Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-28-2016, 08:43 PM   #1
FASTJEW

Drives: 2016 2SS Summit White
DIY Cargo Tie Downs

I have had quite a few high performance cars in my time and it seems odd that most of them do not come with any good tie downs for cargo in the trunk/hatch. This is really aggravating since the desire/need to throw the car sideways occasionally would dictate this as a necessity and hearing that loud thunk because you forgot about whatever that crap was you had back there blows. Or driving around on eggshells because you are all too aware you have something in the trunk that can fly around.

So it appears that there is actually a few good places to install some eye hooks in the back to combat this problem. Just behind the rear seat there are two clips in the bulkhead between the trunk and the passenger compartment. I removed these and the piece of carpet they were holding. I then used a step bit to enlarge the holes where the clips where removed to 7/16". This allowed me to install some 6MM jack nuts in place of the clips.

After that I reinstalled the carpet and screwed 2 6MM male eye hooks to hold the carpet in place and act as tie down points.

These ended up being extremely strong tie down points and should be sufficient with any cargo net or bungees (I wouldn't go as far as using ratchet straps).

Next are the easy ones. Just remove 2 of the plastic nuts holding the plastic panel at the rear of the trunk and install 2 6MM female eye hooks in there place (these are still on order so I do not have an installed pic).

All of these can be easily removed and the plastic clips/nuts reinstalled in about 2 minutes. The plastic clips will now just press into the threads on the jack nuts.

If anyone is interested I could do a more step by step list of instructions, but this was pretty easy for the average DIYer.

Below are the links to the parts I ordered. Adds up to about to about $40 which is a small price to pay for keeping your cooler in place! And of course you can't just by 2 of any of these.

The installation tool is nice to have or you can make your own with some sheet metal depending on your resources. I just used a 1/4 thick piece of aluminum with a 6mm hole drilled through it.

Male 6MM Eye Bolt
http://www.amazon.com/Uxcell-a140925...ilpage_o01_s00

Female 6MM Eye Bolt - Or possibly a 3D printed version shown below...
http://www.amazon.com/Marine-Female-...ilpage_o02_s00

M6 Jack Nut
http://www.clipsandfasteners.com/Jac...e_p/a12999.htm

Friction Tool for Jack Nut Installation
http://www.amazon.com/The-Hillman-Gr...K91SXRJT1FM01E

Cheers!

Last edited by FASTJEW; 04-02-2016 at 08:56 AM.
FASTJEW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 12:32 PM   #2
FlightSoftware

Drives: '95 Corvette, '06 Mustang, 2LT RS
That's great. No tie down points became an issue when I tried to bring a cooler full of craft beers home from the store. Can't carry in the passenger area, nothing to tie down to in the trunk. Thanks for the tip.
Old 03-29-2016, 01:21 PM   #3
Luigi91

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Did you order the parts from amazon? If so, can you post up links to the specific items you used?
Luigi91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 07:51 PM   #4
FASTJEW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi91 View Post
Did you order the parts from amazon? If so, can you post up links to the specific items you used?
No problem, added to the original post.
Old 03-29-2016, 08:26 PM   #5
Luigi91

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTJEW View Post
No problem, added to the original post.
Awesome thanks! Would also like to see the female hooks installed once you get them. From the pics it looks like you may run into some clearance issues, but I am not sure.
Luigi91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 08:29 PM   #6
FASTJEW

Quote:
Awesome thanks! Would also like to see the female hooks installed once you get them. From the pics it looks like you may run into some clearance issues, but I am not sure.
Yeah, I figured if it's a problem I can get a few black plastic washers from Lowes to solve it. I will let you know how it goes.
Old 04-02-2016, 08:55 AM   #7
FASTJEW

Finished product...I can now drive "normal" with something in the trunk

I got impatient waiting on the eye hooks for the rear of the trunk so decided to 3D print some and they turned out nice and strong. I could make more of these for time and materials if there is enough interest.

Old 04-02-2016, 01:14 PM   #8
p2architect

Drives: 1963 Pontiac Lemans
Add specification info for the net, please.
p2architect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 09:14 PM   #9
FASTJEW

Quote:
Sorry, took a while for the female hooks to arrive and for me to get around to posting pic...no issues with them at all though

Quote:
Originally Posted by p2architect View Post
Add specification info for the net, please.
Had the net for years now. Wish I could find another one just like it
Old 06-04-2018, 12:56 PM   #10
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
Going to try a set of these:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hillman-Rea...ger/1000037695

Folds down flat - just need to remove the two screws and drill for M6 size bolts. Should be good enough for small bungee cord to keep things from flying around.

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 02:02 PM   #11
red_johnny

Drives: 2016 Gray 2SS M6
Nice project. I like it!
red_johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 05:17 PM   #12
h018871
Geoff

Drives: 2020 ZL1 Green
Great idea, thx OP