Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 11-29-2023, 08:11 AM   #1
RayKinStL

Drives: 2022 LT1
Kill Switch - Your Thoughts?

So I follow this community as well as the reddit Camaro community. Been seeing a lot of posts lately about new Camaros (23 and 24s) being stolen. In every thread the idea of a kill switch seems to come up. Just curious about the thoughts on that around here? Do you use one?

I see a lot of people talk highly about Ravelco, but looking at their site, I can't seem to find any local seller/installer that I could get more info from on pricing and timing. I live in the Saint Louis area.

But yea, just want to start a conversation about car security and for those of us unlucky enough to have garages, what is being done, if anything, to extra insure the security of your vehicle.
Old 11-29-2023, 08:35 AM   #2
FlukeSS

Drives: 2020 Camaro 2SS A10
Nope,

Absolutely not. Onstar can cut the power to your vehicle, and there is a level of human interaction involved, no need for a kill switch.

And what you don't know about the kill switch idea can be seen at this link:

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=620938

And don't let some of the posts from the community detour you as to just how dangerous this idea is and can be.

It is not limited to just a kill switch, they will have the right to use listening devices from your cell phones, which is an invasion of privacy.

The determination of such kill switches are to be AI controlled, NOT on a case by case human touch.

If you had to swerve to avoid a squirrel crossing the road (Or in my case I had to hard swerve at 65 mph to avoid hitting a construction barrel that a construction truck threw across 3 lanes on the high way, and then swerve back to avoid a second construction barrel) The AI can trigger a drunk driving incident turn off your car at high speed, which can result in a crash, or even death.

As others have said in the above thread, I will disable that crap first chance I get. And because this so called bill passed already, all 2026+ vehicles will come equipped with such kill switches.
2020 Camaro 2SS A10 | Rebuilt by: CBI Street Cars | 2" SE LT Headers | 3" SE X-Pipe | 3" MBRP Axle-Back | Pri & Sec Cat Deletes | K&N Typhoon CAI | LT2 Ported | 95mm ZR1 TB | DOD Delete | BTR Stage I Cam | ECM, TCM & E85 |Tuned by: Shane Hinds | Dyno: 510 rwhp 472 rwtq
FlukeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 08:43 AM   #3
Dynamical

Drives: 2022 Camaro LT1 A10
When the government is behind something, what can go wrong? Everything they touch, turns to gold.

2022 Camaro LT1 A10 - Drag Pack/AxleBack -11.849@118.67MPH/1.798 60'
2001 Camaro SS A4 - HCI/Stall/Bolt-on/Gear/Tune/DR/Diet - 429HP/392TQ - 10.99@123.58MPH/1.584 60'
1998 Camaro Z28 A4 - Bolt-on
1999 Camaro Z28 A4 - Stock

FJB
Dynamical is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 08:45 AM   #4
FlukeSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamical View Post
When the government is behind something, what can go wrong? Everything they touch, turns to gold.
I stand corrected, please disregard everything I said in my previous.
2020 Camaro 2SS A10 | Rebuilt by: CBI Street Cars | 2" SE LT Headers | 3" SE X-Pipe | 3" MBRP Axle-Back | Pri & Sec Cat Deletes | K&N Typhoon CAI | LT2 Ported | 95mm ZR1 TB | DOD Delete | BTR Stage I Cam | ECM, TCM & E85 |Tuned by: Shane Hinds | Dyno: 510 rwhp 472 rwtq
Old 11-29-2023, 08:46 AM   #5
BundiMan
The Nights Watch

Drives: 22 ZL1 M6 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlukeSS View Post
Nope,

Absolutely not. Onstar can cut the power to your vehicle, and there is a level of human interaction involved, no need for a kill switch.

And what you don't know about the kill switch idea can be seen at this link:

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=620938

And don't let some of the posts from the community detour you as to just how dangerous this idea is and can be.

It is not limited to just a kill switch, they will have the right to use listening devices from your cell phones, which is an invasion of privacy.

The determination of such kill switches are to be AI controlled, NOT on a case by case human touch.

If you had to swerve to avoid a squirrel crossing the road (Or in my case I had to hard swerve at 65 mph to avoid hitting a construction barrel that a construction truck threw across 3 lanes on the high way, and then swerve back to avoid a second construction barrel) The AI can trigger a drunk driving incident turn off your car at high speed, which can result in a crash, or even death.
I don't think you read the OPs questions. They are asking about installing a manual killswitch in the car so it can't be started by thieves. Not giving the government the ability to kill the car.

Also, OnStars ability to kill the car is crap. Thieves disable OnStar shortly after taking the car to eliminate the tracking and disabling of the vehicle.

Some people have installed kill switches but I would say its the minority of owners. The company you suggested is the only one I would use if I installed one in my car.
TPW 8/23 24 Jul 2021
3400 30 Jul 2021
3800 26 Aug 2021
4000 1 Sep 2021
6000 14 Sep 2021
57 Days from accepted order to delivery.
19 Days from build to delivery.
BundiMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 08:50 AM   #6
Jetrep

Drives: ZL1 1LE, bolt, scary flatbed, hhr,
Hello
I looked into the Ravelco but wasn't super excited about getting my wire harness cut / spliced in multiple areas that would kill the warranty and potentially cause issues at a later date if the quality of the parts or install was sub-par. Also seemed a bit pricey for a simple kill switch. Luckily my car is inside and not driven much but I still have the auto-lock feature disabled and my keys stored in a faraday case to prevent relay attacks. I also park another car just outside of the garage so its one more thing for a thief to deal with.

I think if a bad guy wants the car they will get it. Best you can do is make it as hard as possible by blocking your car in and adding physical barriers such as a wheel lock and / or a kill switch. I've not seen any one product that is significantly better than others so whatever you chose will come with managing it which could become a pita.

oh....and I absolutely hate thieves and I would end up in prison after I 2a'd their ass if I saw anyone trying to make a move with my baby
Jetrep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 09:01 AM   #7
Evergreen6

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS
Wow, this disassembled quickly.

The first important step is, if you have to park outside - lots of people do - make sure you're locking your doors, not leaving things inside the vehicle (including any garage remotes, house keys, etc for those that park outside but have a garage). Try not to be a target.

I don't think a kill switch is a bad idea. The olden days of taking the coil wire or swapping around some plug wires so a dumb thief can't start the car is the same idea.

The batteries in these things are in the trunk. I wonder if there's a way to wire a remote relay/solenoid that disconnects the battery via a remote you carry with your key. Meanwhile you could install a small 12v memory saving device farther up to save electronic settings, but not enough juice to actually start the car.
Evergreen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 09:44 AM   #8
Dynamical

Quote:
I stand corrected, please disregard everything I said in my previous.
Too late. I have contacted big brother and you will be brought to the re-education center. You have not received the proper brainwashing. Repeat after me...2+2 = 5 and the government cares about your car being stolen. It's for your own good.

2001 Camaro SS A4 - HCI/Stall/Bolt-on/Gear/Tune/DR/Diet - 429HP/392TQ - 10.99@123.58MPH/1.584 60'

FJB
Old 11-29-2023, 09:45 AM   #9
FlukeSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BundiMan View Post
I don't think you read the OPs questions. They are asking about installing a manual killswitch in the car so it can't be started by thieves. Not giving the government the ability to kill the car.

Also, OnStars ability to kill the car is crap. Thieves disable OnStar shortly after taking the car to eliminate the tracking and disabling of the vehicle.

Some people have installed kill switches but I would say its the minority of owners. The company you suggested is the only one I would use if I installed one in my car.
He won't have a choice in 2026, but otherwise manual knock yourself out. But as mentioned Onstar can track, manage electrical, and disable your car if it is stolen
Old 11-29-2023, 09:50 AM   #10
FlukeSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamical View Post
Too late. I have contacted big brother and you will be brought to the re-education center. You have not received the proper brainwashing. Repeat after me...2+2 = 5 and the government cares about your car being stolen. It's for your own good.
Old 11-29-2023, 10:06 AM   #11
Jetrep

Drives: ZL1 1LE, bolt, scary flatbed, hhr,
the auto lock / un lock feature (I think this is the name for it) is where you can walk up to your locked car with the key fob in your pocket and push the silver button on the handle to un lock the car.

the relay attack uses a computer to fool the car that a bad guy is holding a key fob. This setting can be disabled in where you need to push the un lock button on the key fob to unlock the car.
Jetrep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 10:09 AM   #12
CalgaryZL1

Drives: 2020 Chevy Camaro ZL1
I’m just wondering if anyone did fuel pump or starter cut off switch hidden in the cab and if so how they went about wiring it? Like at the pump/starter or at the fuse box. I haven’t found any good info on the 6th camaro specifically
CalgaryZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 10:17 AM   #13
Dynamical

Quote:
Attached Images

FJB
Old 11-29-2023, 11:03 AM   #14
ChibbMD

Drives: 2022 SS 1LE
A couple thoughts. 1) I installed my own GPS tracker. 2) If you have a throttle control unit (like Soler), there is an option to lock the throttle so it won't function. If you have it installed in Bluetooth only mode (no push button controller on the dash), you could always lock the throttle when leaving the car using your phone.
ChibbMD is offline   Reply With Quote