks
9 seal and protect with your favorite sealant or wax.

In that order.
Oh wait- that's an RS, its plastic. You can still try to clean it up, but to be perfect, that's probably a replace job.
Old 12-13-2018, 09:42 PM   #5
KirkH

$191 plus shipping

https://www.thatgmpartsguy.com/oem-p...MtNmwtdjYtZ2Fz
Old 12-14-2018, 12:47 AM   #6
RomanB

Quote:
Thx Kirk and all others who replied. I hope to get an estimate tomorrow and then figure out what to do.
Old 12-14-2018, 01:52 AM   #7
KirkH

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanB View Post
Thx Kirk and all others who replied. I hope to get an estimate tomorrow and then figure out what to do.
https://www.thatgmpartsguy.com/v-201...omponents-rear

Looks like it is just held in with a couple of bolts and a couple of trim screws. Could be an easy DIY.
Old 12-14-2018, 07:51 AM   #8
bturner2

Drives: 2SS, Hyper Blue, Sunroof, NPP, MRC
I doubt any shop is going to be less than $191 plus shipping but best of luck to you. It's extremely lucky to be able to just replace the lower portion of the bumper.
bturner2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 07:08 PM   #9
RomanB

I learned today that there might be damages under the bumper on the impact absorber and reinforcement beam (whatever this is ...). Also the sensors need to be tested. If this is the case replacing the plastic bumper would not be enough. Repair costs could go up to $2000 if the are hidden damages.

I am not a car expert and don't want to gamble and I plan to keep the car for a while. Hope the insurance will take care of the repair.
Old 12-14-2018, 11:03 PM   #10
1hprush
2018 ZL1 1LE

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
I learned today that there might be damages under the bumper on the impact absorber and reinforcement beam (whatever this is ...). Also the sensors need to be tested. If this is the case replacing the plastic bumper would not be enough. Repair costs could go up to $2000 if the are hidden damages.

I am not a car expert and don't want to gamble and I plan to keep the car for a while. Hope the insurance will take care of the repair.
From looking at the damage, it''s highly unlikely that there is more damage. You will however, have to remove the bumper to replace the valance. There are vids for removing the bumper. I removed mine and replaced it with the dual exhaust valance, the bumper comes off quick and easy, easier if you have two people. I would post an ad about wanting to buy one, there's bound to be someone who has replaced their single exhaust valance with a dual. Fortunately, you'll be able to get by without painting it. Good luck.
1hprush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 11:41 PM   #11
KirkH

Quote:

If it were mine, i would take off the bumper and see if those pieces are broken. It looks likes 2 bolts and 2 screws. All of those pieces are listed on thatgmpartsguy.com. If you are going to get it fixed at a shop, it doesn't matter if it is off anyway. This way I would know if there really is damage, and I won't get ripped off.
Old 12-15-2018, 06:47 AM   #12
bturner2

Drives: 2SS, Hyper Blue, Sunroof, NPP, MRC
Test the sensors is another way of saying due diligence (which is good) and another way to bill the insurance for another line item. Are the backup sensors working? Is there any physical damage to any of the sensors? There you go, you've pretty much tested the sensors.

Everything depends on what your goal is and what you're willing to do to fix the issue. If your goal is to minimize cost, avoid an insurance claim and you have somewhere to work on the car then the next step is to pull the bumper. This will allow you to see for yourself if there is damage and if it's something you can handle yourself. Based on what I'm seeing in the pictures (and pictures can be very deceiving) I seriously doubt you have more than valance damage and am very doubtful you have any sensor damage.

If on the other hand you're looking at a cost versus PITA factor then it's easy to talk yourself into having someone else do the work. I do this all the time to myself. In the end it's all going to come down to how comfortable you are with working on the car, how much you want to spend and how much time you're willing to invest in fixing it yourself. Best of luck moving forward.
bturner2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 09:26 PM   #13
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Quote:
https://www.thatgmpartsguy.com/v-201...omponents-rear

Looks like it is just held in with a couple of bolts and a couple of trim screws. Could be an easy DIY.
This is great advice...
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 09:27 PM   #14
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by bturner2 View Post
Test the sensors is another way of saying due diligence (which is good) and another way to bill the insurance for another line item. Are the backup sensors working? Is there any physical damage to any of the sensors? There you go, you've pretty much tested the sensors.

Everything depends on what your goal is and what you're willing to do to fix the issue. If your goal is to minimize cost, avoid an insurance claim and you have somewhere to work on the car then the next step is to pull the bumper. This will allow you to see for yourself if there is damage and if it's something you can handle yourself. Based on what I'm seeing in the pictures (and pictures can be very deceiving) I seriously doubt you have more than valance damage and am very doubtful you have any sensor damage.

If on the other hand you're looking at a cost versus PITA factor then it's easy to talk yourself into having someone else do the work. I do this all the time to myself. In the end it's all going to come down to how comfortable you are with working on the car, how much you want to spend and how much time you're willing to invest in fixing it yourself. Best of luck moving forward.
Again, great advice.
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote