2021 zl1 6spd review

Everyone talks a lot about the a10.
Like to hear everyone thoughts on zl1 6spd non 1le
Thanks
Heatseeker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 11:28 AM   #2
CW3SF

Drives: 2019 Chevy Camaro ZL1 M6
I love the M6. To me that’s where the fun is. These manual cars have computer aided No Lift Shift programming. When executed properly you don’t even feel the car slow down between shifts like you do I a traditional manual. There are threads here where both transmissions were tested on a road course and the difference in times were very minimal.
Kong Stage X Port, NW103, LPE HPFP, XDI +30 Injectors, ARH Headers, Flex Fuel, JMS Booster, AWE Touring, Elite E2-X CC. Stock heads, stock cam, stock pulleys: Tuned by KingLT1. 740whp Uncorrected on e50
CW3SF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 01:05 PM   #3
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
It depends on if you want to change gears or not! A ZL1 with the M6 was what I was looking for when I was ready to purchase one. I like a manual trans and all the Camaros that I have owned since 1982 have been manuals. The M6s aren’t as fast as the A10 speeds but I want to be able to control the shifting so that’s why I chose one. Like I replied it all depends on your preference as to which trans you want to have in a ZL1 because you are the one that will be driving and paying for it. Good luck.��
Old 04-24-2021, 02:58 PM   #4
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 2021 Corvette Convertible
Well, I sit here with a brand new 2021 Corvette convertible with its 8 speed dual-clutch automatic transmission and a '17 ZL1 M6.

The Corvette is definitely quicker from a dead stop but I have to admit it can get a little boring to drive. And contrary to what anyone tells you, using the paddle shifters to change gears is not even close to driving a true manual transmission.

My ZL1, on the other hand, feels big and heavy compared to the Corvette, but I feel like I have more control over what the car does. I'm more connected to the car because I'm constantly having to think about what gear I'm in and what gear I will need to be in next. The Corvette is essentially point and shoot.

I'm still on the fence as to which car is more fun to drive. Both have their pluses and minuses. If the Corvette had a traditional manual transmission option, no question I would have ordered it with one. To me, a manual C8 would have been as close to the perfect sports car as one can get.
Old 04-24-2021, 04:07 PM   #5
SJFGTO
Oh Oh it's Friday Night!

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE Nightfall Gray
The ZLE is already so connected to the road and incredibly responsive in handling and power delivery, that it is just tailor made for the M6. The gear ratios are also spot on and the shifter is smooth as silk. Not knocking the incredible A10, but for a car that just begs to be connected to driver input, the M6 just brings out the best in the driving experience.
2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE NFG; ARH 2” headers, catless mids, ARH full exhaust, Lingenfelter 18% lower pulley, ATI Harmonic Balancer, Roto-fab CAI, EE-catch can, TM ported TB, NX Lid, BMR strut tower brace. Aeroforce dual pod interceptor gauges. Tuned by Vengeance Racing!!! 644 HP @ 6250 rpm / 689 trq @ 3660 rpm

Four that wanna own me
Two that wanna stone me
One says she's a friend of mine...
SJFGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 07:34 AM   #6
SteveV

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Camaro 6M Red Hot
I have a 2018 ZL1 with the M6. Absolutely love it. Shifts so much better now that I have replaced the stock trans fluid.

Currently, I have just under 20k miles on mine (19,8xx don't remember the exact number) and I am thoroughly in love with this car. Prior to its purchase, I would waste a lot of time looking at car ads on craigslist and autotrader. But, I have not done so since getting this car.

Is it perfect? No. I wish the trunk opening were as large as my 5th Gen so it would be easier to get my golf bag in it. I am 5' 10" and over 290, so I wish the seats were a tad wider. Other than that, I love this car. Now that my warranty is up, I am planning some mild mods to get me a bit more power. And, I am considering a 2nd set of wheels and tires so I can take her to some track days.

But, I do NOT wish for the 10sp auto. This car is my toy. I never take it out of the garage when it rains or snows. A toy should have a manual, period. With GM stating their goal is to go all electric by 2030, this may be my last GM purchase.

But I love this car; and if you get one, I'll bet you will to.
Old 04-25-2021, 08:22 AM   #7
1hprush
2018 ZL1 1LE

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk02 View Post
Well, I sit here with a brand new 2021 Corvette convertible with its 8 speed dual-clutch automatic transmission and a '17 ZL1 M6.

The Corvette is definitely quicker from a dead stop but I have to admit it can get a little boring to drive. And contrary to what anyone tells you, using the paddle shifters to change gears is not even close to driving a true manual transmission.

My ZL1, on the other hand, feels big and heavy compared to the Corvette, but I feel like I have more control over what the car does. I'm more connected to the car because I'm constantly having to think about what gear I'm in and what gear I will need to be in next. The Corvette is essentially point and shoot.

I'm still on the fence as to which car is more fun to drive. Both have their pluses and minuses. If the Corvette had a traditional manual transmission option, no question I would have ordered it with one. To me, a manual C8 would have been as close to the perfect sports car as one can get.
Well said...I totally agree!

Memories:

2017 50th Anniversary Camaro Convertible (Sold)
2003 Dodge Viper (Sold)
2005 Lingenfelter Corvette (Sold)
2004 Mazda RX-8 (Sold)
1hprush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 12:46 PM   #8
VADER332

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE / 2014 Ford Raptor
Mine is not a daily driver so the M6 does it for me. Its still a blast to shift.
VADER332 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 02:49 PM   #9
Scottyz
2019 ZL1 1LE MY GOON

Drives: 1980 Z28 Big Red.
I love the 6 speed in this car. I feel it is incredible. I must admit at times I wonder if I should have switched my order to the 10 speed......that is until I take the car for a drive. It’s my only manual car and it’s my toy so I’m glad I chose the 6 speed and stuck with my plan when I purchased the car.
But I would definitely like to try a 10 speed.
Scottyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 06:46 PM   #10
Big Lebowski

Drives: 022 C8 Z51 Red Mist HTC
Quote:

After 9 Corvettes, and 3 1st year new gen Corvettes, the lack of a manual C8 is the reason I don’t own one. I am enjoying my M6 Vert ZL1 while I consider trading into a C8. Technically I have one on order, just not sure I’ll take it when my number comes up.

To the OP, the M6 ZL1 is a blast. Truly. I know many die hard manuka drivers who love the A10 trans, but I know I enjoy the heck out of it. If you know how to drive stick, and enjoy it...then I’d get one without hesitation.
Old 04-26-2021, 07:55 AM   #11
Trak-Toy

Drives: 2023 SS 1LE
If it was my daily driver, and only car in the household, then yes, A10, no question. But, that is not the case in my household as I have 2 other cars/ trucks to chose from with auto transmissions to drive. My weekend toy and fair weather summer driver is my M6 ZLE. I personally wouldn’t have it any other way. If traffic is heavy, weather is, poor, or I have a lot of stops to make, the ZLE stays in the garage. Having said all that, the M6 is this ZLE is butter smooth for me (once warmed up to driving temps) and with the active rev matching is so simple to drive it really is so much more fun for me that I couldn’t imagine not having it in this car. Now, there is a hiccup in this M6 in the ZL1... it takes a little getting used to because it is a little tricky at first. There is a built in hesitation off idle that takes a little re-learning at first to get the timing just right. Once you figure out just what this car wants as far as throttle input and clutch release speed, it becomes second nature and is just fine.
Trak-Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 08:46 AM   #12
NW-99SS

Drives: 1999 Camaro SS M6 - SBE LS1
Quote:

Spot on
2017 Yukon Denali 6.2
NW-99SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 09:13 AM   #13
LJS-ZLE

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE
I have the ZLE with the 6 speed and would not change a thing. It goes without saying that for street duty, unless you are stuck in traffic, driving a manual is much more engaging. For track use, the 6 speed is fantastic. Although I am used to heel toe downshifting, once I tried the rev match feature, I was hooked and never looked back. The no-lift shift is also a nice feature for the track. The issue that I have with the 10 speed automatic transmission on the track is that you don't have the same control over what gear you are in. Relying on the computer to do the shifting is pretty good, but there are times when I would select a different gear. For example, sometimes I find it quicker to accelerate out of a corner in 3rd vs. 2nd gear if I means that I can go to full throttle in 3rd gear early and without loosing traction like might happen if a go full throttle coming out of the same turn in 2nd gear. I also find that with torque converter transmissions, that there is a bit of delay on downshifting from when the paddle is pulled to when the lower gear is engaged.
LJS-ZLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 10:24 AM   #14
CW3SF

Drives: 2019 Chevy Camaro ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJS-ZLE View Post
I have the ZLE with the 6 speed and would not change a thing. It goes without saying that for street duty, unless you are stuck in traffic, driving a manual is much more engaging. For track use, the 6 speed is fantastic. Although I am used to heel toe downshifting, once I tried the rev match feature, I was hooked and never looked back. The no-lift shift is also a nice feature for the track. The issue that I have with the 10 speed automatic transmission on the track is that you don't have the same control over what gear you are in. Relying on the computer to do the shifting is pretty good, but there are times when I would select a different gear. For example, sometimes I find it quicker to accelerate out of a corner in 3rd vs. 2nd gear if I means that I can go to full throttle in 3rd gear early and without loosing traction like might happen if a go full throttle coming out of the same turn in 2nd gear. I also find that with torque converter transmissions, that there is a bit of delay on downshifting from when the paddle is pulled to when the lower gear is engaged.
I concur with this. The M6 is excellent on a road course.
Kong Stage X Port, NW103, LPE HPFP, XDI +30 Injectors, ARH Headers, Flex Fuel, JMS Booster, AWE Touring, Elite E2-X CC. Stock heads, stock cam, stock pulleys: Tuned by KingLT1. 740whp Uncorrected on e50
CW3SF is offline   Reply With Quote