Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Phastek Performance

Old 08-15-2018, 03:54 PM   #1
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Upper/lower control arm bushings on ZL1 1LE compared to ZL1/SS 1LE

Other than the obvious of DSSV shocks, spring rates, sway bars, and the solid rear-end, are there differences in the suspension of the ZL1 1LE compared to the ZL1 and SS1LE for bushings in the upper/lower control arms?

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 09:29 PM   #2
JaxChris

Drives: '16 2SS GD1 MX0 NPP F55 IO6
Bushings? The ZL1 1LE IRS doesn't have rubber bushings like the rest of the Camaros. Either solid mount or billet aluminum replaces your rubber bushings.
JaxChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 11:15 PM   #3
TRZ06

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxChris View Post
Bushings? The ZL1 1LE IRS doesn't have rubber bushings like the rest of the Camaros. Either solid mount or billet aluminum replaces your rubber bushings.
It has bushing in the arms. The rear cradle is solid , but it still has bushings elsewhere.

Previous:
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
03' C5 Z06
Old 08-18-2018, 07:48 PM   #4
glenB

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro SS
This thread covers the part numbers, FE4/FEA share a lot of parts. The OP bought the zl1 1le handling kit (mentioned below) but sold it because of all the similar parts.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=522102

From Chevrolet Performance
"THE LINK YOU’RE MISSING
The perfect pair to the ZL1 1LE Spec Multimatic Lowering and Handling Suspension Upgrade System (P/N 84352121), this competition use† only, track-tested ZL1 1LE Spec Handling Component Suspension Upgrade System provides racers with front ride links, front handling links, rear upper and lower trailing links, and rear knuckles complete with stiffer bushings and ball joints to reduce suspension flex. The 71% stiffer upper and lower trailing links (compared to the Camaro SS), 58% stiffer rear link inner bushings, and an additional 4% reduction in roll gradient (combined with the ZL1 1LE Spec Multimatic Lowering and Handling Suspension Upgrade System), result in improved on-track performance lap after lap. For competition use only†."
glenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 08:35 PM   #5
TRZ06

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenB View Post
This thread covers the part numbers, FE4/FEA share a lot of parts. The OP bought the zl1 1le handling kit (mentioned below) but sold it because of all the similar parts.

"THE LINK YOU’RE MISSING
The perfect pair to the ZL1 1LE Spec Multimatic Lowering and Handling Suspension Upgrade System (P/N 84352121), this competition use† only, track-tested ZL1 1LE Spec Handling Component Suspension Upgrade System provides racers with front ride links, front handling links, rear upper and lower trailing links, and rear knuckles complete with stiffer bushings and ball joints to reduce suspension flex. The 71% stiffer upper and lower trailing links (compared to the Camaro SS), 58% stiffer rear link inner bushings, and an additional 4% reduction in roll gradient (combined with the ZL1 1LE Spec Multimatic Lowering and Handling Suspension Upgrade System), result in improved on-track performance lap after lap. For competition use only†."
Good to know. I will be starting with just the ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushing kit. All I am looking to do is tighten up the rear and keep it from wandering.

If I need to go further, I will go with the BMR rear upper control and trailing arms.

Previous:
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
03' C5 Z06
Old 08-18-2018, 09:58 PM   #6
F1FTY

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenB View Post

"THE LINK YOU’RE MISSING
Excellent! So aside from the swaybars, DSSVs/strut tops and rear cradle bushings, the only other difference between the FE4 and FEA are the front RIDE links. I wonder if those are worth an upgrade or not without going to DSSVs.
F1FTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 09:16 AM   #7
Motorvill

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
So has anyone fitted this ZL1 1LE Spec Multimatic Lowering and Handling kit on their SS 1LE yet? If so, what were the results and will it actually fit with our mag ride? I'm assuming this will alter the geometry for a higher roll center when lowering (compared to stock SS parts) as well since the ZL1 1LE can be lowered. I'm considering this along with either BMR springs or KW V3 coilovers and a camber plate for an autocross alignment setup.
Motorvill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 01:14 PM   #8
Alpha1BC

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorvill View Post
So has anyone fitted this ZL1 1LE Spec Multimatic Lowering and Handling kit on their SS 1LE yet? If so, what were the results and will it actually fit with our mag ride? I'm assuming this will alter the geometry for a higher roll center when lowering (compared to stock SS parts) as well since the ZL1 1LE can be lowered. I'm considering this along with either BMR springs or KW V3 coilovers and a camber plate for an autocross alignment setup.
One of the biggest points and cost drivers of the kit you referenced (see here) is to get the Multimatic DSSV Spool-valve dampers that replace the SS 1LE mag-ride dampers. These come with pre-matched springs and roll bars specifically for these dampers. Buying other springs or coilovers on top of that would defeat the point of buying the $5000 kit in the first place. You'd be better off just buying the roll bars on their own then picking different springs/coilovers separately.

As for if anyone's done it yet, one user here has done it here on a ZL1 which is essentially the same suspension as the SS 1LE. The kit doesn't alter geometry with the exception of having adjustable front strut top mounts for more negative camber and slightly different caster. All of the body-side points and lower ball joint remain in the same location as they do on the SS 1LE. Lowering is just resting at a slightly more "jounced" position compared to stock.