Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-06-2018, 11:14 AM   #15
Drsagacity

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS Nightfall Gray vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by L78toLT1 View Post
I need to talk to Ted, but I'm thinking I will probably follow Steelheadrob's lead and do the LT4 stuff now (already have the in-tank pump) and save the cam & pistons for a winter project. Even though I'm planning to retire in a year, I'm busy as hell in the meantime and my car will probably be down for better than a month for the internal stuff. May as well enjoy it now while the weather is nice.
Drsagicity, Looking good! I envy your access to a shop with a lift! Did you do just the pistons, or pistons and rods? Apparently you did just "drop" yours in as I don't think you had time to balance.

We did the drop in pistons only (no rods). My plan is to stay under 800whp (shooting for 850 at the motor)...so we feel good about this setup without the need to add rods and rebalance. If I decide to add more power down the road, then I would revisit the rod discussion...I just don't see that happening. You figure that at 750whp our cars are probably in the top 1% of all cars on the street. Plus, I don't race...primarily cruising, golfing and top down fun with the kids. For me, kind of how people handle motorcycles, it's about making it uniquely my own.

As for access to the shop, yes, that is huge. I got in with a really cool group of guys back in my Corvette modding days (before wife and kids)...and luckily, they agreed to work on my Camaro too. :-) Although there are a few things that you can tell...it's not their primary platform. . .for this job, they actually used two guys and then I got to jump in and help out:

1. pick up food or buy beer
2. clean car parts
3. Perform searches for those one-off non-Vette questions.
4. Hold the flashlight when needed
5. Find things they misplaced (like tape)

Still, I love doing this because I learn so much just hearing and watching them. It really is awesome...

2018 Corvette Z06 vert- Black
To be tuned by JRE Racing
TBD performance
Drsagacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 01:01 PM   #16
L78toLT1

Drives: Hyper Blue 2016 2SS 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drsagacity View Post
We did the drop in pistons only (no rods). My plan is to stay under 800whp (shooting for 850 at the motor)...so we feel good about this setup without the need to add rods and rebalance. If I decide to add more power down the road, then I would revisit the rod discussion...I just don't see that happening. You figure that at 750whp our cars are probably in the top 1% of all cars on the street. Plus, I don't race...primarily cruising, golfing and top down fun with the kids. For me, kind of how people handle motorcycles, it's about making it uniquely my own.

As for access to the shop, yes, that is huge. I got in with a really cool group of guys back in my Corvette modding days (before wife and kids)...and luckily, they agreed to work on my Camaro too. :-) Although there are a few things that you can tell...it's not their primary platform. . .for this job, they actually used two guys and then I got to jump in and help out:

1. pick up food or buy beer
2. clean car parts
3. Perform searches for those one-off non-Vette questions.
4. Hold the flashlight when needed
5. Find things they misplaced (like tape)

Still, I love doing this because I learn so much just hearing and watching them. It really is awesome...
It sounds like you're having fun in addition to learning new stuff, which is the whole point I suppose!
When replacing the pistons, did you hone the cylinders or replace the rod bolts/bearings?
2016 Hyper Blue 2SS/6m/MRC/NPP/Silver Rally stripes/ZL1 wheels & brakes/GForce DS and axles/ZLE Cradle Bushings/FE4 ARB front & rear/SEMA Grill/Rotofab dry/95mm TB/Magnuson 2300/Full LT4 fuel system/JMS boost-a-pump/E85 Sensor/Ported CID heads from LME/Cammotion PD cam/Thompson Motorsports forged shortblock/catted Kooks 1 7/8 headers /JRE remote tuned
L78toLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 01:04 PM   #17
Drsagacity

Quote:
It sounds like you're having fun in addition to learning new stuff, which is the whole point I suppose!
When replacing the pistons, did you hone the cylinders or replace the rod bolts/bearings?
Yes to all. Hone bolts, and bearings...gapped all of the new rings. The big thing was that the ring gap was crazy tight on the stock pistons...clear why there are problems with stock pistons.

TBD performance

Last edited by Drsagacity; 08-08-2018 at 04:07 AM.
Old 08-07-2018, 04:13 AM   #18
Driski

Drives: 2016 Camaro Convertible 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by laynlo15 View Post
He will be able to use it for sure. I did the initial install of the Supercharger and he planned it with the new mods to be able to drive it anywhere, then throw the drag pack on it and take it to the track. It should make over 700 at the wheels with ease.
Thank you and Drsagacity for the feedback
Old 08-07-2018, 01:28 PM   #19
chrest

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
cant wait to hear this fire
603hp/547tq

Last edited by chrest; 08-07-2018 at 02:46 PM.
chrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 02:58 AM   #20
Drsagacity

Well, the wicked ss is alive. Sorry, no revving, this was after the first start with the cam, headers, race pipes and pistons installed.

https://youtu.be/JX6b-ZPyPVE

TBD performance
Old 08-08-2018, 06:44 AM   #21
laynlo15

Drives: 2022 Lt1 A10
Your guys did a great job, 4 days from start to finish is pretty stellar also and probably could have finish a little earlier if you'd had the correct tank pump. Glad I could help with the initial SC install and loading your first tune from you HP tuners. Great build and that thing is gonna be a wicked piece. See you on the dyno in a few weeks.
2022 Lt1 6.2 A10, Maggie 2300, THPSI Port Inj/10 rib, Rotofab, E, Nickey, SCOL, Griptech, RC Bandits, Hoosiers/MT 9.80@142.96 1.44 60ft, 6.34@112 707/669 RWHP/TRQ. 16SS Maggie 2650 9.41@147 1.35 60ft, 5.99@119. 16 C7 A8 10.90@128 Bolt on stuff
laynlo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 07:24 AM   #22
L78toLT1

Drives: Hyper Blue 2016 2SS 6M
Quote:
Well, the wicked ss is alive. Sorry, no revving, this was after the first start with the cam, headers, race pipes and pistons installed.

https://youtu.be/JX6b-ZPyPVE
The Wicked SS certainly has a sound befitting its name! I'm sure it will have the performance to back it up as well!
I'm about to follow almost exactly in your footsteps for my next phase. I will probably go with the smooth idle cam though. I like the stealth approach.
I'm anxious to see your dyno results and to get your overall impressions on this setup after living with it for a while. Have fun and keep us posted!
2016 Hyper Blue 2SS/6m/MRC/NPP/Silver Rally stripes/ZL1 wheels & brakes/GForce DS and axles/ZLE Cradle Bushings/FE4 ARB front & rear/SEMA Grill/Rotofab dry/95mm TB/Magnuson 2300/Full LT4 fuel system/JMS boost-a-pump/E85 Sensor/Ported CID heads from LME/Cammotion PD cam/Thompson Motorsports forged shortblock/catted Kooks 1 7/8 headers /JRE remote tuned
L78toLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 08:47 AM   #23
Drsagacity

Quote:
Originally Posted by laynlo15 View Post
Your guys did a great job, 4 days from start to finish is pretty stellar also and probably could have finish a little earlier if you'd had the correct tank pump. Glad I could help with the initial SC install and loading your first tune from you HP tuners. Great build and that thing is gonna be a wicked piece. See you on the dyno in a few weeks.
We do still have to button things up. Run wires for boost a pump and the gauges. I will pick the car up tomorrow and start data logging. But yeah, these guys were really good.

TBD performance
Old 08-08-2018, 08:51 AM   #24
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Sounds good! Sounds pretty mild for it being a rough idle cam...I wouldn't want any more then that, it's perfect!
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 08:54 AM   #25
Drsagacity

Quote:
The Wicked SS certainly has a sound befitting its name! I'm sure it will have the performance to back it up as well!
I'm about to follow almost exactly in your footsteps for my next phase. I will probably go with the smooth idle cam though. I like the stealth approach.
I'm anxious to see your dyno results and to get your overall impressions on this setup after living with it for a while. Have fun and keep us posted!

I really struggled with the rough idle vs smooth idle decision. In fact, I placed the original order with the smooth idle cam. Ted confirmed performance will be the same either way. I just decided at the end, I would enjoy the rough idle more, especially with the kids. Biggest question will be figuring out if this setup as drone, if so, I will change the axleback.

As far as performance, that's the beautiful part of going this route. Ted has a tried and true setup which kind of takes the guesswork out of it. I would expect 675whp on 93, 700whp on e85 and 770whp on race fuel. That's assuming I stay at 9psi and more likely, I will bump to 11 psi (so you can bump each config up by about 50whp).

May wait to bump boost when I get real tires.

TBD performance
Old 08-08-2018, 10:07 PM   #26
Drsagacity

Bam. I get to pick the car up tomorrow night. @tedjannetty, will start logging and get you the first info on Friday.

TBD performance
Old 08-09-2018, 08:44 AM   #27
ShizzySupra

Drives: 16' Camaro 2SS
I wish I could make ~820whp at 11 psi :( Good luck man should be a blast!

Quote:
I really struggled with the rough idle vs smooth idle decision. In fact, I placed the original order with the smooth idle cam. Ted confirmed performance will be the same either way. I just decided at the end, I would enjoy the rough idle more, especially with the kids. Biggest question will be figuring out if this setup as drone, if so, I will change the axleback.

As far as performance, that's the beautiful part of going this route. Ted has a tried and true setup which kind of takes the guesswork out of it. I would expect 675whp on 93, 700whp on e85 and 770whp on race fuel. That's assuming I stay at 9psi and more likely, I will bump to 11 psi (so you can bump each config up by about 50whp).

May wait to bump boost when I get real tires.
ShizzySupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 09:39 AM   #28
Charlie540i

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShizzySupra View Post
I wish I could make ~820whp at 11 psi :( Good luck man should be a blast!
My personal experience with the Maggy is 815-820whp with 13-14psi.
Charlie540i is offline   Reply With Quote