Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 06-07-2017, 01:29 PM   #1
glamcem

Drives: '19 RivrsdBlu 1LE ('17 1LE HB sold)
HowTo: C7 Z06 Fender Flares Install on SS 1LE (with ZL1addons rocker guards)

I decided to take some pictures and describe what's involved in this process as I was installing it on my '17 SS 1LE. The idea is to create and extension for the front splitter and having wider fenders to eliminate/reduce air drag with the wider tires/wheels for track use.

Combined with the ZL1Addons rock guard, it will look as a one piece molding.

IMPORTANT: Please take your time and follow the below instructions and as always use this guideline at your own risk.

In this installation, I used the passenger side molding/flare, you will need to do the same for the driver side.

The OEM GM part numbers are below:
23315197, 23315196
NEW GM 2014-2016 CORVETTE Z06 FRONT WHEEL OPENING MOLDING SET

and with the tools below:
  • Cordless drill
  • T15 Torx bit
  • 9/64" drill bit
  • Good quality utility knife
  • *Dremel tool (optional, this has been used to extend some of the holes on the fender flare, you may use a smaller drill bit with your cordless drill instead)

Remove these screws by using T15 Torx bit. We will need to remove a total of 4 screws, 1 at the very end of the fender line and 2 at the front (bottom and upper side of the brake duct hole) and 1 above the front screws that connects the extension on the plastic. The bottom screw in the first picture is where we will attach the folded tab. Before start anything, you might want to place this piece to get and idea and see how it will align

Drill through the hole when the this tab is folded

I slightly tightened the screw that goes through the folded/bottom tab and see how the others should align and mark where I need to cut through this plastic molding so it doesn't block the air passage.

remove the screw behind this tab/extension and drill through that plastic so we can place the screw that goes over this.

With the bottom tab is tightened, extend the the upper screw hole with either dremel tool or cordless drill. I removed and placed the bottom/reference tab for alignment a few times back and forth to make sure everything is aligned.

See where I am going with this?

Be very careful and take your time when using utility knife to put a hole in this

All 3 front screws are now attached with the cut hole

align the plastic piece, mark and drill another hole with a drill bit here. This is the last screw that we'll be using. Don't overtighten at this point as we will need to remove the adhesive tapes.

I decided to put the end of the plastic trim under the existing Rock guard. Since I used a small self-tapping screw to better secure the rock guard it will also help keeping the fender flare in place. Notice the self-tapping screw in the middle of the rock guard.

You may now remove the double sided tape plastics and tighten the screws

I also trimmed the front side of the plastic trim to create more clearance for the tires. With about a 45 degree angle. Be very careful and don't ruin this plastic

Before

and after:

Also slightly trimmed the rear portion so it is flush with the rock guard piece:

and the finish product

glamcem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 03:29 PM   #2
FNxR3DNECK

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Wow that lines up pretty much perfectly with the rock guards! I will be doing this mod eventually thanks for the write-up!!!
Old 06-07-2017, 04:07 PM   #3
glamcem

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNxR3DNECK View Post
Wow that lines up pretty much perfectly with the rock guards! I will be doing this mod eventually thanks for the write-up!!!
Sure! glad to be a help
Old 06-07-2017, 06:04 PM   #4
aai

Drives: '17 SS/1LE/PDR
thanks for documenting the work as always
Old 06-08-2017, 11:04 AM   #5
glamcem

Quote:
Originally Posted by aai View Post
thanks for documenting the work as always
Old 06-08-2017, 12:14 PM   #6
RayJay75
Z/LS

Drives: 2017 MikaRay Z/LS
dope I knew these would fit thank you for posting will be doing this mod someday as well
Old 06-08-2017, 01:28 PM   #7
SimMan

Drives: 2011 SIM Convertible
Send a message via Skype™ to SimMan
I've been wanting to do this, but I hadn't looked into it yet. This is a great help, thanks
Old 06-08-2017, 01:31 PM   #8
glamcem

You're welcome, I will report back if there's any rubbing issues at the track day tomorrow
Old 06-14-2017, 06:16 AM   #9
Corner carver

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamcem View Post
You're welcome, I will report back if there's any rubbing issues at the track day tomorrow
How did they hold up at the track? I'm definitely thinking about this the same time I mount the 305's up...
Installed Mods: 25% Window tint | Headlight, side marker and third brake light Phastek tint kit | GM black taillights with Gen5diy LED harness and bulbs | LED license plate bulbs | Gorilla lug nuts, black | GM 'performance' center caps | RS and sheild badges removed
Corner carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 06:49 PM   #10
glamcem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corner carver View Post
How did they hold up at the track? I'm definitely thinking about this the same time I mount the 305's up...
No issues another good thing about this mod is it's completely reversible :

Old 06-15-2017, 10:36 AM   #11
seanblurr

Drives: ZL1 1LE
Hey bud can you take a close pic of the self-tapping screws on the rock guards? My rock guards have come off twice so far at the track (thus hanging and flopping around held by just the plastic pop pin) so I finally just took them off... But with self-tapping screws, they would for sure stay put. Did you screw into the metal fender lip?
Old 06-15-2017, 12:59 PM   #12
glamcem

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanblurr View Post
Hey bud can you take a close pic of the self-tapping screws on the rock guards? My rock guards have come off twice so far at the track (thus hanging and flopping around held by just the plastic pop pin) so I finally just took them off... But with self-tapping screws, they would for sure stay put. Did you screw into the metal fender lip?
Yes, this is where I put mine (I believe it was 6-8mm or something). Since the arch of the guards itself creates some force against the fender lip I didn't need to add another one on top of that.

picture of the the fender lip in the rear since front is covered
Old 06-15-2017, 01:20 PM   #13
seanblurr

Drives: ZL1 1LE
Thanks, The double sided tape just wouldn't hold for me, so I will use some screws. Might use another towards the top as well.
Old 06-15-2017, 01:30 PM   #14
glamcem

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanblurr View Post
Thanks, The double sided tape just wouldn't hold for me, so I will use some screws. Might use another towards the top as well.
It didn't work for me either