Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 09-09-2020, 08:35 AM   #1
zaimer

Drives: 23 ZL1 6speed
All Season Tires

I'm looking to get some all season tires for the Camaro for the upcoming winter. I currently am running the OEM RF tires...which I can guarantee are going to be absolute garbage. I've had similar style tires on some of my previous sports cars and they lose traction at a slight dusting of snow. I had thought about going the winter beater route (again) but the wife does not want to look at one sitting in the driveway and it would be another gamble for additional repairs, etc. So that leaves me with the tire option(s) .

I'm stuck between getting a dedicated set of winter wheels/tires, as well as putting new summers on my factory rims...or just buying all seasons for the factory rims. We can have fairly long winters so I'm not sure I want to look at some (ugly) set of winter rims/tires for months on end either.

For the all season tires.. I have kinda narrowed it down to the beloved ExtremeContact DWS 06 or the newer Eagle Exhilerate. Has anyone experienced both of these? They are comparable for price. I would be open to other suggestions as well.
zaimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 08:41 AM   #2
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
When I had my SS Sedan, I switched to the Continental All Seasons during the winter. I found them quieter than the Bridgestone summer tires, 90% of the performance for handling and I had zero issues in the snow. Before I sold that car I was just going to leave the Continentals on all the time just for being quieter.

Some will tell you that if you are going to switch seasonally go full winter tires. But for me, I (pre Covid19) took several long road trips in the winter for vacation and driving in Florida with snow tires was not appealing for me, but just my opinion.

Big issue if you are switching seasonally is getting winter wheels as well, then you can swap your tires in the driveway rather than head to the tires store 2x per year.
Old 09-09-2020, 08:50 AM   #3
zaimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
When I had my SS Sedan, I switched to the Continental All Seasons during the winter. I found them quieter than the Bridgestone summer tires, 90% of the performance for handling and I had zero issues in the snow. Before I sold that car I was just going to leave the Continentals on all the time just for being quieter.

Some will tell you that if you are going to switch seasonally go full winter tires. But for me, I (pre Covid19) took several long road trips in the winter for vacation and driving in Florida with snow tires was not appealing for me, but just my opinion.

Big issue if you are switching seasonally is getting winter wheels as well, then you can swap your tires in the driveway rather than head to the tires store 2x per year.

That is one of my thoughts that is saying "no" to the dedicated winter wheels..how often would I run the snow tires when the all season are more than adequate?

I agree with the convenience of swapping tires. If I had planned to run seasonally, I would definitely have two sets of rims/tires.

My options will either be

~$950 package~
-20" factory rims with all season tires, I.E. DWS-06

OR

~$1,700 package~
-20" factory rims with summer tires (current OEM's will need replacing soon currently@ 3-4/32 depth) ($950 for new summer tires)
&
-19" aftermarket rims with dedicated snow tires (used I can get tires & rims for $700-$1,000 total)
Old 09-09-2020, 09:38 AM   #4
JSH

Drives: '20 ZLE
I just ordered a set of PS4S (technically a summer tire) and will drive them 12 months/year in Denver (not in ice or snow) except in the summer when I put the Supercars back on for the track
2/23 - 1031/1004 wheel.
4/23 - 1.41/9.61/145 at DA 7000 ft. (only made five passes).
2/24 - LME 390, E2650, FBO, 100 oct.; 1116hp/ 1063tq; 109 oct. dyno next.

Last edited by JSH; 09-10-2020 at 07:15 AM.
JSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 10:00 AM   #5
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaimer View Post
I'm looking to get some all season tires for the Camaro for the upcoming winter.

I'm stuck between getting a dedicated set of winter wheels/tires, as well as putting new summers on my factory rims...or just buying all seasons for the factory rims. We can have fairly long winters so I'm not sure I want to look at some (ugly) set of winter rims/tires for months on end either.

For the all season tires.. I have kinda narrowed it down to the beloved ExtremeContact DWS 06 or the newer Eagle Exhilerate.
You aren’t specific about your driving needs. If you’re planning to do a lot of driving in snow then the DWS06 is a great option. If not then many people find the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ gives the best summer handling while providing decent winter capability. Some people find the DWS06 less agile when pushed.

Tire Rack has a review that you might find helpful:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=241
Mark114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 11:09 AM   #6
zaimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark114 View Post
You aren’t specific about your driving needs. If you’re planning to do a lot of driving in snow then the DWS06 is a great option. If not then many people find the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ gives the best summer handling while providing decent winter capability. Some people find the DWS06 less agile when pushed.

Tire Rack has a review that you might find helpful:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=241
As I had said, the winter beater is likely not going to happen for several reasons; the Camaro would be my driver once the roads are bad enough that the bike stays stored. My office is about half a mile from home so the commute is almost nonexistent. So if there is snow I will be driving in snow . There is the possibility of driving through snowstorm(s).
Old 09-09-2020, 07:07 PM   #7
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
You can't use the run flats in winter because the rubber will glass phase around 20 degrees which you will see in wisconsin. Even at 30 deg they are dangerous. The tread is a secondary problem to this inherent hardness with the rubber.
Since you seem to be concerned with looks, I would get a cheap set of all seasons on whatever wheels you can live with for winter. Then get whatever wheel/tire combo you love for the other three seasons.
Temperature considerations aside, the stock summer run flats are also lousy in the rain. But I don't know how big a factor that is in wisconsin.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 10:15 PM   #8
Sev

Drives: 2016 2SS / 2004 Tacoma
I just put on a set of Toyo Proxes 4S+s. They look good and handle / corner well. If you're not the type to push the car to its limits, or track it, these tires are great.

"I'm going to drink you pretty, beautiful toad"
Sev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 06:36 AM   #9
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Drives: '21 Wild Cherry ZL1
I see you are in Sconi as well. I put on a set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+’s on my SS. Got to try them for about 500miles. Wet weather traction was excellent & handling & dry traction was pretty darn good. They looked good for a A/S. I, however, had no intention of letting the car see snow.
Attached Images

gtfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 06:41 AM   #10
Invertalon

Drives: 2021 2SS
When I take delivery of my 21 SS, within a few days I'm replacing the RF's with the A/S 3+. I don't plan to drive the car in snow, but we typically have many days in fall/spring where temps can be low enough that summer RF's will be no bueno.
Invertalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 07:25 AM   #11
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
If you need a little snow traction I'd suggest a Performance winter tire over an A/S. Ive come up short with the A/S in light snow and aill be using the Alpin PA4 this year instead. I've had a snow/ice tire and as some one else said they suck to drive on all the other days of the winter that you DON'T need that capability.
I really need a little more snow capability in those 5-7 days of the winter season that I have it on the ground. Usually I would just stay home that few hours to half a day it takes for plowing/clearing to occur. But I'm more concerned about getting to work and it start snowing and have to get home to the next town over.
An A/S is an excellent choice for freezing temps.
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 11:11 AM   #12
zaimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfoxy View Post
I see you are in Sconi as well. I put on a set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+’s on my SS. Got to try them for about 500miles. Wet weather traction was excellent & handling & dry traction was pretty darn good. They looked good for a A/S. I, however, had no intention of letting the car see snow.

Yeah, I think I'm going to go with the Michelin's. Too bad you were unable to test them in the snow..but they seem to be one of the best choices as far as having a "sport" tire that is tolerable in the winter. It looks as though you may be in the northern parts as well (based on the rock used in the driveway there ) I'm assuming you got rid of your SS for your current ZL1? My SS is yellow as well... one of my favorite colors
Old 09-10-2020, 11:16 AM   #13
zaimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteMale View Post
If you need a little snow traction I'd suggest a Performance winter tire over an A/S. Ive come up short with the A/S in light snow and aill be using the Alpin PA4 this year instead. I've had a snow/ice tire and as some one else said they suck to drive on all the other days of the winter that you DON'T need that capability.
I really need a little more snow capability in those 5-7 days of the winter season that I have it on the ground. Usually I would just stay home that few hours to half a day it takes for plowing/clearing to occur. But I'm more concerned about getting to work and it start snowing and have to get home to the next town over.
An A/S is an excellent choice for freezing temps.
I would have to disagree. I don't believe dedicated snow tires are "necessary" unless you are in a climate that demands it, or are simply not the best driver. We definitely do not have mild winters in WI but I COULD get by on performance summers tires. Would it always be fun? No. Would it always be the safest? No. Is there a chance you could get a little stuck at some point? Yes . I guess, to me, I don't see the justificaiton of getting use of snow tires for one week, while they totally suck for the other 51 weeks
Old 09-10-2020, 12:08 PM   #14
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaimer View Post
I would have to disagree. I don't believe dedicated snow tires are "necessary" unless you are in a climate that demands it, or are simply not the best driver. We definitely do not have mild winters in WI but I COULD get by on performance summers tires. Would it always be fun? No. Would it always be the safest? No. Is there a chance you could get a little stuck at some point? Yes . I guess, to me, I don't see the justificaiton of getting use of snow tires for one week, while they totally suck for the other 51 weeks
I think you should re-read what I posted.
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote